Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to tutor GCSE Maths ; how do I go about doing this ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi so when I go back to uni in Nottingham I'd quite like to tutor gcse maths to get some teaching experience and also the money...

How would I go about doing this exactly, as all I have is GCSEs and alevels and first year of a maths degree f and no like DRB check ?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    Hi so when I go back to uni in Nottingham I'd quite like to tutor gcse maths to get some teaching experience and also the money...

How would I go about doing this exactly, as all I have is GCSEs and stuff and no like DRB check ?

Thanks
    Define: 'and stuff'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Define: 'and stuff'.
    I have an A in Alevel Maths and an A in AS further maths and I'm going into my second year of a maths degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    I have an A in Alevel Maths and an A in AS further maths and I'm going into my second year of a maths degree
    The fact that you're a second year Maths university student stands you in good stead, certainly for GCSE level. We have a fair number of threads by A level students asking if it would work for them to become tutors, and the answer is nearly always 'no' - they forget that it's the parents of the students who are doing the employing, not the students themselves, and parents will be wary of paying out significant sums of money for tutors who are themselves still going through public examinations.

There is an expectation that you'd be very au fait with all the current specifications for the level at which you want to teach. Do you have any experience of teaching and/or tutoring? There is much more to it than just sitting down with someone and going through content - an effective tutor needs to understand how their tutee learns, develop an understanding and awareness of how to structure and develop a session tailored to the student concerned, rather than a generic, 'cookie-cutter' style of teaching.

I'm not trying to put you off, but to just highlight some things you might want to think about. Tutoring always appears very appealing in its apparent simplicity and lucrativeness, but it can be quite a challenge to do it well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    The fact that you're a second year Maths university student stands you in good stead, certainly for GCSE level. We have a fair number of threads by A level students asking if it would work for them to become tutors, and the answer is nearly always 'no' - they forget that it's the parents of the students who are doing the employing, not the students themselves, and parents will be wary of paying out significant sums of money for tutors who are themselves still going through public examinations.

There is an expectation that you'd be very au fait with all the current specifications for the level at which you want to teach. Do you have any experience of teaching and/or tutoring? There is much more to it than just sitting down with someone and going through content - an effective tutor needs to understand how their tutee learns, develop an understanding and awareness of how to structure and develop a session tailored to the student concerned, rather than a generic, 'cookie-cutter' style of teaching.

I'm not trying to put you off, but to just highlight some things you might want to think about. Tutoring always appears very appealing in its apparent simplicity and lucrativeness, but it can be quite a challenge to do it well.
    I don't really have much teaching experience besides random times I've down work experience at primary schools and at a special needs school

ReputationRep:
    I've been a maths tutor for 17 years, and I started as a second year maths undergraduate. There is more to tutoring maths than you think. Apart from a deep familiarity with the syllabus you'll need to have thought of how to explain all the different concepts from multiplication through to solving quadratics. Have you?

Then, what order do you do these? How do you decide where to start? How do you know how good your student is already?

The only way to get started is to gain experience offering yourself at a relatively low rate say £10-£15 an hour and see if you get any takers. There is a website called First Tutors that is free to use. Feel free to DM me for any further advice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.