Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't see myself able to get a level grades required to study medicine, so if i were to study biomedical sciences and get a bachelors degree is there any way I could then go on to further study medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siimiivb)
    I don't see myself able to get a level grades required to study medicine, so if i were to study biomedical sciences and get a bachelors degree is there any way I could then go on to further study medicine?
    I did this, but first you must consider the financial implications (won't have access to loan for second degree) and the fact you will be spending 3 years doing something else. I did biomedical science because I didn't have the grades but also because I knew I would enjoy it, and it was a career path I would be happy to take if medicine failed. So if you don't have a plan B yet, I would suggest that the degree you choose to do is something that you would enjoy. If you enjoy it you are more likely to get better marks as well. Also, a lot of the medical schools accept uni degrees that may seem irrelevant, I've heard people who studied history, economics go on to do medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siimiivb)
    Yes there are graduate entry medical degrees. However, they are more competitive to get into, as well as being more expensive and longer.

If you are from a disadvantaged background in any way you may be eligible for foundation medical courses, which have lower entry requirements (though are actually no less competitive). Look it up if its relevant to you.

(Original post by alkyone)
    I did this, but first you must consider the financial implications (won't have access to loan for second degree)
    Why have people started saying this recently? Yes, you do. The only thing you are liable for up front without SFE/NHS help is £3500 of tuition fees in your first year. All other tuition fees and some money for living costs are covered. There is a good summary below.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/a...es/medics2017/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Yes there are graduate entry medical degrees. However, they are more competitive to get into, as well as being more expensive and longer.

If you are from a disadvantaged background in any way you may be eligible for foundation medical courses, which have lower entry requirements (though are actually no less competitive). Look it up if its relevant to you.

Why have people started saying this recently? Yes, you do. The only thing you are liable for up front without SFE/NHS help is £3500 of tuition fees in your first year. All other tuition fees and some money for living costs are covered. There is a good summary below.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/a...es/medics2017/
    My bad, maybe that's because I'm an EU student. Do you know if the financial help is only available to students doing graduate medicine, or if graduates on 5 year courses are eligible too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkyone)
    My bad, maybe that's because I'm an EU student. Do you know if the financial help is only available to students doing graduate medicine, or if graduates on 5 year courses are eligible too?
    I'd be surprised if they're allowed to offer UK students help but not EU, as long as you fulfilled the residency requirements. As long as we remain part of the EU anyway!

Only applicable to graduate entry courses. The undergrad entry course does work as you say, with no financial help if its a second degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I'd be surprised if they're allowed to offer UK students help but not EU, as long as you fulfilled the residency requirements. As long as we remain part of the EU anyway!

Only applicable to graduate entry courses. The undergrad entry course does work as you say, with no financial help if its a second degree.
    Well I know for sure that we are not entitled to maintenance loans, so I am not too sure! Thanks for getting back to me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.