Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quorn booms as "flexitarians" increase. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    "Flexitarian" - just a bunch of upper middle class liberal millennials seeking attention.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmeliaLost)
    I've never roasted it without lots of rosemary and thyme. Without that then no, it doesn't taste like very much.

I don't really follow your process. It still means you're not eating an animal though, so the ethical reasoning still stands. Just because you're duping your taste buds with whatever it is that you find tasty doesn't suddenly erase the positive ethics. Do you disagree with people with murderous tendencies taking that out with hack'n'slash games rather than just murdering people?? If more people consume less meat, then that's a good thing on lots of fronts, with few reservations on the method.
    It's a fairly simple train of thought, you're trying to complicate it.

You don't like eating meat, or other people eating meat. Why do you want to eat something that tastes like meat, and therefore allows you to feel like you're eating meat at the time?
    I can a benefit if you disagree with the ethics of meat production, but surely you want to distance yourself from that feeling and industry?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)

You don't like eating meat, or other people eating meat. Why do you want to eat something that tastes like meat, and therefore allows you to feel like you're eating meat at the time?
    I can a benefit if you disagree with the ethics of meat production, but surely you want to distance yourself from that feeling and industry?
    You don't like eating meat, or animals being killed -> you find meat tasty, delicious umami, so hard to give up, and no other flavours trigger the same pleasure centres -> you find something that tastes like meat, no death involved -> no animals die and you get to eat tasty stuff guilt free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You don't like eating meat, or animals being killed -> you find meat tasty, delicious umami, so hard to give up, and no other flavours trigger the same pleasure centres -> you find something that tastes like meat, no death involved -> no animals die and you get to eat tasty stuff guilt free
    Taste triggers memories, you can't eat those flavours without triggering memories and invoking those thoughts. Let the guilt flow. Animals died for you to experience that flavour
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    Taste triggers memories, you can't eat those flavours without triggering memories and invoking those thoughts. Let the guilt flow. Animals died for you to experience that flavour
    I think you're reading in to this too much!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think you're reading in to this too much!
    Not at all. If you don't like the concept of meat, don't eat something that feels and tastes like meat. They have to know what it tastes like to create something that tastes like it.

Absolving yourself of guilt is not something you can do with a meat substitute.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    Not at all. If you don't like the concept of meat, don't eat something that feels and tastes like meat. They have to know what it tastes like to create something that tastes like it.

Absolving yourself of guilt is not something you can do with a meat substitute.
    I'm sorry but your point literally makes no sense.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but your point literally makes no sense.
    I'm sorry you don't understand the logical progression.

I'll try again.

To create something that tastes like meat, you need to taste meat. So something has died to create your meat substitute.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    I'm sorry you don't understand the logical progression.

I'll try again.

To create something that tastes like meat, you need to taste meat. So something has died to create your meat substitute.
    You just need to create an umami flavour. You can do that with seaweed. It's not "it tastes like meat" explicitly, it's just another flavour palate like sweet or bitter.

ReputationRep:
    I think Flexitarianism is bloody ridiculous. You either eat meat/fish or you don't. Flexitarian is basically just what the majority of the people are. Just eat a bit of everything. I don't eat Quorn as I'm Vegan and most Quorn has egg is. However the Vegan Range of Quorn I have tried but I've never particularly enjoyed it. I went Vegan overnight but my friend is a lifelong Vegetarian so although I still ate meat, when we were round each other's houses, we would eat Quorn. I didn't particularly enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)

Quorn and other vegetarian/vegan substitutes don't really taste or feel like meat, though. They don't have that same fibrous texture, fat, pieces of gristle etc. The taste is basically just seasoning - salt, onion, maybe a few spices - and things like tofu have been seasoned that way for years. Yeast extract and miso could be described as 'meaty flavours' but they're vegetarian.

Because vegetarians and vegans are the minority, and many have switched to that lifestyle from meat, obviously Quorn and other brands have to target their products to people who are living in a 'meat based' world. Calling products 'chicken style' or 'beef style' makes it easy for people to see how they would fit into their diet, and into mainstream recipes. They could get away with calling them 'tofu style' really, but that would have less mass appeal.

Basically, burgers, mince, and sausages, can be created out of any number of foods - including vegetables and tofu (completely vegan). It just makes sense to use those formats to present a vegetarian protein as they can be packaged and used easily. When I was a vegetarian I didn't eat Quorn because I had a hankering for a chicken burger, nor did it remind me of chicken - I ate it because it was convenient and a good protein source to have alongside my other ingredients. A lot of vegetarians create meals without these processed products, using legumes as the protein source, but sometimes you need something a bit more convenient/with a different (savoury, not meat) taste.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I, like others, find the term flexiterian weird. So, I'm cutting down the amount of meat I eat. Big bloody deal. Why does it need a name?

I am looking for alternatives. But quorn (or as someone once called it, "fake meat") doesn't really appeal. If I want to eat chicken, I'll eat the real stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Meh just means more bacon for me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.