Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any experience of doing a BSc in Biochemistry, then going on to be a biomedical scientist?
    My degree was not IBMS accredited, so I'm wondering if I should do the 'top up modules' (after I send off an application and they tell me which ones to do) or should I do an accredited MSc in Biomedical Science/something similar?
    Any help would be great as I'm finding it a bit confusing as there's not too much info out there regarding postgraduate Biomedical Science courses and accreditation etc...
    Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Danielleleeds5)
    Does anyone have any experience of doing a BSc in Biochemistry, then going on to be a biomedical scientist?
    My degree was not IBMS accredited, so I'm wondering if I should do the 'top up modules' (after I send off an application and they tell me which ones to do) or should I do an accredited MSc in Biomedical Science/something similar?
    Any help would be great as I'm finding it a bit confusing as there's not too much info out there regarding postgraduate Biomedical Science courses and accreditation etc...
    Thanks!
    Unfortunately you've made a crucial mistake if you want to become a Biomedical Scientist. The HCPC will not accept an IBMS-accredited Master's because it misses out key content that would be studied at undergraduate level.

You need to do the Top-Up modules, and unfortunately I suspect they will be expensive for you given that your degree essentially covers 1 small area of the content they want you to cover. It is quite plausable that they may even tell you that you need to study a second degree. You've covered biochemistry, yes, but you've missed genetics, microbiology, cellular pathology, haematology, tranfusion science, immunology etc. The HCPC registration portfolio is a generic portfolio. Once you have that you can work as a BMS in any discipline. They can't have somebody who has only studied Biochemistry working in a Microbiology laboratory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeBMS)
    Unfortunately you've made a crucial mistake if you want to become a Biomedical Scientist. The HCPC will not accept an IBMS-accredited Master's because it misses out key content that would be studied at undergraduate level.

You need to do the Top-Up modules, and unfortunately I suspect they will be expensive for you given that your degree essentially covers 1 small area of the content they want you to cover. It is quite plausable that they may even tell you that you need to study a second degree. You've covered biochemistry, yes, but you've missed genetics, microbiology, cellular pathology, haematology, tranfusion science, immunology etc. The HCPC registration portfolio is a generic portfolio. Once you have that you can work as a BMS in any discipline. They can't have somebody who has only studied Biochemistry working in a Microbiology laboratory.
    I see, thanks for your reply
    Would having done microbiology, genetics modules etc not even be enough? I have done Genetics, Molecular biology, cellular biology, microbiology, cancer biology, immunology, bioinformatics, physiology and epidemiology over the course of my degree.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Danielleleeds5)
    I see, thanks for your reply
    Would having done microbiology, genetics modules etc not even be enough? I have done Genetics, Molecular biology, cellular biology, microbiology, cancer biology, immunology, bioinformatics, physiology and epidemiology over the course of my degree.
    If it's a BSc Biochemistry degree then I doubt it is to the extent that the IBMS want, but get them to assess the degree and see what they say.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.