Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any experience of doing a BSc in Biochemistry, then going on to be a biomedical scientist?
    My degree was not IBMS accredited, so I'm wondering if I should do the 'top up modules' (after I send off an application and they tell me which ones to do) or should I do an accredited MSc in Biomedical Science/something similar?
    Any help would be great as I'm finding it a bit confusing as there's not too much info out there regarding postgraduate Biomedical Science courses and accreditation etc...
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielleleeds5)
    Does anyone have any experience of doing a BSc in Biochemistry, then going on to be a biomedical scientist?
    My degree was not IBMS accredited, so I'm wondering if I should do the 'top up modules' (after I send off an application and they tell me which ones to do) or should I do an accredited MSc in Biomedical Science/something similar?
    Any help would be great as I'm finding it a bit confusing as there's not too much info out there regarding postgraduate Biomedical Science courses and accreditation etc...
    Thanks!
    Unfortunately you've made a crucial mistake if you want to become a Biomedical Scientist. The HCPC will not accept an IBMS-accredited Master's because it misses out key content that would be studied at undergraduate level.

You need to do the Top-Up modules, and unfortunately I suspect they will be expensive for you given that your degree essentially covers 1 small area of the content they want you to cover. It is quite plausable that they may even tell you that you need to study a second degree. You've covered biochemistry, yes, but you've missed genetics, microbiology, cellular pathology, haematology, tranfusion science, immunology etc. The HCPC registration portfolio is a generic portfolio. Once you have that you can work as a BMS in any discipline. They can't have somebody who has only studied Biochemistry working in a Microbiology laboratory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeBMS)
    Unfortunately you've made a crucial mistake if you want to become a Biomedical Scientist. The HCPC will not accept an IBMS-accredited Master's because it misses out key content that would be studied at undergraduate level.

You need to do the Top-Up modules, and unfortunately I suspect they will be expensive for you given that your degree essentially covers 1 small area of the content they want you to cover. It is quite plausable that they may even tell you that you need to study a second degree. You've covered biochemistry, yes, but you've missed genetics, microbiology, cellular pathology, haematology, tranfusion science, immunology etc. The HCPC registration portfolio is a generic portfolio. Once you have that you can work as a BMS in any discipline. They can't have somebody who has only studied Biochemistry working in a Microbiology laboratory.
    I see, thanks for your reply
    Would having done microbiology, genetics modules etc not even be enough? I have done Genetics, Molecular biology, cellular biology, microbiology, cancer biology, immunology, bioinformatics, physiology and epidemiology over the course of my degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielleleeds5)
    I see, thanks for your reply
    Would having done microbiology, genetics modules etc not even be enough? I have done Genetics, Molecular biology, cellular biology, microbiology, cancer biology, immunology, bioinformatics, physiology and epidemiology over the course of my degree.
    If it's a BSc Biochemistry degree then I doubt it is to the extent that the IBMS want, but get them to assess the degree and see what they say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.