Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a student starting (Hopefully) at BIMM Manchester this year, I have already done a first year at staffs that was daunting and I am into my overdraft quite a lot.

As some of you may know BIMM does not offer accommodation, so you have to apply for it separately, also BIMM requires a deposit of around £585 before you initially start the course to secure your place.

I have had such a nightmare trying to secure accommodation, which i have now done however it is super expensive and they are asking for instalments before starting and I have a week to cancel and get my deposit back (hence posting here)

I cannot give them any money until I get my student loan in september (As I dont start my course until then.) and once I do I will have no student loan left to live on.

I want to contact landlords to try and sort this and see if i can stay in a shared house but I don't have any rent money to give to them until I get these student loans. I only have just enough for my course deposit and about 400 spare (including deposit I just paid to halls).

Do I risk going without accommodation secured until close to october and see if there is any places left? Or do I contact Unite (current halls i secured and see if they can set up a personal payment plan to fi around me and just bank on getting a job!?

Does anybody know if I am applicable for any grants or anything?

My mother is disabled and doesnt have an income and I dont have a father, so I cant really rely on anybody to ask for financial help.

Many thanks,

Kie

Edit: ( I have also been debating staying at home and travelling as its only 1 bus and 45 minutes on a train that isn't that expensive or even getting a car out of the student loans that would be my rent)

ReputationRep:
    hi Kiehave you gone on the BIMM manchester FB page? also there are a load of essential docs that BIMM have on the website, which includes a accommodation guide - you can see this at http://www.bimm.co.uk/essential-documents/Also you may want to speak to the admissions guys about this, my experience is they are really helpfulthanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 25, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.