Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I have recently applied for my student loan with extra maintenance, I live with my partner and our 6 year old son. He is not biologically mine however I provide for him and care for him. When I am studying her income will be our sole income but I do not think she receives working tax credits. What evidence can I supply? I have his Birth Certificate but obviously this does not have my name on it.
    •  Official Rep

     Official Rep
    Hi stephaniecregan,

    For you to be able to apply for the Grants for Dependents funding such as Parents' Learning Allowances (PLA) and Childcare Grant (CCG), the child doesn't need to be biologically yours but he would need to be classed as financially dependent on you.

    To show this (in addition to sending in a copy of the child's birth certificate), we would need a copy of a recent Tax Credit Award Notice letter (TCAN) and your name would need to appear on this along with the child's. Your partner may not receive Working Tax Credits but they may be receiving Child Tax Credits but if you are not named on the award this wouldn't be able to be used as evidence.

    We usually can accept a most recent Child Benefit letter with the child named on it but child benefit doesn't have joint claimants on the award so it would just be your partners name on this so we wouldn't be able to use that.

    The final option would be a Universal Credit (UC) award Letter and you would need to be named on this and showing as being in receipt of the child element of UC.

    It sounds as if you quite possibly wouldn't have any of these things in your name and if you can't get added to the award and get a letter sent out to confirm this then unfortunately you wouldn't be able to apply for the Grants for Dependents funding. It would just be the means tested Maintenance Loan you would be able to get based on your partners income.

What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.