Amerso
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone,
I just finished my gcses and picked philosophy and ethics as an a level without having taken it at gcse. Do you think it would be very difficult without the gcse knowledge?
harry1208
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No it will be perfectly fine, multiple people in my class hadn't done it at GCSE and they all did well.

Side note if you are doing OCR and want the textbooks, im selling them on ebay .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2531281435...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2531281480...84.m1555.l2649
Kat712
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Amerso)
Hello everyone,
I just finished my gcses and picked philosophy and ethics as an a level without having taken it at gcse. Do you think it would be very difficult without the gcse knowledge?
If you aren't required to have a gcse in it to do it at A level then you should be fine as the teacher wouldn't expect the whole class to know the subject from gcse. I'm also doing philosophy and ethics this year
Kat712
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by harry1208)
No it will be perfectly fine, multiple people in my class hadn't done it at GCSE and they all did well.

Side note if you are doing OCR and want the textbooks, im selling them on ebay .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2531281435...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2531281480...84.m1555.l2649
Do you have any advice for students picking philosophy and ethics? Like how you revised and found the subject in general. I'm also picking it next year
harry1208
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kat712)
Do you have any advice for students picking philosophy and ethics? Like how you revised and found the subject in general. I'm also picking it next year
First year is very much about memorisation, application isn't a big part. If you revise a medium amount you will do well. In class you will be taught more than you need, don't stress if you feel like everything isn't going in. For revision I did the bare minimum which I probably shouldn't recommend. In ethics (for OCR) you learn 7 ethical theories (From what I can remember), all I did was revise 4 points for each one in the morning and then made up the criticisms in the exam. Overall if you're doing any other subject such as English, photography, business or maths, you will need to do more work in them than RE. 2nd year you need to learn alot more, I learnt more in one topic at A2 than the whole course at AS, but you don't need to worry about that yet

Enjoy the first few months of A levels without worrying about note taking or revision and I found that most of the philosophy and ethics just went in, hence why I hardly even revised and managed to get a B, again don't do that though.
Kat712
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by harry1208)
First year is very much about memorisation, application isn't a big part. If you revise a medium amount you will do well. In class you will be taught more than you need, don't stress if you feel like everything isn't going in. For revision I did the bare minimum which I probably shouldn't recommend. In ethics (for OCR) you learn 7 ethical theories (From what I can remember), all I did was revise 4 points for each one in the morning and then made up the criticisms in the exam. Overall if you're doing any other subject such as English, photography, business or maths, you will need to do more work in them than RE. 2nd year you need to learn alot more, I learnt more in one topic at A2 than the whole course at AS, but you don't need to worry about that yet

Enjoy the first few months of A levels without worrying about note taking or revision and I found that most of the philosophy and ethics just went in, hence why I hardly even revised and managed to get a B, again don't do that though.
Thank you so much! I did RE at GCSE and loved it and didn't do much revision as it all made sense, all I did was pay attention in class and make notes. I'm also doing English and psychology and I think these subjects will require more work, like you said. I'm definitely looking forward to philosophy and ethics, thanks for all the help
Quirky Object
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Amerso)
Hello everyone,
Not at all; you don't need any background knowledge at all for A-level philosophy and ethics

(Moved to philosophy, RS & theology study help)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (43)
24.16%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
26.97%
No (87)
48.88%

Watched Threads