Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply for the children's nursing course (as well as the nursing course) however I've heard that the chances are low to be accepted straight after sixth form. What should I be doing during this time, until I can next apply?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by LauraS3)
    I want to apply for the children's nursing course (as well as the nursing course) however I've heard that the chances are low to be accepted straight after sixth form. What should I be doing during this time, until I can next apply?
    Get feedback on why you didnt make it through.
    It may be interview or application.
    It is just as likely to be lack of relevant experience.
    The uni sets out its selection criteria and what it looks for. Just use the time to improve your application in all aspects.
    Jeep up communication with he department so they know what you are doing and they keep you in mind.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    To clarify, are you going to be applying or have you already applied?
    If you are yet to apply, don't be put off, applicants do get offers straight from sixth form, you can maximise your chances by doing your research & getting relevant experience to have the best chance of an offer.
    If you have been unsuccessful, get feedback & use it to improve your application for next time and get more experience from paid and/or voluntary work.
    I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel_l218)
    To clarify, are you going to be applying or have you already applied?
    If you are yet to apply, don't be put off, applicants do get offers straight from sixth form, you can maximise your chances by doing your research & getting relevant experience to have the best chance of an offer.
    If you have been unsuccessful, get feedback & use it to improve your application for next time and get more experience from paid and/or voluntary work.
    I hope this helps.
    I will be applying, I'm going into year 13 in September.

Thank you for the helpp )
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I will be applying, I'm going into year 13 in September.

Thank you for the helpp )
    No problem, glad I could help. I recommend going to university open days, you can get advice about personal statements and the interview/selection day and other tips from current student nurses. I am a mature student starting nursing in September & found them really useful.
    Good luck with your application and year 13 at sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel_l218)
    No problem, glad I could help. I recommend going to university open days, you can get advice about personal statements and the interview/selection day and other tips from current student nurses. I am a mature student starting nursing in September & found them really useful.
    Good luck with your application and year 13 at sixth form.
    Thank you! There's an open day next month so I'll go to there!

Good luck with your degree🎉

ReputationRep:
    Try and get some experience. Volunteering at a nursing home or a childrens play group. this will be good for the application.

ReputationRep:
    care work alwayslooks good. so does doing things like the red cross st johns. in your personnel statement be clear why you want to nurse. at interview they should askwhy you want to nurse. if you have a strong personel story thats convinced you that nursing is you future use it. many years back i explained how i was impressed by the care the nurses gave to our daughter and the example of a student nurse attending our daughter funeral. that care extended beyond the immediate point of contact. this still impacts on my bereavement visits.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.