The Student Room Group

Medical EPQ Question Discussion

Should illnesses such as obesity be freely treated on the NHS?

Discuss
I'd personally argue no, although that would fully contradict the entire idea of free universal healthcare. The NHS already has free diet plans and advice for those with obesity, anything extra is unnessasary in an age where the NHS is crumbling.
I'll be honest though if you haven't already done this project in saying that this question seems a bit sparse to do a project on, why not do a project on the NHS as a whole and include this. Unless you feel you can pull it off well, then go for it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Unfortunately I have to say yes. Although a large proportion of obese people are to blame with their unhealthy lifestyles, help still needs to be offered for them because as they grow older, the younger generation will look upto them and think of then as the norm and so the cycle continues of an increasing obese population.

However, surgery is probably not an economically viable option gievn the amount of obese people.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by srdavison123
I'd personally argue no, although that would fully contradict the entire idea of free universal healthcare. The NHS already has free diet plans and advice for those with obesity, anything extra is unnessasary in an age where the NHS is crumbling.
I'll be honest though if you haven't already done this project in saying that this question seems a bit sparse to do a project on, why not do a project on the NHS as a whole and include this. Unless you feel you can pull it off well, then go for it.

Thank you for your reply
Reply 4
Original post by BTAnonymous
Unfortunately I have to say yes. Although a large proportion of obese people are to blame with their unhealthy lifestyles, help still needs to be offered for them because as they grow older, the younger generation will look upto them and think of then as the norm and so the cycle continues of an increasing obese population.

However, surgery is probably not an economically viable option gievn the amount of obese people.

Okay thank you
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Should injuries which are the consequence of partaking in extreme sports be freely treated on the NHS?

This definitely seems like a better and more encompassing question, I'll definitely consider rewording my question now
Reply 7
Original post by Alexbird8
This definitely seems like a better and more encompassing question, I'll definitely consider rewording my question now

Define extreme. Whatever you do a lot of it is down to the prep you do and precautions you take. A swim in the sea or a quarry can be very dangerous if you're reckless.

Quick Reply

Latest