Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have completed my AS levels and awaiting results but I want to change my career path so I am looking to get into an IT apprenticeship with no experience or qualification in IT.

However I don't know what field to get into. I know software engineering is the best field but I feel it is too hard and requires really good skills. Therefore is there any IT field which:
    1. Is very easy and doesn't require such a skillful and smart person to do
    2. Will provide a salary of at least £40k after 10 years of experience
    3. In very high demand and provides an easy opportunity to get a job in that field.

Thing with software engineering is that it doesn't tick the first box. Also does digital marketing tick all 3 boxes

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Please someone reply

How come within 10 minutes of someone's post, they get so many replies and I only get like 2 in a week

ReputationRep:
    Your question is too general so people are less likely to have an adequate answer and therefore respond. You're also asking questions which your regular user on TSR would not have the experience of answering. First, IT fields all require some level of knowledge and work. Sure you could do a techie job like being a technician at a school and get an easy £16-22k per year but that yields no real career ladder and doesn't satisfy No.2.

Most IT fields will provide £40k after 10 years experience provided you are taking more senior/responsibility heavy roles and they usually require effort. No one on here, let alone myself can quantify for you if that is 'easy' because we are for the most part either students ourselves or just recently graduated. Your 3rd point is just plainly not realistic because if a job was in high demand and an easy opportunity then it wouldn't be in high demand.

TL;DR: Your question reads like: I want lots of money but i don't want to put effort, tell me how to make an easy living. Hence people do not want to answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NecroKamios)
    Your question is too general so people are less likely to have an adequate answer and therefore respond. You're also asking questions which your regular user on TSR would not have the experience of answering. First, IT fields all require some level of knowledge and work. Sure you could do a techie job like being a technician at a school and get an easy £16-22k per year but that yields no real career ladder and doesn't satisfy No.2.

Most IT fields will provide £40k after 10 years experience provided you are taking more senior/responsibility heavy roles and they usually require effort. No one on here, let alone myself can quantify for you if that is 'easy' because we are for the most part either students ourselves or just recently graduated. Your 3rd point is just plainly not realistic because if a job was in high demand and an easy opportunity then it wouldn't be in high demand.

TL;DR: Your question reads like: I want lots of money but i don't want to put effort, tell me how to make an easy living. Hence people do not want to answer.
    Thank you for answering. I might sound like I don't want to effort in ot anything like that but the thing is I just don't know what I want to get into. I've already flopped the sciences, I have retook my A levels choosing History and Politics subjects and now am worried because they are pretty **** subjects as in they don't provide a good or open options, unless you EXCEL in the subjects.

That's why I ask if there is a job that doesn't require such high standards, but is in demand, because with Law, you have to either excel in your A-levels to get a high salary, or just don't pick it at all.

Also, I think the third point is realistic because a job CAN be in high demand which is also an easy opportunity. Let me explain. IT is a new industry. More and more companies are now relying on using technology. And at the same time, not many people are getting into IT (as there any other fields like engineering, doctor etc), so in a way, there is high demanding jobs that are not that hard to get into, such as digital marketing.

Hence why I asked in my post 'does digital marketing tick all the boxes', because I heard it isn't painfully hard compared to software development, but is also in high demand (but not as much or even close to the demand in software engineering), which also provides a decent pay I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabid61)
    Hi, I have completed my AS levels and awaiting results but I want to change my career path so I am looking to get into an IT apprenticeship with no experience or qualification in IT.

However I don't know what field to get into. I know software engineering is the best field but I feel it is too hard and requires really good skills. Therefore is there any IT field which:
    1. Is very easy and doesn't require such a skillful and smart person to do
    I'm not sure you're describing an IT field with that requirement. Even IT sales are going to require a sharp mind despite its less technical nature. There are plenty of jobs for people that aren't skilful or smart that involve using computers but in the IT field itself, it all requires being quite smart, especially as everything you know at a given time is largely redundant within 10 years.

2. Will provide a salary of at least £40k after 10 years of experience
    Some software engineers don't manage that, it all depends on how skilled you are in the field, how well you sell yourself, and a little bit of luck.

3. In very high demand and provides an easy opportunity to get a job in that field.

Thing with software engineering is that it doesn't tick the first box. Also does digital marketing tick all 3 boxes

thanks
    I think it's easy to see IT as some kind of gold rush. Yes, there is a shortage of skilled people. Key word though is skilled, there is no shortage of people who want to cash in by trying to find work in the field, but it's the crazy smart people that are in short supply that the industry is crying out for. People that can create, build, and fix things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabid61)
    Thank you for answering. I might sound like I don't want to effort in ot anything like that but the thing is I just don't know what I want to get into. I've already flopped the sciences, I have retook my A levels choosing History and Politics subjects and now am worried because they are pretty **** subjects as in they don't provide a good or open options, unless you EXCEL in the subjects.
    My opinion when reading this part is that it might be a bit late for you to be particularly picky about what you work in at this point. I'll explain why I think so. Usually, when you go through education you start with all subjects at KS3, then narrow down the subjects that cater to you when you pick your GCSEs, and repeat that when picking A-levels. By this point, you need to have a good idea about what you do well in and what you are absolutely hopeless with. E.g. I cannot draw for the life of me, nor can I write anything close to a good essay so I'll avoid those fields. If you think Maths and Sciences are not for you then I think your question should be more general (and in a different part of TSR) and be along the lines of "I did XYZ for GCSE and A-levels, I enjoyed this but I don't know what sort of degree I should take and if there are any job opportunities following, please advise".

That's why I ask if there is a job that doesn't require such high standards, but is in demand, because with Law, you have to either excel in your A-levels to get a high salary, or just don't pick it at all.
    I think BigYoSpeck's answer hits this part on the head much better than I could and anything I add to this would just be paraphrasing. If academics aren't for you then consider apprenticeships and just google around see what you can find or ask for advice with a relevant question.

Also, I think the third point is realistic because a job CAN be in high demand which is also an easy opportunity. Let me explain. IT is a new industry. More and more companies are now relying on using technology. And at the same time, not many people are getting into IT (as there any other fields like engineering, doctor etc), so in a way, there is high demanding jobs that are not that hard to get into, such as digital marketing.
    IT is an ever changing field. Technology changes quite frequently, and when it does you have to go and learn that new technology. That's also quite the opposite, more and more people are picking IT/Computing. The field is just so wide that no single programmer is trained for all the software engineer roles available, for example. e.g. I know how to program in C++/C/Java and that works for building applications for windows or the like, but I am no web developer or database administrator, its almost a completely different set of skills. I could go and learn them, but I wouldn't be adequate for the job without training for a sufficient period. Another thing I'd correct with your logic is that you've assumed that because IT is a (relatively) new industry means its easy. I can't speak for digital marketing as I don't know of its jobs. That's for you to research.

Hence why I asked in my post 'does digital marketing tick all the boxes', because I heard it isn't painfully hard compared to software development, but is also in high demand (but not as much or even close to the demand in software engineering), which also provides a decent pay I think.
    Even if your source is correct, there are some questions you should be asking/googling the answers for:
    - Does that automatically mean that the jobs are easy even if the course is less demanding?
    - Does it's pay reach what you're desiring?
    - How easy is it to get a job in it?

and the most important question I think that's worth asking is whether you will actually enjoy it or not. I don't advise working in a field that you don't enjoy but this is up to you. Above all, we cannot help you with that knowledge because Digital Marketing is a discrete field within Marketing/Management/Business Studies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.