Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

1/3 of 11 year olds can't swim when they leave school Watch

• TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    A study of 1000 parents of year 6 students suggest that a third of 11 year olds in England leave primary school unable to swim and two thirds of parents surveyed feared their child couldn't save themselves in water.

Ministers have stated that "more must be done" to improve school swimming as Steve Parry (a former Olympic swimmer) has highlighted that "hundreds of people drown every year". He continues "water safety is the only part of the national curriculum that will save children's lives, it can't be treated as an optional extra," said Mr Parry.

You can read more here. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40685881

What do you make of this? Should swimming be compulsory? Could you swim by the time you left primary school?

ReputationRep:
    1/3? That's huge. I definitely think swimming lessons should be compulsory, or at least more frequent. I remember doing it when I was little at my primary school, and all of us basically loved it.

Make it an opt-out service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    A study of 1000 parents of year 6 students suggest that a third of 11 year olds in England leave primary school unable to swim and two thirds of parents surveyed feared their child couldn't save themselves in water.

Ministers have stated that "more must be done" to improve school swimming as Steve Parry (a former Olympic swimmer) has highlighted that "hundreds of people drown every year". He continues "water safety is the only part of the national curriculum that will save children's lives, it can't be treated as an optional extra," said Mr Parry.

What do you make of this? Should swimming be compulsory? Could you swim by the time you left primary school?
    I had learnt how to swim by the time I started reception/year 1.

I think it's ridiculous that kids aren't taught to swim because it means that they are very unlikely to learn water safety from anywhere else. Of course the skill of swimming would give you a higher chance of surviving if you ended up in difficulties, but water safety is what is much more likely to save your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :shock:

I thought swimming was compulsory... we live on a bloody island.

Everyone needs to learn how to swim.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and still can't swim.
    In primary school, when we were given lessons on it, I was too scared of drowning or having my face in the water that I wouldn't cooperate with the instructors. I would even make excuses not to go! 😅

I tried again with family when I was 15, again out of fear I didn't cooperate with them and was too frightened.

I want to learn to swim one day but I need an instructor who has experience with people like me. I don't want to go to swimming lessons only to waste their time though.

ReputationRep:
    I would've thought that more children knew how to swim.

One of those children is me.lol.except that am not 11 anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armastia833)
    I would've thought that more children knew how to swim.
    There are a lot of expectations for kids of this country that are nowhere near being met.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I went to a primary school and secondary school with a swimming pool.

Still can't swim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    I went to a primary school and secondary school with a swimming pool.

Still can't swim
    Why didn't your parents put you in lessons when you were younger?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I'm in my early twenties and still can't swim :laugh: And nope, I don't think it should be compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Why didn't your parents put you in lessons when you were younger?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How much do they cost? 😂

I don't think my parents are white enough to get me swimming lessons.

ReputationRep:

I pretty much had swimming lessons from birth because my mum was desperate for me to know how to swim so I didn't drown! I thought it was compulsory for children to have swimming lessons at primary school though. None of my schools had a pool, but in year 5 for a while we were taken to the local pool once a week for lessons (for free, during school time) so that everyone could learn, which is a really good idea!

ReputationRep:
    How much do they cost? 😂

I don't think my parents are white enough to get me swimming lessons.
    I'm not white My dad tried lessons for a little bit at the beginning but then gave up and just took me swimming once a week until I learnt the basics. After that he just took me for fun and then when we had lessons at school, I was ready to learn more advanced stuff + water safety stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    I'm not white My dad tried lessons for a little bit at the beginning but then gave up and just took me swimming once a week until I learnt the basics. After that he just took me for fun and then when we had lessons at school, I was ready to learn more advanced stuff + water safety stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My parents are the kind of parents to not give a sh*t about anything unless it's related to my education. 😂

ReputationRep:
    My parents are the kind of parents to not give a sh*t about anything unless it's related to my education. 😂
    Fair enough. My parents are the opposite. As long as I bring in the grades so they can brag a out them, they don't care about what I'm actually doing in my education 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    We had 6 weeks of lessons in year 5. I had them again in year 6 because you had to be able to swim 25 metres I could only manage 7, I think.

It should be compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    This figure is probably true. It has been mentioned more than once within home education communities. Some parents feel that schools have failed a child if they finish primary education unable to swim. There's more to life than the 3R's and SATS.

Primary schools should teach children to swim and ride a bike in PE lessons as they are more useful life skills than ball sports are.

ReputationRep:
    School swimming lessons are so full of ****. (Atleast mine were)
    But thats shocking wtf

ReputationRep:
    Same; only cos they're Asian though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.