Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Re-learning guitar, need a helping hand Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

So long story short, because of various reasons I stopped playing guitar about 3 years ago. But recently looking at my guitar I've had a yearning to play it again, unfortunately after picking it up for a while I realised that i've pretty much completely forgotten how to play. My fingers feel heavy and inaccurate, my calluses have long disappeared and I remember absolutely nothing :/

So, can someone help me out with getting back into guitar? stuff such as;

- the first things I should do e.g. theory and other things
    - basic scales I need to learn
    - the first songs I should learn
    - a progression of songs to get me back to full capacity
    - other things that will help in general e.g. finger exercises or skills I have neglected

Thanks!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelefi)
    Hey all,

So long story short, because of various reasons I stopped playing guitar about 3 years ago. But recently looking at my guitar I've had a yearning to play it again, unfortunately after picking it up for a while I realised that i've pretty much completely forgotten how to play. My fingers feel heavy and inaccurate, my calluses have long disappeared and I remember absolutely nothing :/

So, can someone help me out with getting back into guitar? stuff such as;

- the first things I should do e.g. theory and other things
    - basic scales I need to learn
    - a progression of songs to get me back to full capacity
    - other things that will help in general e.g. finger exercises or skills I have neglected

Thanks!
    Learn your major/minor scales, pentatonic. Re-learn some of the songs you used to be able to play. They should come back easy cause of muscle memory. Practice basic chords/bar chords, etc. If you were to a fairly intermediate/advanced level when you used to play guitar it should come back to you pretty easily.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelefi)
    What songs do you want to learn? There's no point someone suggesting a metal song if you hate metal, for example.

When I first started playing the ukulele, (I did used to play guitar and remember nothing) I learnt chords as I went along. I learnt them by playing songs with basic chords in.

ReputationRep:
    I don't play guitar but play piano (I'm playing after a 6-7 year gap!)

First thing I did was learn the theory. I just went on YouTube and found a grade 1 ABRSM theory tutorial. I made typed up notes on these tutorials which I printed off and filed and learned.

After that I started to learn the scales for ABRSM grade 1 (I had reached grade 3 previously but had forgotten most things).

Finally I found some grade 1 ABRSM piano pieces on their website and tried to learn 3-4. Took a long time tbh but it was worth it.

I guess it would be a similar process if I did guitar?

You have the right idea of the area's you need to learn, it's just about starting from small again and building it up again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    What songs do you want to learn? There's no point someone suggesting a metal song if you hate metal, for example.

When I first started playing the ukulele, (I did used to play guitar and remember nothing) I learnt chords as I went along. I learnt them by playing songs with basic chords in.
    ah I neglected to mention my music taste! thanks for the reminder aha

I'm up for learning metal/indie/rock/classical and more, as long as it's not an artist like Kanye, Beyonce, Rihanna, Britney, all those super-popular artists who people seem to love (though stuff like Bastille is perfecto)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.