The Student Room Group

A Level Help: English Literature or Economics A Level?

As the start of sixth form is approaching, I have been having second thoughts about one of my chosen A Level subjects. Now, I did Economics at GCSE and I was awarded the Subject Award in both Year 10 and 11 for Economics. However, I found it very dull and I wasn't motivated to study at all. Despite the fact that I didn't do a GCSE in English Literature I deeply regret not taking it and throughout Year 11 I was determined to take it for A Level at Sixth Form. I am not sure on what I want to do at uni yet, but there is a possibility that I apply for something Economics/Business related although I doubt it. My other A Level subjects are Maths, Biology, Physics and Spanish. Any opinions on what I should pick? Cheers
Original post by solark
As the start of sixth form is approaching, I have been having second thoughts about one of my chosen A Level subjects. Now, I did Economics at GCSE and I was awarded the Subject Award in both Year 10 and 11 for Economics. However, I found it very dull and I wasn't motivated to study at all. Despite the fact that I didn't do a GCSE in English Literature I deeply regret not taking it and throughout Year 11 I was determined to take it for A Level at Sixth Form. I am not sure on what I want to do at uni yet, but there is a possibility that I apply for something Economics/Business related although I doubt it. My other A Level subjects are Maths, Biology, Physics and Spanish. Any opinions on what I should pick? Cheers

A-level lit, in my opinion, is one of the toughest A-levels out there and I wouldn't want you to get halfway through the year and give up. So look into it, understand what it's about, speak to students/teachers about what it involves before making a decision.

For Econ/business related things, maths is most likely the only thing you need so don't feel pressured to do Econ. If it was boring at gcse then again, check the content and experiences at A-level (the online specifications are a good place to dtart) and see whether your opinion changes - there's nothing worse than studying something boring.
Reply 2
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
A-level lit, in my opinion, is one of the toughest A-levels out there and I wouldn't want you to get halfway through the year and give up. So look into it, understand what it's about, speak to students/teachers about what it involves before making a decision.

For Econ/business related things, maths is most likely the only thing you need so don't feel pressured to do Econ. If it was boring at gcse then again, check the content and experiences at A-level (the online specifications are a good place to dtart) and see whether your opinion changes - there's nothing worse than studying something boring.

Thank you so much for replying! Well yes I did have a chat with some of my friends who took Lit both as an AS and as a full A Level and everyone loved it and full on encouraged me to choose it as one of my options. On the other hand, a couple of friends who do Economics said it gets much tougher at A Level compared to GCSE :frown:
If you found economics "dull" at GCSE, don't you think you'll find it "dull" at A Level and beyond?

Imo, you should take English literature because it's a subject you might enjoy. A risk to this is that you might not enjoy it and then potentially struggle with it.

Economics A Level is not required for an economics degree.
Original post by solark

I did Literature and loved it (especially at AS). If you take an interest in past literature and reading you'll enjoy literature. It should be easy to pick up even without GCSE experience as AS is more of a gateway year. However I'll be honest in saying it does get very tedious sometimes, especially during exam season. But I'd say go for it.
As for economics it'll be useful if you want to go into that sort of career, but not essential if you're studying A-level Maths anyways. Also..
You want to take 5 A-Levels???
Anyways good luck!
For A Level Past Papers and Ebooks, please visit www.study.aliensservices.com

Quick Reply

Latest