Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I lead a pretty basic, 'normal' life but I'm worried about getting to uni and starting to drink more than I do at the moment. This is mainly because my doc tells me that I shouldn't be drinking at all however I do actually enjoy it and I know that once I get to Uni I'll probably start drinking more than I normally do (because of the extra freedom ).

I know you can have a good time without having to drink but my main worry I guess is that I do end up getting drunk and whatnot, then it triggers my epilepsy which I haven't experienced in nearly a year! Has anyone else experienced going to uni with epilepsy? How did you deal with it especially in an environment where everyone else can do things that I might have to skip out on because of my epilepsy? Or is there anyone going to uni with similar worries?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, be careful, I'm not saying don't drink but be careful about volume/frequency. Students die every year from things like this (and diabetes is another one) because they're so determined to have the 'normal' student experience they put their health at risk. Remember you aren't going to be going to your parent's house at the end of the night where there is a responsible adult in case you have a seizure... you're going to be alone in a dorm room and everyone else in the vicinity will be too hammered to realise anything in wrong. You know your body and can make the best decision about what you can take but make sure you're honest with yourself. Please do make sure you tell your flatmates about your epilepsy and tell them exactly what to do if you have a fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    Honestly, be careful, I'm not saying don't drink but be careful about volume/frequency. Students die every year from things like this (and diabetes is another one) because they're so determined to have the 'normal' student experience they put their health at risk. Remember you aren't going to be going to your parent's house at the end of the night where there is a responsible adult in case you have a seizure... you're going to be alone in a dorm room and everyone else in the vicinity will be too hammered to realise anything in wrong. You know your body and can make the best decision about what you can take but make sure you're honest with yourself. Please do make sure you tell your flatmates about your epilepsy and tell them exactly what to do if you have a fit.
    Yeah I've already set up an arrangement with my uni to tell my flatmates about my epilepsy! Hopefully none of them will act weirdly to it...
    Thank you for the advice though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megannchloe)
    Yeah I've already set up an arrangement with my uni to tell my flatmates about my epilepsy! Hopefully none of them will act weirdly to it...
    Thank you for the advice though!
    If you act like it's not a big thing they are mroe likely to follow your lead Plus most of the weirdness will be fear of doing something wrong so if you give them specific instructions e.g. wait 3 minutes then call an ambulance, don't move me just make sure nothing is close enough to hit my head etc they will feel much more confident. And make sure you explain what your seizures look like if they're anything other than tonic clonics!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.