Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

maths a level Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So i just finished my first year in sixthform in which i also sat my AS exam for maths and know for sure i failed. I lnow i didnt put any effort in.I am retaking year 12 and will be taking maths again, i really want to achieve a high grade in this subject but sometimes see that even if you revise, it seems hard to achieve a high grade because every year they somehow manage to add something we are not familiar with to the papers. Any students who have achieved a high grade in a level maths? What would be your best advice (apart from past papers, which i know i have to revise with)

ReputationRep:
    The key is exposing yourself to as much practice as possible and being a little curious too. You should want to understand why we use a certain method to solve a problem. If you do that then you will naturally be more creative in your approach to problem solving. They put those slightly challenging questions in to weed out those who have just been rote-learning the answers to questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tkkkkk16)
    So i just finished my first year in sixthform in which i also sat my AS exam for maths and know for sure i failed. I lnow i didnt put any effort in.I am retaking year 12 and will be taking maths again, i really want to achieve a high grade in this subject but sometimes see that even if you revise, it seems hard to achieve a high grade because every year they somehow manage to add something we are not familiar with to the papers. Any students who have achieved a high grade in a level maths? What would be your best advice (apart from past papers, which i know i have to revise with)
    If you are re-starting your courses then I expect you will be taking the new Maths A level which is linear.

You need to spend as much time out of school as your do in lessons practising questions in addition to your homework.

ReputationRep:
    Understanding the content is one thing. Thinking outside the box is another.

Maths may seem like a subject where you can remember a process to do something and therefore you get a good grade; no. You need to take a logical approach to tackle difficult questions because you know the methods but you are unfamiliar with the approach.

Break the question down into little steps, that's how I do it. I also ask myself questions like "if I did this, how can this help me achieve the solution?"

Unfortunately it's not something which can be taught to a great extent. That's why you need an interest in alevel so you're curious and extend your study outside the syllabus.

You should take some maths challenges like the UKMT; they're really good for problem solving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tkkkkk16)
    You need to understand the content rather than memorise how to answer a certain type of question then do past papers and understand the question and use logic to answer it. Practice, practice practice...

ReputationRep:
    Past papers, Solomon papers, G/S/B papers and IYGB papers.

If you do EVERY SINGLE one of those papers, you will get the grade you want. Solomon/IYGB papers are a lot harder as they have more abstract/application questions. They're very good.

I got an A in AS Mathematics last year and I did A2 this year with pending results, but I felt pretty good after the exams.

ReputationRep:
    You get good at maths by doing maths. That said, I mean maths, not just past papers and text-books questions.

If you want to understand maths you have to go above: you can't hope to excel when you don't understand the underlying principles and proofs. If I told you that the area of a circle is \pi\times r^2 and you blindly believed me, you wouldn't understand why. Why does the area have that formula? Why is x^3+2x increasing for all  x\in\mathbb{R}? You need to know why things happen, why their proofs follow.

On the other hand, you do need to familiarise yourself with past papers and their marking schemes. You need to see how marks are awarded and what dependencies marks have on others. Proof by induction: you can only get the explanation marks for concluding your proof if you have shown sufficient working to prove the conjecture.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.