Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Occupational Health Worries Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm ecstatic that I have been given a conditional offer to study to become a teacher!

However I feel very wary and a bit worried of occupational health. I have submitted a form to them and they want me to call an occupational health nurse for a few minutes about questions I have answered yes to. (I answered yes to mental health - work related stress and musculoskeletal injury) despite me explaining each instance and that I have recovered.

I have suffered from work related stress (due to an unreasonable manager - and later reaffirmed by HR) and had to have six weeks off, then I returned to work for a good year and a half before leaving that job. It has been almost two years since that and I feel fine. As for the muscularskeletal injury - I fell off my bike and recovered a few weeks later.

I am probably worrying over nothing, but has anyone had a similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forestmath)
    Hi, I'm ecstatic that I have been given a conditional offer to study to become a teacher!

However I feel very wary and a bit worried of occupational health. I have submitted a form to them and they want me to call an occupational health nurse for a few minutes about questions I have answered yes to. (I answered yes to mental health - work related stress and musculoskeletal injury) despite me explaining each instance and that I have recovered.

I have suffered from work related stress (due to an unreasonable manager - and later reaffirmed by HR) and had to have six weeks off, then I returned to work for a good year and a half before leaving that job. It has been almost two years since that and I feel fine. As for the muscularskeletal injury - I fell off my bike and recovered a few weeks later.

I am probably worrying over nothing, but has anyone had a similar situation?
    I'd very much doubt you have anything to be concerned about. They probably just want to know how they can support you better.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, they just want to find out if they need to make any recommendations to the school to support you / enable you to do your job. In some cases the reasons for this are blindingly obvious, if you're in a wheelchair say. Ultimately it is against the law for them to discriminate against you, so they can only really provide positive things. If there was something that was an absolute barrier to you becoming an effective teacher then I guess that would be a problem, but this obviously isn't the case here. I had to have a phone call too about a different issue (but similar in that I have completely recovered from it), its absolutely nothing to worry about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.