Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I wanted some advice on getting an MPharm. The only courses I've seen are 4/5 years long for MPharm, and entry requirements only detail in A Levels, I haven't really seen anything about already having a degree then going to do MPharm. So I have a few questions:

1) Can you do an MPharm after already having a degree?
    2) Is it worth it?
    3) Will A Levels be more important than your degree classification, if it is possible to do MPharm postgraduate?

A little background:
    I just finished my second year studying Biomedicine at Lancaster University with a high 2:1 (66.7%). I've also been working part time with Boots for a year now, and they want to give me healthcare training to work at the pharmacy - hence why I'm interested in MPharm. My A Levels were poor (BCD in psychology, biology and chemistry) but that was due to a really bad time with family and my own health throughout high school.

Thank you for your advice!

ReputationRep:
    I would stay away from pharmacy,the job prospects don't look good.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noorisaurus)
    Hello,

I wanted some advice on getting an MPharm. The only courses I've seen are 4/5 years long for MPharm, and entry requirements only detail in A Levels, I haven't really seen anything about already having a degree then going to do MPharm. So I have a few questions:

1) Can you do an MPharm after already having a degree?
    2) Is it worth it?
    3) Will A Levels be more important than your degree classification, if it is possible to do MPharm postgraduate?

A little background:
    I just finished my second year studying Biomedicine at Lancaster University with a high 2:1 (66.7%). I've also been working part time with Boots for a year now, and they want to give me healthcare training to work at the pharmacy - hence why I'm interested in MPharm. My A Levels were poor (BCD in psychology, biology and chemistry) but that was due to a really bad time with family and my own health throughout high school.

Thank you for your advice!
    1. Yes its always possible to do Pharmacy as a 2nd degree ( but you will have to fund it yourself but its a waste of 45K of your money - see 2)

2. No No No- Please stay away from Pharmacy if you can. There are numerous threads created in the Pharmacy forum with so many warnings from posters to deter new students of going into pharmacy as its a dead profession.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4429542

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3930485

3. Not many people do pharmacy as a 2nd degree compared to medicine so thats why there's not much info about it.

You could easily apply to non pharmacy related graduate schemes with your degree classification. Thats what I have done, i have done my Mpharm degree and starting a consulting grad scheme in technology.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.