Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

QTS numeracy skills test 2017 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm going to do my numeracy skills test very soon. I was just wondering what is the minimum amount I could get on the 12 mental arithmetic questions ( as this is my weakness) and still pass overall?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I've been researching, and people have reccommended to score around 6 or 7 correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myiaainley11)
    I've been researching, and people have reccommended to score around 6 or 7 correct.
    Thank you! Thats a good aim.

ReputationRep:
    18 out of the 28 is the pass mark (64%), there are 12 marks in the mental maths section so if you get 100% on the rest of the test (16) you only need 2 in the mental maths section.

I did my test at the weekend, I was barely able to do the practice questions in the time limit so I was really scared about the actual test, but as it happens I answered all the questions with enough time to spare to check my method in the 55 seconds. Personally I found the actual questions to be significantly easier than the practice ones. So as long as you know how to do them using all the tricks, don't worry too much about the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostRiot)
    18 out of the 28 is the pass mark (64%), there are 12 marks in the mental maths section so if you get 100% on the rest of the test (16) you only need 2 in the mental maths section.

I did my test at the weekend, I was barely able to do the practice questions in the time limit so I was really scared about the actual test, but as it happens I answered all the questions with enough time to spare to check my method in the 55 seconds. Personally I found the actual questions to be significantly easier than the practice ones. So as long as you know how to do them using all the tricks, don't worry too much about the time.
    Thanks! I actually did my test this morning, and missed passing by 5 marks, which is so annoying. It was definitely because of my timing. Just need to practice more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rm03)
    Thanks! I actually did my test this morning, and missed passing by 5 marks, which is so annoying. It was definitely because of my timing. Just need to practice more.
    Yeah, make sure you do the online practices (which have the explanations of how to do the working) and also watch the youtube videos of people working through the timed online practice tests. The questions all fall into certain categories, if you need to simplify a fraction...its probably going to involve knowing your times tables for example. Once you know the way in which you need to tackle each question they are much easier. First time I did the maths questions I failed them, but I went over and over them, and rather than worrying about getting the right answer in the time limit make sure you're able to identify how you can go about simplifying the problem, that's much more important.

Good luck! I think as long as you take it seriously and practice the questions over and over you should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, make sure you do the online practices (which have the explanations of how to do the working) and also watch the youtube videos of people working through the timed online practice tests. The questions all fall into certain categories, if you need to simplify a fraction...its probably going to involve knowing your times tables for example. Once you know the way in which you need to tackle each question they are much easier. First time I did the maths questions I failed them, but I went over and over them, and rather than worrying about getting the right answer in the time limit make sure you're able to identify how you can go about simplifying the problem, that's much more important.

Good luck! I think as long as you take it seriously and practice the questions over and over you should be ok.
    Yeah I agree with you, it is about recognising what needs to be used to get the answer. Do you have any suggestions on materials to use? I watch GA numerical's videos which are very helpful, but just wondering if theres anything else I could look at. I'm planning on re-sitting next week as I'm under a uni time constraint!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rm03)
    Yeah I agree with you, it is about recognising what needs to be used to get the answer. Do you have any suggestions on materials to use? I watch GA numerical's videos which are very helpful, but just wondering if theres anything else I could look at. I'm planning on re-sitting next week as I'm under a uni time constraint!
    I would just go through the online tests here over and over again until you remember the way to do each of them. I did one of the tests, then watched the video to work out how to do the ones you didn't know, then do the test again, using the methods you just watched. Then I went on to the next.

ReputationRep:
    I would just go through the online tests here over and over again until you remember the way to do each of them. I did one of the tests, then watched the video to work out how to do the ones you didn't know, then do the test again, using the methods you just watched. Then I went on to the next.
    Alright thank you, I'll keep practicing

ReputationRep:
    I am shockingly bad at maths and passed my test first time last week. It was a pretty nerve wracking experience, but I found the test much easier than the practice versions. So much so that I thought I had failed as the questions were so straight forward, there was little working out to do. By that I mean no complicated working out, instead it was mainly adding, subtracting and simple division. Any graphs were simple, not like some I had revised. To help me get up to speed in preparartion I thought I had bought papers from GA numerical (I didn't know so many competitors existed) but had actually bought papers from qts tutor. They were difficult but it meant I went in over prepared. I also found the government papers helpful.

Good luck
    ps is it just me or is there a huge industry developing of the back of these tests?? What should have been a government initiative to ensure would-be teachers know the basics seems to have become a hugely lucrative market for some. A quick google shows tutors (online and face to face), books, past tests and apps all readily available. I think the government ......since they make us take the darn things should at least give us more free past papers or at least curb the costs of the numerous resources and expensive 'aids' popping up. Rant over lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidialfieshed)
    I am shockingly bad at maths and passed my test first time last week. It was a pretty nerve wracking experience, but I found the test much easier than the practice versions. So much so that I thought I had failed as the questions were so straight forward, there was little working out to do. By that I mean no complicated working out, instead it was mainly adding, subtracting and simple division. Any graphs were simple, not like some I had revised. To help me get up to speed in preparartion I thought I had bought papers from GA numerical (I didn't know so many competitors existed) but had actually bought papers from qts tutor. They were difficult but it meant I went in over prepared. I also found the government papers helpful.

Good luck
    ps is it just me or is there a huge industry developing of the back of these tests?? What should have been a government initiative to ensure would-be teachers know the basics seems to have become a hugely lucrative market for some. A quick google shows tutors (online and face to face), books, past tests and apps all readily available. I think the government ......since they make us take the darn things should at least give us more free past papers or at least curb the costs of the numerous resources and expensive 'aids' popping up. Rant over lol
    Hi, well done on passing. I had my test last week and missed passing by 5 marks.The mental arithmetic section was my downfall.so I've just got to keep practicing. I've also brought the GA numerical papers and have heard great reviews about them.

Yes there does seem to be a growing business surrounding the QTS tests, I do feel the the gov site should provided us with more than 4 papers.I agree, Ive been through them all multiple times and would benefit from more!
    Thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rm03)
    Hi, well done on passing. I had my test last week and missed passing by 5 marks.The mental arithmetic section was my downfall.so I've just got to keep practicing. I've also brought the GA numerical papers and have heard great reviews about them.

Yes there does seem to be a growing business surrounding the QTS tests, I do feel the the gov site should provided us with more than 4 papers.I agree, Ive been through them all multiple times and would benefit from more!
    Thanks for your reply
    Just out of interest, are you applying for Primary or Secondary? And which subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Just out of interest, are you applying for Primary or Secondary? And which subject?
    Hi, I'm applying for a secondary psychology PGCE

ReputationRep:
    Hello Guys,
    Has anyone had the following issue, when sitting the Numeracy Skill test and answering multi choice questions: let's say Q6, I mark answer B, then move on to the next questions; after a while I go back to Q6 and I don't see my already marked answer - it looks like I have not answer the question? It is happened with all of the multi schoice qusetions(5-6 in totals). I have never had this problem when practicing on the DfE practice paper, I mean I go back to review my answer and the answers are there. I sat both my attempts in Croydon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazarina)
    Hello Guys,
    Has anyone had the following issue, when sitting the Numeracy Skill test and answering multi choice questions: let's say Q6, I mark answer B, then move on to the next questions; after a while I go back to Q6 and I don't see my already marked answer - it looks like I have not answer the question? It is happened with all of the multi schoice qusetions(5-6 in totals). I have never had this problem when practicing on the DfE practice paper, I mean I go back to review my answer and the answers are there. I sat both my attempts in Croydon.
    I sat my first attempt in Croydon and didn't experience this. However I did do my other attempts at lewisham and passed. Maybe contact the centre and let them know.

ReputationRep:
    I need to pass numeracy test to start u i any help please

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.