Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you identify Nature ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuffyandtab)
    It's a male chaffinch. I can identify most British birds (excludes vagrants). Go on somebody test me.
    What might this creature be?

no reverse image search

Name:  burd.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  24.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    It's a male chaffinch. I can identify most British birds (excludes vagrants). Go on somebody test me.
    Name:  mysterybird.png
Views: 5
Size:  335.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawksteinman)
    Knowing the name of the bird tells you nothing about it.

If there were two people, which of the following knows the bird more?

Person 1: Knows the bird's name in English, Spanish, French, Italian, and Latin.

Person 2: Does not know the bird's name in any language, but knows its behaviour patterns, how it hunts, and can recognise its call.
    If Person 2 knows the birds behavioural pattern of said bird, how it hunts and what it sounds like I should think they'd also know what it's called.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
    If Person 2 knows the birds behavioural pattern of said bird, how it hunts and what it sounds like I should think they'd also know what it's called.
    No. They studied the bird by watching it, never bothering to learn its name. Person 1 just saw picture and learnt its name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)

no reverse image search

Female pheasant - however wrong markings for the British kind

(Original post by the bear)
    Name:  mysterybird.png
Views: 5
Size:  335.1 KB

That's not british (meaning only found here by mistake) - a rare vagrant warbler maybe? North American?

ReputationRep:
    Knowing the name of the bird tells you nothing about it.

If there were two people, which of the following knows the bird more?

Person 1: Knows the bird's name in English, Spanish, French, Italian, and Latin.

Person 2: Does not know the bird's name in any language, but knows its behaviour patterns, how it hunts, and can recognise its call.

hmmmm i am not convinced that the 81% who did not know the name are intimately familiar with the behaviour & vocalisations of Fringilla coelebs

:rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloudyeyes)
    chaffinch, cant think of many reasons why somebody would need to identify a bird like that.
    They're a common bird in the British countryside and you'll even see them in your gardens. People should be able to at least identify them.

If more and more people grow up completely ignorant of nature, then that means fewer people in the future will be willing to stand up for it. According to the article I saw, conservation organisations are worried that their campaigns are being affected and made more difficult precisely because large numbers of people are disconnected from nature and the countryside.

The part about people not being to even identify an oak tree is just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Female pheasant - however wrong markings for the British kind
    The Lady Amherst Pheasant, non native and quite rare, but can still be seen if you are lucky.

ReputationRep:
    No. They studied the bird by watching it, never bothering to learn its name. Person 1 just saw picture and learnt its name.
    But who would study an animals traits without learning it's name?

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm i am not convinced that the 81% who did not know the name are intimately familiar with the behaviour & vocalisations of Fringilla coelebs

:rolleyes:
    I'd agree with you. Behaviour, sound and appearance all are part of identifying a particular animal. I can't just know all this stuff without a name - I can't just say "look its the bird that lays 4-6 eggs per brood" or whatever. so yeah

ReputationRep:
    The Lady Amherst Pheasant, non native and quite rare, but can still be seen if you are lucky.
    You got me there. If you showed the male I would of got it, darn. They are very localised, meaning if you are found in literally the forest where they have been released and sustained a population, then you'll see one.
    Now I look like a bit of an idiot, but test me again.

ReputationRep:

no reverse image search

the photographer is Jean-Claude Jamoulle... the bird has a prissy European look to it... not like our robust no-nonsense Brexit pheasants....

i will go with Phaisanus ranae

ReputationRep:
    clearly you have never seen tits
    not for a while....I'm married.

ReputationRep:
    You got me there. If you showed the male I would of got it, darn. They are very localised, meaning if you are found in literally the forest where they have been released and sustained a population, then you'll see one.
    Now I look like a bit of an idiot, but test me again.
    http://www.surfbirds.com/community-b...igo1/22926.jpg

ReputationRep:
    the photographer is Jean-Claude Jamoulle... the bird has a prissy European look to it... not like our robust no-nonsense Brexit pheasants....

I just gone and looked up the bird you showed me and I was right. It's the black and white warbler which is native to America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-and-white_warbler

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I just gone and looked up the bird you showed me and I was right. It's the black and white warbler which is native to America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-and-white_warbler
    it does not feel comfortable over there ... it has decided that Brexit Britain is its new homeland

ReputationRep:

No my darling, it is native to Myanmar (formerly Burma) but populated Lady Amherst's estate in the early 1900's where they can still be found today.

You got me there. If you showed the male I would of got it, darn. They are very localised, meaning if you are found in literally the forest where they have been released and sustained a population, then you'll see one. Now I look like a bit of an idiot, but test me again.
    Strangely enough the only reason I know of them is because I happened across one in Herefordshire not all that long ago and it was a bird I had never seen before.

That is the only actual rare species I know of most others like Red Kites should be common knowledge.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1257484230203.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  26.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParentalAdvisory)
    not for a while....I'm married.

:congrats:

Well Played Sir !!

:borat:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.