Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why am I so unemployable? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    why not become self-employed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustDoIt!)
    Wowwwwwww, how can you write all that in one sitting?? ))
    Practice :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xdcrfgv)
    I've been applying for thousands of jobs for the past year and a bit . Graduate jobs, retail jobs, office jobs, restaurants,call centre jobs etc but I am never successful. I have got a few interviews but never further than that. I just ****ing give up.
    Right, so I've been employed by 2 employers, currently working at my 3rd job and the interview is what matters. Just make sure you emphasis that you provide good customer service by doing certain things such as being friendly and being patient. Just focus of 'customer service'. Also make sure you include being a good team worker/player. My current job is great and i'm only 16 jheeze. Got a job when I turned 16 and now have a new job coming up to 17

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    why not become self-employed...
    Maybe OP prefers people telling him what to do?

ReputationRep:
    Not answering the questions fully.
    For competency based interviews follow the Star format or similar. STAR= situation, task, action, result. Write out some examples following this format and in preparation for interviews memorise the most relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)

A common problem is failing to redo your CV for each application - employers will spot it a mile off if you just send out a standard version, and take it to mean that you aren't really that interested in the job,
    But I'm only getting a job because it is the only way to have food and a place to live.

Why am I not aloud even to hate my job?

ReputationRep:
    I have been getting interviews every few months while applying to lots of jobs. So not good at all.

I could give you a few examples of those if I was writing them out on an application and had time to think. However, at a competency based interview I have to think long and hard about my answer.
    That's where the problem could lie. They expect quick examples in the star technique. Write them down and memorise them. Revise them until you can give an example in heart beat

Give me an example of team work. Volunteering example. Boom!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    But I'm only getting a job because it is the only way to have food and a place to live.

You are 'allowed' to hate your job - but you have to get one first, and starting from the idea that you will hate it isn't going to win you too many friends amongst employers. Why not think more positively, especially as you're going to have a lot of years to fill with work?

ReputationRep:
    Did apply last year but I was unsuccessful. I will try again this year.
    You're saying this like you can only apply once a year

ReputationRep:
    Same, I've applied for a ridiculous amount of jobs. Including reaching out to business owners and sending out emails regarding any open positions. Nada. Since April I've only had 2 interviews and a few rejections, mostly I'm completely ignored. I've got £20 left in the bank until September now, I'm completely screwed. Honestly just feel like giving up.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

"You have to fake it before you can make it"

If you hate the job, it is far more likely:

- you will leave
    - you will be less productive
    - your misery will impact other employees
    - you will be a pain in the backside to deal with
    - you will take more sick days

If an employer has a choice to recruit someone who is less likely to hate their job than you, it is fairly obvious choice to recruit them over you.

ReputationRep:
    You have a good degree and a good background in terms of work experience, so I think you should concentrate on your applications.

Have you got your CV checked by anyone? You want to make sure that your experience is listed and is concise, but demonstrates your key qualities and responsibilities.

If you get the interview, make sure you prepare well. Research the company - perhaps there is something about it that you really admire. If you mention this in the interview, it shows that you have taken the time to read about the company and that you are passionate to work there. The problem with applying to so many vacancies is that you just treat them all the same - no heart or fire to work there. If you have a genuine interest to work there, employers will prefer to select you.

Make a list of interview questions that they could ask you and prepare answers from your experience. Make sure that you sell your skills, responsibilities, achievements and that you fulfil the qualities needed. You could ask a friend to help you rehearse the interview so when it comes to the real thing, you will be more relaxed and confident, and find it easy to answer their questions.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Ok - this isn't surprising.

Are you really applying to jobs because you want them/will enjoy them, or just applying to everything you can through desperation of any job?

If the latter this will come across both in applications and interview. At an application stage you need to sell the why you are going to stick at the job, even if it is retail/part-time type jobs. No one wants to recruit you for you to be be a high risk of leaving soon afterwards for a "better" job or not being truly motivated because to you it is "just a job".

Work out what you want to do first and focus on those applications. Invest time into researching the role and the company. As a Maths and Econ grad, your abilities will be sought after if you have the soft skills to back it up, and the motivation to do the job well.
    This is 100% true.

These days people are much more picky when getting a job.

The job(s) are either:

* Poor pay

* It's just plain boring (especially office work as most jobs are)

* Lack of job role satisfaction (or just being treated poorly by both manager and colleagues)

But most of the time it's pretty much all of the above. :sadnod:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.