Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Birthday money, PLEASE HELP! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ive just turned 16 and my so did my mates a few weeks ago. I put £10 in all of there cards sinse it is a special birthday, however in my card I received £5 from my friends. Naturally I was a bit annoyed, I didn't say anything at the time as it would have spoilt the party. Should I just forget about it or is there a way of telling them without ruining my friendships? Thanks 😊
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous Sponge)
    Ive just turned 16 and my so did my mates a few weeks ago. I put £10 in all of there cards sinse it is a special birthday, however in my card I received £5 from my friends. Naturally I was a bit annoyed, I didn't say anything at the time as it would have spoilt the party. Should I just forget about it or is there a way of telling them without ruining my friendships? Thanks 😊
    Moved to Friends, Family and Work.

I wouldn't say anything. It's the thought that counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Moved to Friends, Family and Work.

I wouldn't say anything. It's the thought that counts.
    Ok I'll just forget it, thanks

ReputationRep:
    This, very much, is life. You wanted to give them a tenner - that's what matters. You didn't give them a tenner solely to receive a tenner back, did you?

Don't take it personally. For all you know, you might be comparatively rich amongst your friends, and they would have loved to give you £10 but just couldn't afford it. It's not something to make a fuss about, and certainly not a conversation topic.

ReputationRep:
    Something about this thread that makes me sad.

Best thing is just to leave it, unless money means more to you than your friendship.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why anyone needs to break up because someone didn't give them a tenner fit their bday.
    It's not that deep, OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Something about this thread that makes me sad.

Best thing is just to leave it, unless money means more to you than your friendship.
    This

ReputationRep:
    Forget about it...the friendship is more important

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This , is hilarious !

OP, phone the police and report your friends for this offense (iveness)

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I'd be a little upset too. But, I think you should hold off on giving someone a gift you know they wouldn't willingly give back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It is also my birthday today XD

I don't think 5 pounds makes much of a difference.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I put £10 in all of there cards sinse it is a special birthday, however in my card I received £5 from my friends.
    If you want to give something to someone or do a good deed for someone, you shouldn't do it with the expectations that you'll receive something in return because you'll end up disappointed.

Do something for good intentions.

ReputationRep:
    You have them something just so you could benefit from them in the future?

ReputationRep:
    Give dat bih £2.50 next year m8

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies, some very helpful responses. I will just forget about it as the friendships are more important than the money at the end of the day

ReputationRep:
    i would be a bit annoyed as well but just shrug it off.. just dont give em better presents than they deserve next year
    • Very Important Poster

I can see your point and it would irk me a little, but best put it to one side as people have suggested. Its not worth the effort. Give a gift without expectation of return and if it worries you then give something worth £5 next time or dont give at all.

Also as RC pointed out give £10 to expect £10 back seems a little odd? Just like swapping money.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be annoyed but it's not worth losing a friendship over

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies, some very helpful responses. I will just forget about it as the friendships are more important than the money at the end of the day
    Lmfao @ you # anonymous sponger !

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.