Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am due to begin my MA in Crime and Justice with the OU in October and am going to apply for a postgrad student loan. The course is made up of 2 modules, I wanted to study one module in 2017/18, then take a break and begin the second module in 2019/20. Does anybody know if this is possible and how it works in terms of the student loan?

This is the second time I've attempted masters-level study. The first time I was part-way through my first module (different course) when I had to drop out due to personal reasons. I funded that myself so there were no implications, but this is part of the reason why I want to take a break in between modules if possible. However, just playing devils' advocate, what would happen if, for example, I complete the first module and then don't go on to study the second for whatever reason? This is not my intention, but I've never had a student loan before and wanted to find out what tends to happen in this sort of scenario.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Icc86,

To help answer your query I just needed to check something with you.

Is the MA in Crime and Justice course you are planning on starting in October a full masters course? Are you using any credits towards this from the masters study you did previously?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Laura,

Thanks for the response. The new course is a full Masters course, and I won't be using any credits from my previous Masters study as I dropped out prior to completion of the module so didn't gain any credits as far as I am aware.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Icc86

You can certainly make an for postgraduate funding,you would need apply for funding for the two years of the course and the
    university would need to send a suspension to stop the funding for the year you want to take the gap year. When you are ready
    to return then the university would send a resumption and your funding would continue where it has left off.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask one further question - I'm just doing my application for my student loan and it asks how much I want to borrow. There are 2 modules to the course, but at the moment I only know the cost for 1 module (£2000). I won't know the cost of the second module until next year. Am I allowed to estimate the cost and then confirm the actual cost later once I know what it is?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.