Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I do GCSEs that are graded alphabetically or 9-1? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do via distance learning, Travel and tourism, Business studies, and English language. I have a choice of doing either these qualifications with the new specification and new 9-1 grading system OR doing these three qualifications with the alphabetical grading system and older specification but if I do the exams with the alphabetical grading system, there will be no resit options, I can only the exams for these subjects once and that's it.

What option do you advise I take? The alphabetical grading and older specification or new specification and 9-1 grading system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moon4)
    I'm going to do via distance learning, Travel and tourism, Business studies, and English language. I have a choice of doing either these qualifications with the new specification and new 9-1 grading system OR doing these three qualifications with the alphabetical grading system and older specification but if I do the exams with the alphabetical grading system, there will be no resit options, I can only the exams for these subjects once and that's it.

What option do you advise I take? The alphabetical grading and older specification or new specification and 9-1 grading system?
    I think it's the subject choices which interest me more than the minutiae of specifications. Do you mind my asking what course you were hoping these GCSE would help lead to? Or are you just doing them for leisure learning?

ReputationRep:
    You will have to do English Language with 9-1 grades as the old specification is no longer available.
    If you are intending to take Business Studies in 2018 then it will have to be A*-G but from 2019 it will have to be 9-1.
    The final chance to take Travel and Tourism GCSE will be in Summer 2018 with A*-G grades. After that the GCSE is being withdrawn.

ReputationRep:
    It mostly depends on how confident you are that you can be ready to take your exams in summer 2018 and pass them. Obviously doing the new specification gives you the resit/delay safety net.

Also as Compost has said, some subjects have already withdrawn the old spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I think it's the subject choices which interest me more than the minutiae of specifications. Do you mind my asking what course you were hoping these GCSE would help lead to? Or are you just doing them for leisure learning?
    I'm doing other subjects as well, but why do you say that about these subjects? Are they not considered worth much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moon4)
    I'm doing other subjects as well, but why do you say that about these subjects? Are they not considered worth much?
    It's not that they're not 'worth much' - it's just that doing GCSEs via distance learning is usually because you 'need' them for something further, e.g. maths and English for a university application, or science to act as a foundation for further study. So they're a little bit unusual as distance learning choices. But no, by no means 'worthless'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    You will have to do English Language with 9-1 grades as the old specification is no longer available.
    If you are intending to take Business Studies in 2018 then it will have to be A*-G but from 2019 it will have to be 9-1.
    The final chance to take Travel and Tourism GCSE will be in Summer 2018 with A*-G grades. After that the GCSE is being withdrawn.
    Because I've already started English language IGCSE, I can either take the exams in January 2018, which is the final time you can take the exam with the alphabetical grading system but it has no resit option, or start a new gcse English language with the new specification and 9-1 grading system.

So I'm not sure what to do regarding these three subjects....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moon4)
    Because I've already started English language IGCSE, I can either take the exams in January 2018, which is the final time you can take the exam with the alphabetical grading system but it has no resit option, or start a new gcse English language with the new specification and 9-1 grading system.

So I'm not sure what to do regarding these three subjects....
    If you want advice then you need to be accurate - you said you were studying GCSEs. Exactly what are you currently studying? (i.e. what qualification and what exam board)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    If you want advice then you need to be accurate - you said you were studying GCSEs. Exactly what are you currently studying? (i.e. what qualification and what exam board)
    The igcse English language I've already signed up for is with edexcel, the last time you can sit the exam for first time is January 2018.

Travel and Tourism is with Cambridge and last date to sit exam for first time is may/June 2018: http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and...-tourism-0471/

Business studies is with Edexcel and last date for exam is May/June 2018: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...dies-2009.html

ReputationRep:
    Any more advice about what I should do?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.