Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminism, are we actually equal? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKB2000)
    Not entitlement, just common sense. If ur going to fight for something u may as well fight for something that has at least some relevance to u, and many woman would therefor join a movement which encourages woman to have actual jobs instead of being the house wife (like we did)
    Yes women can choose what they want to get into but policies should not be made which coerce industries into hiring women and giving them priviledges which comes at the expense of men. Women would not demand or support to same in industries where women dominate like nurses. But the point still stands, if you want to socially engineer 50% representation by coersive laws then it should include all fields not just the one's you desire, you can't just cherry pick prestigious fields in the name of womens rights and equality, that proves you are demanding special rights and priviledges. This is why feminism is such a vile and sinister movement and a massive scourge to society.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start this off by saying Feminism is equality for BOTH genders, it is not "man hating" the only reason why people believe this is because the only extreme cases reach the media which often are just man hating protests. In my opinion we are still not equal even in first world countries.
    Care to make an argument as to how?

Just an example some people may recognise if a boy takes control of a group he's a leader, if a girl does the same she is bossy.
    Anecdotal cases do not necessarily constitute a trend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    Yes women can choose what they want to get into but policies should not be made which coerce industries into hiring women and giving them priviledges which comes at the expense of men. Women would not demand or support to same in industries where women dominate like nurses. But the point still stands, if you want to socially engineer 50% representation by coersive laws then it should include all fields not just the one's you desire, you can't just cherry pick prestigious fields in the name of womens rights and equality, that proves you are demanding special rights and priviledges. This is why feminism is such a vile and sinister movement and a massive scourge to society.
    Never said that women should get special privileges at all, all I am saying is that our social stereotypes cause all of this, and as a feminist I think the world would be a better place without these stereotypes. U twisted my words to fit ur definition of feminism.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Seriously ur gonna sit there and say that? I'm not arguing with u because u are likely a white male who thinks they are so "hard done by" getting to do whatever they like.
    Tell me, how many university bursaries are there exclusively for white people? How many are there exclusively for males? Compare that to minorities and females and you'll see one of many reasons why white males are being put behind females and minorities

ReputationRep:
    Really? Seriously ur gonna sit there and say that? I'm not arguing with u because u are likely a white male who thinks they are so "hard done by" getting to do whatever they like.
    Interesting you say "getting to do whatever they like", as if men have more rights than women (which is completely wrong). Also, can you not be so sexist and racist as to say "I'm not arguing with u because you are likely a white male", quite disgusting actually.

ReputationRep:
    not in the courts. men are often treated harsher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    What have you done to address those issues?
    Feminists only advocate for women's rights, which means they ignore these issues. They are selective in their advocacy. This wouldn't be a problem if they didn't claim to benefit both genders.

I don't do anything to promote any rights. I am not selective in my inaction, nor do I claim to be selective in it.

If feminists would claim to only benefit women, I wouldn't care if they ignored men's issues. MRAs can deal with men's issues, without claiming to care about women's issues, so why can't feminists do the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    *sweety
    LOL someone reported this???
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Nathan Scott)
    LOL someone reported this???
    ????? I don't follow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    ????? I don't follow.
    someone reported my reply to you/ it got deleted - I didn't say anything offensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azman Rahman)
    Women are treated equal to men if not better. The wage gap doesn't exist, you don't have military service, you can have kids, you have maternity leave for far longer and you earn more in your early twenties than men. You have far lighter criminal sentences and you are far more likely win custody of children. In case of a divorce you get the house. Men are also 5 times more likely to die at work than women.

But okay, I'll give you the bossy thing, because that isn't a huge generalization and factually incorrect for those above the age of four.
    Since when is the ability to give birth a point towards equality? Talk about clutching at straws, but all it does is emphasise your lack of argument.

There is a wage gap, yes you can remove it by statistically controlling for explanatory factors, I.e job position, and career field, but then you are manipulating your argument.

Men are still encouraged to enter higher earning fields, and senior roles. Not because they are more capable, or because they are born with an innate love for STEM or economics, but because of our social environment.

A boy is born with the expectation to be interested in engineering, a girl is born with the expectation to be interested in caring. For boys to enter such fields they conform, for girls to enter those fields they fight against the grain. Do not underestimate the power of that.

Yes in regards to legislation women are now equal. But there is still a lot of inequality in regards to attitudes, beliefs, and gender roles. And anyone with the slightest knowledge of psychology would understand the sheer significance of those factors on an individual's development and potential.

Blacks have had equal rights to whites in the US for years, therefore racism no longer exists in the US. That is your logic and it is reductionist and ignorant.

You completely disregard the effect of terms such as "bossy", but you are so naive to the effect that it has on an individual and societal scale.

Open your eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brain Damage)
    Feminists only advocate for women's rights, which means they ignore these issues. They are selective in their advocacy. This wouldn't be a problem if they didn't claim to benefit both genders.

I don't do anything to promote any rights. I am not selective in my inaction, nor do I claim to be selective in it.

If feminists would claim to only benefit women, I wouldn't care if they ignored men's issues. MRAs can deal with men's issues, without claiming to care about women's issues, so why can't feminists do the same?
    Because a lot of the sexism on a social not legislative scale effects men in a similar way. Therefore the goals of feminism would also benefit males.

For example, male mental health. Higher suicide rates in males is often used to counter-argue feminism. The argument presented is that males suffering mental health issues often feel reluctant to receive mental health care, and to even disclose their illness, because they believe that it is a sign of weakness.

1. The man should be strong.
    2. The man should not show emotions, because emotions are a sign of weakness.
    3. Emotions are a feminine characteristic, women are weaker, it is acceptable for women to be emotional. A man to be emotional is emasculating.

Men themselves often use the above explanations into why they believe males are often reluctant to disclose mental illness. Men are meant to be the strong one, the rock, the one who holds everyone together.

Do you see how that attitude can be damaging for men as well as women? But it's bull shi.t, men can and should be as emotional as us.

A lot of the issues that feminism fights, share a common ground with men. However no issue that an MRA fights will share a common ground with women.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Nathan Scott)
    someone reported my reply to you/ it got deleted - I didn't say anything offensive
    Lol, that's weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    Tell me, how many university bursaries are there exclusively for white people? How many are there exclusively for males? Compare that to minorities and females and you'll see one of many reasons why white males are being put behind females and minorities
    That's a bit like saying that poor people have huge advantages over rich people because there are loads of charities dedicated to helping the former but none to helping the latter.

Alternatively, in Wales there are shedloads of separate institutions for the Welsh language. Specific Boards, commissions, ministers, etc who exist solely for the purpose of facilitating and encouraging the use of Welsh. There are no equivalent bodies for the English language. Should we therefore draw the conclusion that Welsh is the dominant language in Wales, that it is easy to get by speaking only Welsh and that English is struggling to survive?

Or do you think it might just be possible that there is more dedicated to these particular groups precisely because they lack the advantages of their counterparts?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting you say "getting to do whatever they like", as if men have more rights than women (which is completely wrong). Also, can you not be so sexist and racist as to say "I'm not arguing with u because you are likely a white male", quite disgusting actually.
    when u can't win the argument so u just decide to leave important information out to twist things... I didn't say I'm not arguing with u because u are likely a white male, I said that u are likely a white male who feels hard done by getting to do whatever they want, white male was important in this context as it told the reader what group I am talking about. And equality isn't all about law, it's about being treated the same, which men and women are not, a white male has access to any career path they choose, any acting role they choose (unless it's based on true story and the lead is female which hardly ever happens anyway) look if u don't agree that men and women should be treated equally then fine, be like that, but that is the basis of my argument. Yes there are things where the scales may tip the other way, but when stuff like that happens we listen, but whenever there is anything unfair in society towards women, all the white males come out of the shadows and take the limelight off a real issue and nothing ends up solved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Since when is the ability to give birth a point towards equality? Talk about clutching at straws, but all it does is emphasise your lack of argument.

There is a wage gap, yes you can remove it by statistically controlling for explanatory factors, I.e job position, and career field, but then you are manipulating your argument.

Men are still encouraged to enter higher earning fields, and senior roles. Not because they are more capable, or because they are born with an innate love for STEM or economics, but because of our social environment.

A boy is born with the expectation to be interested in engineering, a girl is born with the expectation to be interested in caring. For boys to enter such fields they conform, for girls to enter those fields they fight against the grain. Do not underestimate the power of that.

Yes in regards to legislation women are now equal. But there is still a lot of inequality in regards to attitudes, beliefs, and gender roles. And anyone with the slightest knowledge of psychology would understand the sheer significance of those factors on an individual's development and potential.

Blacks have had equal rights to whites in the US for years, therefore racism no longer exists in the US. That is your logic and it is reductionist and ignorant.

You completely disregard the effect of terms such as "bossy", but you are so naive to the effect that it has on an individual and societal scale.

Open your eyes.
    Thank you that's what I was trying to say

ReputationRep:
    when u can't win the argument so u just decide to leave important information out to twist things... I didn't say I'm not arguing with u because u are likely a white male, I said that u are likely a white male who feels hard done by getting to do whatever they want, white male was important in this context as it told the reader what group I am talking about. And equality isn't all about law, it's about being treated the same, which men and women are not, a white male has access to any career path they choose, any acting role they choose (unless it's based on true story and the lead is female which hardly ever happens anyway) look if u don't agree that men and women should be treated equally then fine, be like that, but that is the basis of my argument. Yes there are things where the scales may tip the other way, but when stuff like that happens we listen, but whenever there is anything unfair in society towards women, all the white males come out of the shadows and take the limelight off a real issue and nothing ends up solved.
    A woman has access to any career path they choose! You're being completely ridiculous if you believe otherwise. I left out the bit after "white male" as it wasn't true, with the inclusion of "white male" being unneeded all together - I presume it's a sign of a minority female who feels the world is against them, or a white female who doesn't seem to understand how fair life is for her.

The fac thou wasted time writing half a paragraph on "if you don't agree that men and women should be treated equally". You know I never said that, and it's one of the ridiculous tactics employed by feminists to get out of the way from a real argument.

Your mention of "acting roles" is also ridiculous, Captain Marvel anyone? Men get their specific type adds the same way women get theirs, so stop with the STRAWMAN arguments please.

If you want to win an argument, you could start by making one - as opposed to spouting nonsensical ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    1) yes it does. The CVs were identical if recruiters are assuming that men will do more unpaid overtime then that's precisely the point. What's in your pants doesn't dictate your work ethic.
    2) yes it does. The cv was sent to academics and was developed by academics.
    4) source? That isn't true in the UK.
    Interesting report on blind hiring and how men are less likely to get interviews
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-3...-study/8664888

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    That's a bit like saying that poor people have huge advantages over rich people because there are loads of charities dedicated to helping the former but none to helping the latter.

Alternatively, in Wales there are shedloads of separate institutions for the Welsh language. Specific Boards, commissions, ministers, etc who exist solely for the purpose of facilitating and encouraging the use of Welsh. There are no equivalent bodies for the English language. Should we therefore draw the conclusion that Welsh is the dominant language in Wales, that it is easy to get by speaking only Welsh and that English is struggling to survive?

Or do you think it might just be possible that there is more dedicated to these particular groups precisely because they lack the advantages of their counterparts?
    1) The scholarships aren't only for poor people though, even rich females can gain grant Spurs,y because they're females

2) No, as the Welsh institutions don't provide an advantage for the people, so the argument is invalid

3) They don't lack advantages of their counterparts, because the genders are equal already.

ReputationRep:
    A woman has access to any career path they choose! You're being completely ridiculous if you believe otherwise. I left out the bit after "white male" as it wasn't true, with the inclusion of "white male" being unneeded all together - I presume it's a sign of a minority female who feels the world is against them, or a white female who doesn't seem to understand how fair life is for her.

The fac thou wasted time writing half a paragraph on "if you don't agree that men and women should be treated equally". You know I never said that, and it's one of the ridiculous tactics employed by simple minded feminists to get out of the way from a real argument.

Your mention of "acting roles" is also ridiculous, Captain Marvel anyone? Men get their specific type adds the same way women get theirs, so stop with the STRAWMAN arguments please.

If you want to win an argument, you could start by making one - as opposed to spouting nonsensical ****
    See my post above.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.