Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RAF CBAT August. Experiences? Tips? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I understand this topic has been covered from almost every angle but, has anybody else got their CBAT coming up?

What are you doing to prepare yourselves for this? I'm trying to prepare as much as possible, familiarising myself with as much of the CBAT testing as possible, from the information given directly from the RAF.

I'm applying for the pilots role, and I understand that the score required is 112? But they're looking for scores 121+ as a competitive score? Could anybody who has recently completed their CBAT share there scores and experiences?

As a final note, I understand that it is an aptitude test, and a lot of it comes down to natural ability, nevertheless, I've always found preparation to be key, and it has always paid off for me so far in life.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hallsty)
    Hello,

I understand this topic has been covered from almost every angle but, has anybody else got their CBAT coming up?

What are you doing to prepare yourselves for this? I'm trying to prepare as much as possible, familiarising myself with as much of the CBAT testing as possible, from the information given directly from the RAF.

I'm applying for the pilots role, and I understand that the score required is 112? But they're looking for scores 121+ as a competitive score? Could anybody who has recently completed their CBAT share there scores and experiences?

As a final note, I understand that it is an aptitude test, and a lot of it comes down to natural ability, nevertheless, I've always found preparation to be key, and it has always paid off for me so far in life.

Thanks!
    Hi Hallsty,

I'm fresh from the whole process having had an offer for Pilot with IOT coming up towards the end of the year. Feel free to PM me or ask any further questions here.

As you have mentioned, there is very little you can do to prepare for the CBAT as it is intended to mark against natural ability as opposed to something practiced (apart from SDT)

In regards to scores, you shouldn't stress about this too much. Remember you have more opportunities to prove yourself in the event you get a low pass at CBAT. However, i was speaking to a candidate on the same IOT as me for Pilot that said he got a CBAT score of 170+ and subsequently passed. I didn't do quite so well with a score of 150+ but managed to secure a place too.

My first piece of advice would be to forget that you're trying to hit a target score. There is nothing more demotivating that making a mistake during the CBAT test and that magic 112 niggling in the back of your mind. You're there to do your best and you can't do that if you're distracted by the idea of "hitting a particular number"

My second piece of advice would be to remember that these test are designed to be difficult , even impossible in some instances. you may complete some tests feeling absolutely distraught about the performance you just put in (I certainly thought i had failed before i received my debrief). However, You need to focus and display mental resilience so with each new test, take a deep breath, forget the previous objective and tackle the next with refreshed determination.

Finally, play games. Or make your own games. Memory and multi tasking are huge elements of the CBAT. I absolutely rinsed memory games. For example: get a friend/family member, get out a chess board and label the rows/columns. Then ask who ever is assisting you to put 3 pieces in random locations on the board, you then get to look at the board for say 30 seconds to start with. Then ask the assistant to move the pieces to other random places on the board while you are turned away for 30 secs. Once the pieces are moved you turn back around and scan the board. The challenge would be to identify which piece has moved to which tile from where. (Black rook has moved from G3 to B7 for example) Each round a new piece is added to the game until you make 3 strikes. Be creative and diversify what you're doing (Get your friend to randomly add in pieces that shouldn't be there etc) to keep it fresh and mentally engaging.

At the end of the day the CBAT is pretty much a 7+ hour mental challenge. The best practice is to prepare yourself for remaining mentally focused for that time by exposing yourself to prolonged mental activity.

Again, let me know if you have any other questions bud or if you feel it would be easier to speak on the phone, i'm happy to help where i can.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel Bistro)
    Hi Hallsty,

I'm fresh from the whole process having had an offer for Pilot with IOT coming up towards the end of the year. Feel free to PM me or ask any further questions here.

As you have mentioned, there is very little you can do to prepare for the CBAT as it is intended to mark against natural ability as opposed to something practiced (apart from SDT)

In regards to scores, you shouldn't stress about this too much. Remember you have more opportunities to prove yourself in the event you get a low pass at CBAT. However, i was speaking to a candidate on the same IOT as me for Pilot that said he got a CBAT score of 170+ and subsequently passed. I didn't do quite so well with a score of 150+ but managed to secure a place too.

My first piece of advice would be to forget that you're trying to hit a target score. There is nothing more demotivating that making a mistake during the CBAT test and that magic 112 niggling in the back of your mind. You're there to do your best and you can't do that if you're distracted by the idea of "hitting a particular number"

My second piece of advice would be to remember that these test are designed to be difficult , even impossible in some instances. you may complete some tests feeling absolutely distraught about the performance you just put in (I certainly thought i had failed before i received my debrief). However, You need to focus and display mental resilience so with each new test, take a deep breath, forget the previous objective and tackle the next with refreshed determination.

Finally, play games. Or make your own games. Memory and multi tasking are huge elements of the CBAT. I absolutely rinsed memory games. For example: get a friend/family member, get out a chess board and label the rows/columns. Then ask who ever is assisting you to put 3 pieces in random locations on the board, you then get to look at the board for say 30 seconds to start with. Then ask the assistant to move the pieces to other random places on the board while you are turned away for 30 secs. Once the pieces are moved you turn back around and scan the board. The challenge would be to identify which piece has moved to which tile from where. (Black rook has moved from G3 to B7 for example) Each round a new piece is added to the game until you make 3 strikes. Be creative and diversify what you're doing (Get your friend to randomly add in pieces that shouldn't be there etc) to keep it fresh and mentally engaging.

At the end of the day the CBAT is pretty much a 7+ hour mental challenge. The best practice is to prepare yourself for remaining mentally focused for that time by exposing yourself to prolonged mental activity.

Again, let me know if you have any other questions bud or if you feel it would be easier to speak on the phone, i'm happy to help where i can.

Cheers
    Firstly, congratulations on your offer! Secondly, thank you for your reply, it's exactly the sort of information I was looking to find. I may take up your offer to speak, I'd find that very beneficial! I'll send you a Pm. Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    What date do you have your CBAT Hallsty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K9xEm)
    What date do you have your CBAT Hallsty?
    Mine is on the 9th and 10th of August. Are you doing yours in August also?

ReputationRep:
    Mine is on the 7th/8th of August. I can let you know what it’s like afterwards? Was hoping to find someone going on the same day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K9xEm)
    Mine is on the 7th/8th of August. I can let you know what it’s like afterwards? Was hoping to find someone going on the same day!
    That would be great, thanks! Best of luck for the 7th/8th!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K9xEm)
    I'll be there on those dates. What trade are you going for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malt007)
    I'll be there on those dates. What trade are you going for?
    Awesome! I’m going for Wsop, pretty nervous 😂 how about you? What are you going for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K9xEm)
    Awesome! I’m going for Wsop, pretty nervous 😂 how about you? What are you going for?
    SNCO ATC. I know, same here -even though you read and revise as much as you can about it - it is still nerve wracking! I wonder how many will be on our day.

ReputationRep:
    How did you guys do? I am currently in Cranwell now, and got 157! So happy! I legitimately thought I'd failed too haha

ReputationRep:
    How did you guys do? I am currently in Cranwell now, and got 157! So happy! I legitimately thought I'd failed too haha
    That’s amazing! Well done, I passed for WSOp 😀 it does make you feel like you failed miserably, got my filter interview in 2 weeks time so things are moving quick 💪

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K9xEm)
    That’s amazing! Well done, I passed for WSOp 😀 it does make you feel like you failed miserably, got my filter interview in 2 weeks time so things are moving quick 💪
    Congrats! Have you had your interview yet? Mine is next week! I feel like that part will be okay, bit worried about the medical, as quite a few people have mentioned how Capita can be quite harsh.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! Have you had your interview yet? Mine is next week! I feel like that part will be okay, bit worried about the medical, as quite a few people have mentioned how Capita can be quite harsh.
    Had my interview today and passed! Yeah me too, I’m waiting on capita now. I’m worried as I’ve heard stories about them too 🙄

ReputationRep:
    Great advice in here, I taking my CBAT on the 21st September, anyone else there at the same time? Going for ABM. I've been using this site to practice SDT, http://www.speeddistancetime.info/test

The following link is for Fuel Consumption practice, http://www.speeddistancetime.info/fuel-test can anyone comment if I am on the right track with these. They seem really hard without the use of a calculator, I know you can round up for less marks though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy Guildford)
    Great advice in here, I taking my CBAT on the 21st September, anyone else there at the same time? Going for ABM. I've been using this site to practice SDT, http://www.speeddistancetime.info/test

The following link is for Fuel Consumption practice, http://www.speeddistancetime.info/fuel-test can anyone comment if I am on the right track with these. They seem really hard without the use of a calculator, I know you can round up for less marks though.
    I spent everyday on that website before my CBAT, and the advise I can give you is, it doesn't help as much as you'd hope. It is great for mental arithmetic, and it will help you get in the habit of not using pen and paper or a calculator. I started off getting about 2/10 correct, within 2 weeks I was getting 9/10 consistently, and answering within 30 seconds per question, it may feel difficult now, but practice makes perfect.

Definitely keep using it, but do not rely on it solely for your SDT practice.

ReputationRep:
    I spent everyday on that website before my CBAT, and the advise I can give you is, it doesn't help as much as you'd hope. It is great for mental arithmetic, and it will help you get in the habit of not using pen and paper or a calculator. I started off getting about 2/10 correct, within 2 weeks I was getting 9/10 consistently, and answering within 30 seconds per question, it may feel difficult now, but practice makes perfect.

Definitely keep using it, but do not rely on it solely for your SDT practice.
    Thank you very much, were there SDT questions and fuel consumption questions in the CBAT? Or just SDT's?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.