Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminism, are we actually equal? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKB2000)
    Wow u must know a lot of feminists to have made this conclusion, oh, or, or wait, has that? Yes well done for not thinking for yourself and consuming media, perfect example of the hyperdermic needle theorem. Roles should not be "built for men", I can't think of any roles in any films where a woman could not fill it! The same goes with men in women roles. But I guess that's because I'm an open minded (feminist) who believes that people can express and be how they want to be without societies bs gender roles.
    Gender roles are rational and based on the biological make up and strengths of men and women so that families and society can function properly and will be stable, feminists are so stupid and pathetic that they even claim gender is a social construct, that's how ridiculous feminists are.

Feminists only want women to be equally represented in the fields that they deem prestigious, they will never demand to make up 50% in construction, the police force, rubbish collectors, security guards and especially the military. Feminists also don't want men to give up priviledges they give to women like paying for drinks or dinner, not hitting women in situations in which they would if it was a man, opening doors for women, aiding women when in distress and so on.

Feminists should embrace femininity because it's their natural state and will endear themselves to men instead of trying to be like men and in competition with men. Women can never be like men physically, rationally or innovatively. Imagine if the military was made up totally of women, there would be so many problems that would arise from that.

ReputationRep:
    No, the odds are heavily against white males now, especially working class white males

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start this off by saying Feminism is equality for BOTH genders.
    Alright. Let me know how feminists have attempted to address the following issues:
    An overly feminised education system;
    Higher male suicide rates;
    The sentencing gap;
    The majority of domestic abuse shelters excluding men from entry;
    Men are more likely to be the victim of a violent crime;
    Breast cancer receiving more funding than prostate cancer;
    Child custody favouring women;
    The gynocentric nature of society (to be fair, humans have evolved to be gynocentric, so I don't know how this could fixed);
    Affirmative action policies excluding men (especially white men) from certain jobs.

Men should be allowed to cry without being called weak, women should be allowed to be strong without being called manly.
    Problem here is that this necessitates control over the reactions of others; this totalitarian attitude is completely unacceptable.
    But the actual action of being strong/crying, everyone can already do, regardless of gender.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brain Damage)
    Alright. Let me know how feminists have attempted to address the following issues:
    An overly feminised education system;
    Higher male suicide rates;
    The sentencing gap;
    The majority of domestic abuse shelters excluding men from entry;
    Men are more likely to be the victim of a violent crime;
    Breast cancer receiving more funding than prostate cancer;
    Child custody favouring women;
    The gynocentric nature of society (to be fair, humans have evolved to be gynocentric, so I don't know how this could fixed);
    Affirmative action policies excluding men (especially white men) from certain jobs.
    What have you done to address those issues?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    Gender roles are rational and based on the biological make up and strengths of men and women so that families and society can function properly and will be stable, feminists are so stupid and pathetic that they even claim gender is a social construct, that's how ridiculous feminists are.

Feminists only want women to be equally represented in the fields that they deem prestigious, they will never demand to make up 50% in construction, the police force, rubbish collectors, security guards and especially the military. Feminists also don't want men to give up priviledges they give to women like paying for drinks or dinner, not hitting women in situations in which they would if it was a man, opening doors for women, aiding women when in distress and so on.

Feminists should embrace femininity because it's their natural state and will endear themselves to men instead of trying to be like men and in competition with men. Women can never be like men physically, rationally or innovatively. Imagine if the military was made up totally of women, there would be so many problems that would arise from that.
    What century are u from? Jesus Christ it makes me so sad people think this.

No on deserves to be hit, man or woman, unless it is self defence.

Many woman do like splitting the bill, this was a society construct when woman were housewives and men where the "breadwinners", but as this is starting to move out of our society, this is not relevant anymore. And other "male privileges" u mentioned are general courtesy for either gender to follow.

In most of if not all countries Woman are not allowed to fight on the front line anyway in their military. Also many woman do work in the military, and if there weren't so many stereotypes that it is a mans job many more would be in that field.

Why would woman fight woman rights when it comes to garbage collectors?! Of course women don't fight for careers they, and most other people, do not want?! Why the hell would anyone fight for something and then not actually have anything to do with the thing they are fighting for?! currently there are many more important battles to fight for women.

It also isn't really their natural state anymore, many girls grow up being tomboys and many boys grow up wearing princess dresses and playing with barby's, both are completely normal, but they are told whilst their growing up by society they have to be (for men) independent, strong, masculine, which is so wrong, I understand that for some people it is the natural order, but these gender roles shouldn't be expected, it was necessary for survival back in the Stone Age, but not now.

Feminists believe that people can be who they want to be. Feminists believe that people can follow any career they want to follow. Feminists believe that we shouldn't judge others for being different, we should embrace them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    No, the odds are heavily against white males now, especially working class white males
    Really? Seriously ur gonna sit there and say that? I'm not arguing with u because u are likely a white male who thinks they are so "hard done by" getting to do whatever they like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    What have you done to address those issues?
    That's the difference. Guys are content with the system because we know there will always be these discrepancies. We can take it. We don't ***** and moan all day like feminists do. I don't mind fighting for my country if conscripted. I do not like the prospect of women getting blow apart by sharpnel in war.

If feminism is about equality you should gladly campaign for military service, more jobs in the sewage industry and construction. But no, you campaign only for what you deem prestigious. That entitilement is so disgusting to me and I'm sure many feel the same sentiment.

ReputationRep:
    Why would woman fight woman rights when it comes to garbage collectors?! Of course women don't fight for careers they, and most other people, do not want?!
    Because THAT is equality. Selective campaigning for prestigious positions while not adhering to triple D jobs is ENTITLEMENT.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azman Rahman)
    I do not like the prospect of women getting blow apart by sharpnel in war.
    Are you an anti war campaigner then?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start this off by saying Feminism is equality for BOTH genders, it is not "man hating" the only reason why people believe this is because the only extreme cases reach the media which often are just man hating protests. In my opinion we are still not equal even in first world countries. Just an example some people may recognise if a boy takes control of a group he's a leader, if a girl does the same she is bossy.
    Don't worry about the oppression going on in the Middle East, Africa, etc. we really need feminism because some girls get called bossy

ReputationRep:
    Really? Seriously ur gonna sit there and say that? I'm not arguing with u because u are likely a white male who thinks they are so "hard done by" getting to do whatever they like.
    Well it's pretty hard to argue against when it comes to young white men; because of past 'oppression' every other group is given special privileges, particularly with employment. The obvious problem is that past 'oppression' is not the fault of young white men yet they're disadvantaged to atone for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Are you an anti war campaigner then?
    Yes I am actually. I write columns in my school newspaper, and I have joined anti-war protests. I volunteer four times a month in a semi-government charity where I've built helped build houses, fix bridges, distribute food and medical aid to those in need as well. I helped implement the polio points system in my school to help end the epidemic as well. I did a Ted Talk Youth about the atrocities of war too.

Sit down, have a slice of humble pie and stop assuming everyone is as lazy and self interested as you.

ReputationRep:
    And once again I will say that u cannot compare sentencing time, there may be stats, but each individual case is different, u are being nieve in looking at the stats in a black and white way and ignoring the extremely important colour in this scenario.
    You can say the same about wages though no? I think you need to think again about why you're happy to compare one and not the other.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with what they said? White working class boys are so badly failed by the education system, They are the worst performing group in all levels of education and to add insult to injry ar told that they're privileged.

ReputationRep:
    Because THAT is equality. Selective campaigning for prestigious positions while not adhering to triple D jobs is ENTITLEMENT.
    What kind of argument is this? Why would anyone protest to be able to be a garbage collector?!

ReputationRep:
    That's the difference. Guys are content with the system because we know there will always be these discrepancies. We can take it. We don't ***** and moan all day like feminists do. I don't mind fighting for my country if conscripted. I do not like the prospect of women getting blow apart by sharpnel in war.

If feminism is about equality you should gladly campaign for military service, more jobs in the sewage industry and construction. But no, you campaign only for what you deem prestigious. That entitilement is so disgusting to me and I'm sure many feel the same sentiment.
    Not entitlement, just common sense. If ur going to fight for something u may as well fight for something that has at least some relevance to u, and many woman would therefor join a movement which encourages woman to have actual jobs instead of being the house wife (like we did)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    Don't worry about the oppression going on in the Middle East, Africa, etc. we really need feminism because some girls get called bossy
    It was an example and there are many more. Also what on earth can we do in the west to help woman being oppressed else where? I'm not just going to hop on a plane to the east and protest there?! So I will at least stand up for what I believe in here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    Well it's pretty hard to argue against when it comes to young white men; because of past 'oppression' every other group is given special privileges, particularly with employment. The obvious problem is that past 'oppression' is not the fault of young white men yet they're disadvantaged to atone for it
    Punished? Not really, white men still have the most opportunities out of all the groups, white men do not need any privileges because they already have them when their born. I think everyone should have equal opportunities when they are born, but this will likely never happen, but the least society can do is try.

ReputationRep:
    5/10 female: Wake up to 23 text messages waiting to be answered on your phone. Check your email/facebook/twitter and have 295 likes on that new selfie you took of yourself. You want more attention though, so you shower up, put some clothes on, put on the makeup, and snap a quick selfie of yourself that you quickly upload to facebook. Maybe this one will get you even more likes.

Get on the bus, and several men stand up to give you their seat. Meanwhile your phone is rattling with text messages of several white knights, two alpha studs, and your best friend who wants to go shopping. You get hit on by a nice guy on the bus who is slightly above average looking, but not good enough so you friendzone him before he asks for your number.

Get off the bus, head to class, where the professor gives a lecture on how women have it so difficult in England and how there is still male privilege out there. You grit your teeth at how unfair women have it. Men are pigs!

You check your facebook and you have 113 likes for your selfie (don't worry, it's still midday). You accidentally trip on your way to work and 29 men and several women come over to help you and ask you if you are ok and if they could help you walk to your destination. You refuse, and check on your cell phone. Sally is *****ing about Maggie, and although you hate them both, they are your best friends and you love it when they talk **** about each other to you, cause you love the drama.

After walking past a parade of men at work who tell you how amazing and pretty you are, you meet up with Travis for a quickie. He's a drug dealer, but he has a motorcycle and plays drums in a band. Who cares if he still lives with his parents and he's 27? He's hot.

After that, you meet up with your girlfriends to go clubbing. You are hit on by an uncountable amount of men, and after using several of them for free drinks, you ditch them and start dancing with your girlfriends. Several more average looking guys try to dance with you. Even a manlet tries to dance, and you laugh him off. Finally, you run into two hot guys and they start grinding up against you and your girlfriend. You leave the dance floor and go make out with one of them for awhile. Your fat girlfriend comes over to **** block you (after all, the night is still young) and you leave him to go find other hotter studs.

You notice in the bathroom that you've gained some weight. Who cares though, you're an indepdent woman, and men should learn to love women with curves. You gossip and take some more selfies with your girlfriends in the bathroom, then you head back out to the dance floor. As you dance some more, some fat of yours rubs up on another woman from another group, and she gets pissed. You throw your drink on her, and thousands of white knights come to aid both sides. The bouncer would kick you out, but you are unaccountable for your actions, since, after all, you are a woman.

A guy that looks like Brad Pitt comes over to talk to you. Sure, he's alright, but he's probably only 5'10 and not that cute. You make out with a few men, until you find a guy that looks like Thor who you bring home. You ditch your friends and get ****ed by alpha ****." In the morning you wake up to 38 text messages...and your selfie you uploaded yesterday had 374 likes! Today is going to be a good day!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's equality for either sex. Men are expected to be strong and the main provider. If they wear 'feminine' clothes people take the piss, yet no one blinks an eye at women wearing 'masculine' clothes. I think there's equally body image pressure on both sexes - women to be thin and curvy, men to be slim and muscular. I think because men are expected to be financially better and physically stronger, women are expected to be the opposite. It's all about societal norms and expectations, and I think we need to achieve equality for both sexes and not start a competition of who is more deprived of something. It's like a seesaw - both sides need to be equal for it to be balanced.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.