Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Postgrad loans and 'taking a break' from studying watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am due to begin my MA in Crime and Justice with the OU in October and am going to apply for a postgrad student loan. The course is made up of 2 modules, I wanted to study one module in 2017/18, then take a break and begin the second module in 2019/20. Does anybody know if this is possible and how it works in terms of the student loan?

This is the second time I've attempted masters-level study. The first time I was part-way through my first module (different course) when I had to drop out due to personal reasons. I funded that myself so there were no implications, but this is part of the reason why I want to take a break in between modules if possible. However, just playing devils' advocate, what would happen if, for example, I complete the first module and then don't go on to study the second for whatever reason? This is not my intention, but I've never had a student loan before and wanted to find out what tends to happen in this sort of scenario.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Icc86,

To help answer your query I just needed to check something with you.

Is the MA in Crime and Justice course you are planning on starting in October a full masters course? Are you using any credits towards this from the masters study you did previously?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Laura,

Thanks for the response. The new course is a full Masters course, and I won't be using any credits from my previous Masters study as I dropped out prior to completion of the module so didn't gain any credits as far as I am aware.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Icc86

You can certainly make an for postgraduate funding,you would need apply for funding for the two years of the course and the
    university would need to send a suspension to stop the funding for the year you want to take the gap year. When you are ready
    to return then the university would send a resumption and your funding would continue where it has left off.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask one further question - I'm just doing my application for my student loan and it asks how much I want to borrow. There are 2 modules to the course, but at the moment I only know the cost for 1 module (£2000). I won't know the cost of the second module until next year. Am I allowed to estimate the cost and then confirm the actual cost later once I know what it is?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.