Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a student starting (Hopefully) at BIMM Manchester this year, I have already done a first year at staffs that was daunting and I am into my overdraft quite a lot.

As some of you may know BIMM does not offer accommodation, so you have to apply for it separately, also BIMM requires a deposit of around £585 before you initially start the course to secure your place.

I have had such a nightmare trying to secure accommodation, which i have now done however it is super expensive and they are asking for instalments before starting and I have a week to cancel and get my deposit back (hence posting here)

I cannot give them any money until I get my student loan in september (As I dont start my course until then.) and once I do I will have no student loan left to live on.

I want to contact landlords to try and sort this and see if i can stay in a shared house but I don't have any rent money to give to them until I get these student loans. I only have just enough for my course deposit and about 400 spare (including deposit I just paid to halls).

Do I risk going without accommodation secured until close to october and see if there is any places left? Or do I contact Unite (current halls i secured and see if they can set up a personal payment plan to fi around me and just bank on getting a job!?

Does anybody know if I am applicable for any grants or anything?

My mother is disabled and doesnt have an income and I dont have a father, so I cant really rely on anybody to ask for financial help.

Many thanks,

Kie

Edit: ( I have also been debating staying at home and travelling as its only 1 bus and 45 minutes on a train that isn't that expensive or even getting a car out of the student loans that would be my rent)

ReputationRep:
    hi Kiehave you gone on the BIMM manchester FB page? also there are a load of essential docs that BIMM have on the website, which includes a accommodation guide - you can see this at http://www.bimm.co.uk/essential-documents/Also you may want to speak to the admissions guys about this, my experience is they are really helpfulthanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.