Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who are already doctors or medical students: would you do it again if you could wind back the clock? Or perhaps you'd go down a different route?

ReputationRep:
    I quite enjoy medicine so I'd say I'd do it again if I had to wind back the clock.

...but I wouldn't be happy about taking the exams all again!

ReputationRep:
    Despite all the problems the NHS is facing and the huge hit doctor's income have taken, its still a very varied very versatile job. As a result i will probably choose to work in a less intense area, am more likely to work part time and am more likely to take time out/leave the country entirely, but would i do it again? Probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Despite all the problems the NHS is facing and the huge hit doctor's income have taken, its still a very varied very versatile job. As a result i will probably choose to work in a less intense area, am more likely to work part time and am more likely to take time out/leave the country entirely, but would i do it again? Probably.
    Ah yes, if the question was more specific, I'd say I don't like the idea of practising in this country. I'd like to explore options overseas.

So yes to doing it again if I was given the option again but maybe not in this country. A fair bit has changed in the workforce and NHS since I applied to enter medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bow Tie)
    Ah yes, if the question was more specific, I'd say I don't like the idea of practising in this country. I'd like to explore options overseas.

So yes to doing it again if I was given the option again but maybe not in this country. A fair bit has changed in the workforce and NHS since I applied to enter medicine.
    Where would you choose to go? And reckon it will change by 2022 ish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epistasis)
    You mean if i leave the UK? Probably the Caribbean because i have connections there.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes forgot to add: if they bring in this 5 year mandatory servitude thing i would not touch it with a barge pole though. Not in a million years.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would, I still think that being a doctor is more interesting and fulfilling than most other jobs out there (for me personally).

Obviously there are lots of things about medical training which I wish were different though. It's not a perfect system or a perfect job by any means.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes forgot to add: if they bring in this 5 year mandatory servitude thing i would not touch it with a barge pole though. Not in a million years.
    I second this. I'm absolutely passionate about medicine and would 100% choose the degree again however, I do intend to practice medicine abroad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    I second this. I'm absolutely passionate about medicine and would 100% choose the degree again however, I do intend to practice medicine abroad
    Where?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure but I want to have a look about and maybe do an elective in Australia. I think a lot will change in the NHS by 2022 considering how much has changed in the last 2 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    Are you planning on working abroad now?

ReputationRep:
    Where?
    Canada / Australia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    Are you planning on working abroad now?
    Once I start clinical rotations I'll get a general gist of how I fit in the NHS and whether I see any longevity for myself working in the UK.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.