Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What misconceptions do people have about your pets? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    There are misconceptions surrounding every animal, even those many of us know well as pets. They range from somewhat understandable - the myth that snakes feel cold and slimy to the superstitious myths such as black cats being very unlucky and even evil.

What myths or misconceptions have you encountered as a pet owner? What would you like to set straight about your beloved pets?

For me as a cat owner, the most common misconceptions I have encountered are -

*Cats aren't affectionate - Wrong. Not every cat will be overly affectionate but cats can indeed be very loving, just as much as dogs. Cats can sometimes show their affection for you in very obvious ways like you are used to with a dog such as licking you but they often show their love in smaller ways such as kneading you - they do this to their mother to help her produce milk and once they become older, they knead as a comfort aid, headbutting or cheek-rubbing against you (this put their scent on you and in a way claims you as their own ), leaving you 'gifts' e.g dead birds :eek:, sleeping near you or exposing their tummy's to you - cats are most vulnerable when they are asleep or on their backs so if they feel comfortable enough to sleep beside you or expose their tummy to you - feel very honoured :yep: and also 'kitty kisses' - it may look as though they are giving you 'the evils' when they stare at you with their eyes half closed but that is their way of showing affection. Do it back to them
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    My guinea pigs often get confused for hamsters and I get asked if they run around in balls.

ReputationRep:
    That I have one- I live in a flat and am out of the house too much to have a cat or dog.

ReputationRep:
    People seem to think my cats are horrible violent creatures. In hindsight, may be calling them Retribution, Pestilence, and Fluffy Destroyer of Worlds was not such a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    People always think my dog's a boy because her collar is blue. Also, people assume that I've had her from a puppy and that I know her breed. She's a rescue, definitely some sort of lurcher, but we don't know exactly what's in her.

People always think my cat is a lot younger than she is. I guess people who don't know about cats think that their fur all goes grey when they get old, like humans, but my cat (she's classed as 'geriatric' based on her age) doesn't look any different from how she looked when she was younger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    There are misconceptions surrounding every animal, even those many of us know well as pets. They range from somewhat understandable - the myth that snakes feel cold and slimy to the superstitious myths such as black cats being very unlucky and even evil.

What myths or misconceptions have you encountered as a pet owner? What would you like to set straight about your beloved pets?

For me as a cat owner, the most common misconceptions I have encountered are -

*Cats aren't affectionate - Wrong. Not every cat will be overly affectionate but cats can indeed be very loving, just as much as dogs. Cats can sometimes show their affection for you in very obvious ways like you are used to with a dog such as licking you but they often show their love in smaller ways such as kneading you - they do this to their mother to help her produce milk and once they become older, they knead as a comfort aid, headbutting or cheek-rubbing against you (this put their scent on you and in a way claims you as their own ), leaving you 'gifts' e.g dead birds :eek:, sleeping near you or exposing their tummy's to you - cats are most vulnerable when they are asleep or on their backs so if they feel comfortable enough to sleep beside you or expose their tummy to you - feel very honoured :yep: and also 'kitty kisses' - it may look as though they are giving you 'the evils' when they stare at you with their eyes half closed but that is their way of showing affection. Do it back to them
    Even though our little minnie moo is the most menacing dog and she seems to be so stupid sometimes giving us the dumb look of "How do I get ball??" even though it is so simple but she's in reality super smart and does things like that to make us get up and get our attention and always knows how to get her way xD
    Smartest/Greediest dog ever haha

ReputationRep:
    People always assume my dog is male for no reason. She clearly has no dong hanging off her?! Even when you tell someone its a female they still think the dog is male.
    Gender assuming pigs!

ReputationRep:
    I've got 2 rats that a lot of people think are gross and disease carrying, but they're not! They're the sweetest creatures and they love to play, and they're super cute.

ReputationRep:
    That rottweilers are vicious. I've got a 5 month old rottie and she's the softest thing ever.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever people see my snake they get scared and ask if he bites. A lot of them are surprised when they find out he has only bitten once and that was a complete accident as he missed his mouse and recoiled straight away after biting. They are surprisingly sweet and friendly pets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepsi_Max)
    That rottweilers are vicious. I've got a 5 month old rottie and she's the softest thing ever.
    Rotties are so lovely! I hope to have one of my own one day, though maybe my list of dog breeds to own is a little longer than is realistic...

ReputationRep:
    For some reason people give me a weird look when I say I am a beekeeper so have two honeybee colonies!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2007PSanHa)
    For some reason people give me a weird look when I say I am a beekeeper so have two honeybee colonies!
    :eek: That's amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PotassiumIodide3)
    Rotties are so lovely! I hope to have one of my own one day, though maybe my list of dog breeds to own is a little longer than is realistic...
    They really are! They're awesome and same here, I want all the dogs...

I can attach a pic if anyone wants to see her (she's cute, I promise).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    They really are! They're awesome and same here, I want all the dogs...

I can attach a pic if anyone wants to see her (she's cute, I promise).
    Butting in here but I want to see her!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_20170606_164001_315.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  129.2 KB

Here she is
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_20170606_164001_315.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  129.2 KB

Here she is
    Omg she's so sweet She looks so soft and cuddly! I absolutely love the colouring on rottweilers :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Omg she's so sweet She looks so soft and cuddly! I absolutely love the colouring on rottweilers :love:
    She is and so do I!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    People think our whippet is a boy (er because she ucks her tail in a lot) He is a she. Also as someone who helps look after our dog and either me or my parents mentioned our dog being a rescue dog (mostly to family or friends) they can assume that they're really hard work / naughty. Which sadly yes that can be true but not always.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bizzy_penguin)
    People think our whippet is a boy (er because she ucks her tail in a lot) He is a she. Also as someone who helps look after our dog and either me or my parents mentioned our dog being a rescue dog (mostly to family or friends) they can assume that they're really hard work / naughty. Which sadly yes that can be true but not always.
    I've got three whippets! All boys though :P loads of people think ours are crosses because they're pretty big and muscly. they are such a wonderful breed though!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.