Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do People Withstand Pain? Watch

Announcements

I was playing basketball and as I jumped to get the ball into the hoop, I accidentally lost balance and landed on the side of the foot. It was one of the most painful experience I've ever had and found it very difficult to even stand up.

I thought that it was a serious injury as it was very painful. I went to the hospital's casualty department with my mom. As I was waiting, there was a sudden chaos and a man covered with blood, who has likely been stabbed multiple times was rushed into the department. He was unconscious and probably had deep wounds.

It was such an heartbreaking experience to see him in that condition. That really got me thinking too. So many terrible things have happened in the past and continue to happen. Probably even more painful than what had happened to the man. How to people withstand such a pain? I felt that the basketball jump pain was unbearable but I can't even imagine how people bear a stab. I would much rather prefer dying than bearing such a pain .
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was playing basketball and as I jumped to get the ball into the hoop, I accidentally lost balance and landed on the side of the foot. It was one of the most painful experience I've ever had and found it very difficult to even stand up.

I thought that it was a serious injury as it was very painful. I went to the hospital's casualty department with my mom. As I was waiting, there was a sudden chaos and a man covered with blood, who has likely been stabbed multiple times was rushed into the department. He was unconscious and probably had deep wounds.

It was such an heartbreaking experience to see him in that condition. That really got me thinking too. So many terrible things have happened in the past and continue to happen. Probably even more painful than what had happened to the man. How to people withstand such a pain? I felt that the basketball jump pain was unbearable but I can't even imagine how people bear a stab. I would much rather prefer dying than bearing such a pain .

Injuries are going to hurt, some people tend to pretend that it doesn't so they appear stronger. For serious injuries, strong painkillers are administered but of course getting stabbed is going to hurt. I'm sorry to hear about your foot though, give it time to heal.

ReputationRep:
    In the event of the stabbing, adrenaline is running so pain is lessened for a short while as it's a survival instinct. To a lesser extent it's the same with boxers, mms practioners etc. I had the same thing when I injured my arm in judo 6 weeks ago. You carry on for a while then the pain kicks in. You still feel it. It's just a lot worse later.

ReputationRep:
    Some people also have higher pain thresholds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.