Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And what is the best way to find out what is available.

I'd like to take part in sport, volunteering, anything really. Would prefer something that other university students are also taking part in. Would prefer something local to Durham or Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmic angel)
    And what is the best way to find out what is available.

I'd like to take part in sport, volunteering, anything really. Would prefer something that other university students are also taking part in. Would prefer something local to Durham or Newcastle.
    Work/volunteer for Team Durham/Durham university, go to local events such as the Miner's gala, best look on Facebook

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durhamdunce)
    Work/volunteer for Team Durham/Durham university, go to local events such as the Miner's gala, best look on Facebook
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I live near Durham and much as it's officially a city, it's just a medium sized town really, there's not an awful lot to do. You can live there and work/ visit Newcastle every day though, it's only 15 mins on the train. I like going for walks/ going rowing on the river in my free time in summer too, that's always nice.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who tells you that the 'city' isn't a relative ghost-town out of term-time is a liar.

As it is, it has the accoutrements of any small northern town; leisure centre, some few shops, some pubs, nature, cinema, close links to Newcastle and relatively close links to York. It really depends what you want to be able to do?

There will little by way of social activities, though, beware that.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    There aren't exactly any social activities to do during the summer with other students (because most of them have gone home!), but I actually like Durham in July/August because it's quiet and relaxed. There's a different vibe when most of the students aren't there (and I actually prefer it outside of term-time), so whilst there might not be special events organised for students, you can go on walks by the river, visit parks, or take a train to Newcastle. In terms of volunteering, there's probably work in charity shops (or maybe even for the university).

Last summer in 2016 (and probably this summer too, but I wasn't in the city) there was some kind of mini brass music "festival" in Durham - it wasn't a big thing but people were playing music around the town and it was quite fun. The city actually organises quite a few events, you just have to look out for when they're on; maybe check out this website for an idea of what's happening.

ReputationRep:
    The posters above were right, there is nothing to do in Durham during summer where you could meet other students.
    The volunteering with Team Durham has volunteers who are mostly not Durham university students, most are around school age.
    The best thing I could have done would have been to just get a job there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.