Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do (first-year) uni-students tend to ask others what grades they got in A Level/BTEC? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, I am just curious.
    I was wondering if first-year students tend to ask their friends about what they achieved in their A-Levels/BTECs (or the courses they studied). When I had just started my A-Levels, I was bombarded with people asking what I got in my GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    No, nobody cares about that stuff anymore once they get into uni. It might crop up in discussion about meeting/missing offers for the uni in the first week or so, but beyond that nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cholesterol)
    I was wondering if first-year students tend to ask their friends about what they achieved in their A-Levels/BTECs (or the courses they studied). When I had just started my A-Levels, I was bombarded with people asking what I got in my GCSEs.
    Very rarely. It's literally a clean slate for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering the exact same thing lol
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Some friends may ask you as it could come up in a convo, but beyond that, it really doesn't matter and nobody cares.

ReputationRep:
    No

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it pops up.. But people don't care because you're at uni.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If it comes up and you're not happy disclosing your grades then (as with any other situation where people are asking personal questions you're not comfortable with) lie.

ReputationRep:
    I've talked about it with a few people at uni over the first year. Nobody really judges here.

ReputationRep:
    People have mentioned the subjects they've studied, but I've never heard grades discussed.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's a Freshers' Week conversation only - the student equivalent of 'turned out nice again!' Once you start get to know people, no-one really cares.

Nah.

1) Nobody really cares
    2) It dawns on most people that it's totally irrelevant what grades everyone received as you all ended up at the same place regardless
    3) A lot of people you'll speak to during Freshers (+housemates) will likely be doing different courses to you/did different A Levels to you anyway and therefore see point 1.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Some people have mentioned their grades to me but they've never asked for mine, it's more about the subject you're going on to study so people might ask why you wanted to do it and things like that, but as others have said, you'll be studying different subjects to your flatmates and anyone on your course has ended up in the same place regardless of what grades they got - nobody on my course has ever asked me or discussed it!

ReputationRep:
    I was asked a couple of times, but it was just really in freshers week, and in the first seminars where you had to 'get to know' the person sitting next to you. No one really cares what other people got, it's just an easy way to start talking to people because obviously most people have just finished their A-Levels, so have that in common.

ReputationRep:
    What does it matter, you're already in Uni, everyone's trying to focus on their own thing now.

ReputationRep:
    Many people asked me / I asked many people. I'm curious

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I remember the question being asked time and again during Freshers week along with where you come from. It got to the point where I just started answering with random A levels and grades.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    In the two unis I went to it, we were all nosy and asked why this we chose the courses we did and what we got in our A-levels. And then that was that. No fuss, no passing judgments.

It just depends. Some people are curious to know. It doesn't mean they want to brag about their top grades or belittle someone with lower grades than themselves.

It was a "omg you got AAA and you're at THIS **** uni?!" or "I got DDD cause I didn't revise and they still let me in lol". It's all just a conversation starter during Freshers and it's forgotten in a minute or too.

That was my experience anyway.

ReputationRep:
    some people talked about what A levels they did but I don't think anyone mentioned their grades

ReputationRep:
    During freshers, the subjects you did often comes up, as a get to know you kind of thing. People don't tend to be interested in the actual grades you got though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.