Should I do GCSEs that are graded alphabetically or 9-1? Watch

moon4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm going to do via distance learning, Travel and tourism, Business studies, and English language. I have a choice of doing either these qualifications with the new specification and new 9-1 grading system OR doing these three qualifications with the alphabetical grading system and older specification but if I do the exams with the alphabetical grading system, there will be no resit options, I can only the exams for these subjects once and that's it.

What option do you advise I take? The alphabetical grading and older specification or new specification and 9-1 grading system?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by moon4)
I'm going to do via distance learning, Travel and tourism, Business studies, and English language. I have a choice of doing either these qualifications with the new specification and new 9-1 grading system OR doing these three qualifications with the alphabetical grading system and older specification but if I do the exams with the alphabetical grading system, there will be no resit options, I can only the exams for these subjects once and that's it.

What option do you advise I take? The alphabetical grading and older specification or new specification and 9-1 grading system?
I think it's the subject choices which interest me more than the minutiae of specifications. Do you mind my asking what course you were hoping these GCSE would help lead to? Or are you just doing them for leisure learning?
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You will have to do English Language with 9-1 grades as the old specification is no longer available.
If you are intending to take Business Studies in 2018 then it will have to be A*-G but from 2019 it will have to be 9-1.
The final chance to take Travel and Tourism GCSE will be in Summer 2018 with A*-G grades. After that the GCSE is being withdrawn.
CharAU95
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It mostly depends on how confident you are that you can be ready to take your exams in summer 2018 and pass them. Obviously doing the new specification gives you the resit/delay safety net.

Also as Compost has said, some subjects have already withdrawn the old spec.
moon4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I think it's the subject choices which interest me more than the minutiae of specifications. Do you mind my asking what course you were hoping these GCSE would help lead to? Or are you just doing them for leisure learning?
I'm doing other subjects as well, but why do you say that about these subjects? Are they not considered worth much?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by moon4)
I'm doing other subjects as well, but why do you say that about these subjects? Are they not considered worth much?
It's not that they're not 'worth much' - it's just that doing GCSEs via distance learning is usually because you 'need' them for something further, e.g. maths and English for a university application, or science to act as a foundation for further study. So they're a little bit unusual as distance learning choices. But no, by no means 'worthless'.
moon4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
You will have to do English Language with 9-1 grades as the old specification is no longer available.
If you are intending to take Business Studies in 2018 then it will have to be A*-G but from 2019 it will have to be 9-1.
The final chance to take Travel and Tourism GCSE will be in Summer 2018 with A*-G grades. After that the GCSE is being withdrawn.
Because I've already started English language IGCSE, I can either take the exams in January 2018, which is the final time you can take the exam with the alphabetical grading system but it has no resit option, or start a new gcse English language with the new specification and 9-1 grading system.

So I'm not sure what to do regarding these three subjects....
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by moon4)
Because I've already started English language IGCSE, I can either take the exams in January 2018, which is the final time you can take the exam with the alphabetical grading system but it has no resit option, or start a new gcse English language with the new specification and 9-1 grading system.

So I'm not sure what to do regarding these three subjects....
If you want advice then you need to be accurate - you said you were studying GCSEs. Exactly what are you currently studying? (i.e. what qualification and what exam board)
moon4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
If you want advice then you need to be accurate - you said you were studying GCSEs. Exactly what are you currently studying? (i.e. what qualification and what exam board)
The igcse English language I've already signed up for is with edexcel, the last time you can sit the exam for first time is January 2018.

Travel and Tourism is with Cambridge and last date to sit exam for first time is may/June 2018: http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and...-tourism-0471/

Business studies is with Edexcel and last date for exam is May/June 2018: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...dies-2009.html
moon4
Rep:
?
Any more advice about what I should do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads