Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminism, are we actually equal? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliviaRose98!)
    See this is what I don't understand. By the Judge of this comment you would think women are taking over TV shows but really many men keep the main roles and why are you so angry about women having a key role? The doctor is a fictional character and he regenerates therefore he hasn't got a specific gender, I would understand if he was a historical character so you would have to be accurate in the gender. I think we should give her a chance she is a good actress, and when the time comes judge her as an individual, on whether she's a good doctor rather than her being a woman.
    This is just one thing among a wide range of things that feminists push for at the blatant expense of men, women have now become 60% of the students in universities because of these filthy feminists who demanded that women get preferencial consideration, and also every industry which feminists want women to represented by atleast 50% are coerced into hiring women just to make up the quota. If men are against anything that they push for then feminists will say they are sexist, misogynistic and against women's empowerment. Women are also blantanty given preferencial treatment in custody cases,child support cases, domestic violence cases and divorce settlements where they get so much of the man's money ( divorces which women predominantly initatiate ). Even now these vile feminists are still demanding more priviledges for women and perpetuating anti male narratives which they also know is disadvantaging men and also demonising them in the process, this is why i hate feminism and feminists so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    I take it, that you would have nothing against James Bond being a black muslim transgender female speaking with French accent?
    I take it that you feel like the world is coming to an end because a female playing a fictional character is threatening your very existence?

ReputationRep:
    I take it that you feel like the world is coming to an end because a female playing a fictional character is threatening your very existence?
    Rubbish. You just don't get an idea that people get used even to fictional characters, especially those iconic ones, like James Bond or doctor Who, who are with us for decades.
    Ignoring that, you're just sabotaging your case, because you're causing anger among those people whom you wish to convince. It is counterproductive and unnecessary. Nobody is going to replace Lara Croft with male character, then why can't you leave the male iconic characters as they are?

Moreover, your lacking sense of humor. I did everything that was possible to make the statement flashy and funny, yet you didn't catch it. You didn't even catch the joke on French. Where is the famous British sense of humor? Sad times are coming indeed.

Something to cheer us up:
    https://youtu.be/EsOu4xbFLOQ?t=4m43s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19fcN3VaXs4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    This is just one thing among a wide range of things that feminists push for at the blatant expense of men, women have now become 60% of the students in universities because of these filthy feminists who demanded that women get preferencial consideration, and also every industry which feminists want women to represented by atleast 50% are coerced into hiring women just to make up the quota. If men are against anything that they push for then feminists will say they are sexist, misogynistic and against women's empowerment. Women are also blantanty given preferencial treatment in custody cases,child support cases, domestic violence cases and divorce settlements where they get so much of the man's money ( divorces which women predominantly initatiate ). Even now these vile feminists are still demanding more priviledges for women and perpetuating anti male narratives which they also know is disadvantaging men and also demonising them in the process, this is why i hate feminism and feminists so much.
    i don't know about those statistics but I won't trust them as I don't know the source. You say a female doctor is at the expense of men? How? Men are represented and given key roles in a wide range of shows. There is a problem of women not allowing fathers to see his children and that needs to be challenged but to suggest that is always the case and in many cases children have to be with the mother if the father is violent (not all cases, and the court should decide on who is the fittest parent). But I can only speak from experience - my dad was a heavy drinker when I was young and abused my mum. My mum had the rights to me and my sister and I am so glad that I stayed with my mum. My mum allowed me to see my dad and now I have a fairly good relationship with him. Would you say I should've been with my dad? I see this is not the same in all cases which is my point, you see this as very black and white. Challenge women who deny fathers access to their children, challenge women who make men feel bad for being raped (which happens to women/girls a lot too you know) instead of getting hyped about trivial matters like a women playing a character.

I've seen men beat women and get away with it, am I judging every man? No, I used to understandably, but I've grown.

ReputationRep:
    i don't know about those statistics but I won't trust them as I don't know the source. You say a female doctor is at the expense of men? How? Men are represented and given key roles in a wide range of shows. There is a problem of women not allowing fathers to see his children and that needs to be challenged but to suggest that is always the case and in many cases children have to be with the mother if the father is violent (not all cases, and the court should decide on who is the fittest parent). But I can only speak from experience - my dad was a heavy drinker when I was young and abused my mum. My mum had the rights to me and my sister and I am so glad that I stayed with my mum. My mum allowed me to see my dad and now I have a fairly good relationship with him. Would you say I should've been with my dad? I see this is not the same in all cases which is my point, you see this as very black and white. Challenge women who deny fathers access to their children, challenge women who make men feel bad for being raped (which happens to women/girls a lot too you know) instead of getting hyped about trivial matters like a women playing a character.

I've seen men beat women and get away with it, am I judging every man? No, I used to understandably, but I've grown.

Like a typical feminist, you brush aside the totality of what was said and reduce it to a specific thing, like how you are saying i am concenttating on women playing a character, if you are able to read then you can clearly see i didn't just talk about that, that is simply 1 thing out of so many things, but of course feminists are the masters of deflecting and mischaracterising what is said by those who appose them. Men have so many problems but they don't constantly whine and cry about, let alone demand special treatment by the government in order to adress it, il put the link below so you can see just 10 of the things which men have to deal with. Feminists are so irrational that they are even saying that gender is a social construct, which is so silly because it undermine their agenda since if that's the case then why would they be fighting for women's right's in the first place and how can there be a gender gap if it's just a social construct, it shows how irrational and disingenious feminists are. As far as i am concerned feminists are among the most vile people in the world, and feminism is an absolute scourge to society, and the sooner feminism is gotten rid of the better and more and more people are now finallly seeing what feminism is really about, not what they disingeniously claim it is and so they won't able to brainwash people with their filth for much longer any more.

What you have said and the way you have twisted what i have said is so typical of feminists and makes me so angry, and further proves that you can't reason with feminists.

http://listverse.com/2013/06/25/10-e...ves-to-ignore/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    Like a typical feminist, you brush aside the totality of what was said and reduce it to a specific thing, like how you are saying i am concenttating on women playing a character, if you are able to read then you can clearly see i didn't just talk about that, that is simply 1 thing out of so many things, but of course vile feminists are the masters of deflecting and mischaracterising what is said by those who appose them. Men have so many problems but they don't constantly whine and cry about, let alone demand special treatment by the government in order to adress it, il put the link below so you can see just 10 of the things which men have to deal with. Feminists are so irrational that they are even saying that gender is a social construct, which is so silly because it undermine their agenda since if that's the case then why would they be fighting for women's right's in the first place and how can there be a gender gap if it's just a social construct, it shows how irrational and disingenious feminists are. As far as i am concerned feminists are among the most vile people in the world, and feminism is an absolute scourge to society, and the sooner feminism is gotten rid of the better and more and more people are now finallly seeing what feminism is really about, not what they disingeniously claim it is and so they won't able to brainwash people with their filth for much longer any more.

What you have said and the way you have twisted what i have said is so typical of feminists and makes me so angry, and further proves that you can't reason with feminists.

http://listverse.com/2013/06/25/10-e...ves-to-ignore/
    I picked out your stupid statement "This is just one thing among a wide range of things that feminists push for at the blatant expense of men" about a female doctor being at the expense of men which is just totally ridiculous and that is what we were debating to start with. You think women don't suffer inequalities too, I cannot reason with you when you think feminists are 'the most vile people in the world' there are extremists in all movements. I've achknowleged problems to do with how men may be diadvantaged but you refuse to acknowledge my points. Women are always stigmatised when it comes to rape for fear of being called a slut or being told it's their fault for being drunk, my auntie was called a slut for this when she was 13! So don't lecture me when I have seen things for myself. In cases when women are treated like objects, sisterhood matters and that doesn't mean men should be degraded or their struggles treated any less. There is no getting through to you so don't @ me again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKB2000)
    I'm going to start this off by saying Feminism is equality for BOTH genders, it is not "man hating" the only reason why people believe this is because the only extreme cases reach the media which often are just man hating protests. In my opinion we are still not equal even in first world countries. Just an example some people may recognise if a boy takes control of a group he's a leader, if a girl does the same she is bossy.
    Evidence? Maybe the girls manner is bossy. If a boy is overbearing then People just call him a swear word and ignore him for the most part. Is every girl in charge seen as bossy? Also does it matter? The people still do as they're told so how is this an inequality? What manifestly is unequal about that - ask the question so what? If the answer is nothing important then you're complaining for the sake of it.

Name something manifestly important that is an exclusively women's issue. Also if feminism has a bad rep for literally hundreds of lunatics in the movement either collectively disavow them or have some introspection and examine your rhetoric. One or two is bad apples. The amount feminism experiences is a core issue

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Yeah but doesn't stop there being a leftover hardship does there? Of course they'd disapprove of it. If women rarely pick STEM careers then that is not equality.

Like I said, when the income is so low as a whole, there's less room for difference. That is why there is a lower wage gap, there's less variation in income fill stop.

I didn't say political reasons for pay equality in Poland, I said political reasons for the low income in general...
    A low wage gap is a direct function of low wages as a whole.
    Ahh. Let's force them to pick STEM careers then. That'll solve the equality.

ReputationRep:
    It works hand in hand for equality for both genders. It breaks stereotypes that are dragging down both genders, for example women (stereotypically) are dependent, and men (stereotypically) are independent, both these stereotypes are wrong, but it's what's expected, feminists break the stereotypes, benefiting women and MEN.
    Sorry but that's just BS. The movement that help men are not feminists.

ReputationRep:
    Biologically men and women can never be truly equal. Equality is just a modern social construct when you think about it.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody should go watch the red pill documentary

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3686998/

ReputationRep:
    lol u people still arguing - I've just accepted that I can't change people opinions of feminism. Many times I've said a point and it's been ignored, only to receive a reply with the same thing I just replied to. I consider myself open minded, and after this discussion I do agree, that in some aspects men can be impacted harmfully by stereotypes as well, however I also realised again that feminism is about destroying these stereotypes benefiting men and women, and the society norms are extremely damaging to our future society, especially for young girls, constantly being told the only reason they got into uni is because of these grants and that was a mans place, even tho she likely got the same grades and did lots of extracurriculars. Girls grow up, and for those who want to do something which is male dominated, they have to fight against the grains, and each individual grain isn't that big, but a constant downfall of grain makes it extremely hard to get women into high places and repair societies previous failures. We are an ever evolving society, feminism helps this. End of argument for me, thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    lol u people still arguing - I've just accepted that I can't change people opinions of feminism. Many times I've said a point and it's been ignored, only to receive a reply with the same thing I just replied to. I consider myself open minded, and after this discussion I do agree, that in some aspects men can be impacted harmfully by stereotypes as well, however I also realised again that feminism is about destroying these stereotypes benefiting men and women, and the society norms are extremely damaging to our future society, especially for young girls, constantly being told the only reason they got into uni is because of these grants and that was a mans place, even tho she likely got the same grades and did lots of extracurriculars. Girls grow up, and for those who want to do something which is male dominated, they have to fight against the grains, and each individual grain isn't that big, but a constant downfall of grain makes it extremely hard to get women into high places and repair societies previous failures. We are an ever evolving society, feminism helps this. End of argument for me, thank you very much.
    Agreed!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Not particularly if you're looking at individual areas, but I don't think it's as big of an issue as it's made out to be sometimes. There are a lot of differences that stop us from being totally equal (maternity leave, pay, child custody etc). I don't think either sex is hugely oppressed either though. Individual people may be and that may be down to their sex, but I think we're about equal in our inequality if that makes sense. I also think that it is moving in the right direction and that in a lot of cases it's just something leftover from previous generations that hasn't been looked at yet. I think a lot of it is technicalities and legal stuff that still needs to be changed rather than public opinion.

(I am talking in terms of the western world. There are obviously a lot of places where sexism and inequality are big issues.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.