Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would it be inappropriate to wear this outfit to a wedding? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I want to wear this to my boyfriend's sister's wedding. I have tried it on for my boyfriend and he said I looked great, didn't seem worried about it at all, but I'm concerned that wearing black and cream might offend the bride? My mum and sister also think it will be fine but I'm just not sure. Opinions? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images

• Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be fine. You can wear what you want

ReputationRep:
    It's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eleanor161)
    So I want to wear this to my boyfriend's sister's wedding. I have tried it on for my boyfriend and he said I looked great, didn't seem worried about it at all, but I'm concerned that wearing black and cream might offend the bride? My mum and sister also think it will be fine but I'm just not sure. Opinions? Thanks in advance.
    It's not a FCKING FUNERAL. JEEZ YOU LOOK LIKE THE WOMAN IN BLACK.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Lovely dress

My mum wore a black and cream dress to my wedding last week and she looked amazing I think its only 'bad etiquette' to wear a full on white or cream dress to a wedding when you aren't the bride - a dress with just some cream in it is absolutely fine plenty of people wore just plain black dresses to my wedding and didn't look out of place at all. They all looked happy and upbeat and like they are definitely at a wedding and not a funeral

ReputationRep:
    qt

it should be fine
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apeshit007)
    It's not a FCKING FUNERAL. JEEZ YOU LOOK LIKE THE WOMAN IN BLACK.
    She puts the "fun" in "funeral"
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    So pretty! It's absolutely fine. The fact it's black and cream kind of cancels out the negatives for wearing each colour on their own if that makes any sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    She puts the "fun" in "funeral"
    SAVAGE level 101 ACHIEVED
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Looks lovely

ReputationRep:
    More funeral wear

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fine for wedding. You look lovely

ReputationRep:
    May I also just add for anyone else who would like to give their opinion that it is a winter wedding (November)... I'm not sure if that matters :P

ReputationRep:
    I think it is very pretty and absolutely fine for a wedding. Just make sure if it's going to be a winter wedding that you will be warm enough though !

ReputationRep:
    Just looked at the photo again. The hat and bag are very nice too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eleanor161)
    You look lovely. Very classy and fine for a winter wedding. Could you jazz it up with some jewels maybe - a necklace rather than a choker?

As markova21 quite rightly points out, what's the coat/shrug/pashmina situation?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Blue and gold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    You look lovely. Very classy and fine for a winter wedding. Could you jazz it up with some jewels maybe - a necklace rather than a choker?
    That's an excellent suggestion, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    So pretty! It's absolutely fine. The fact it's black and cream kind of cancels out the negatives for wearing each colour on their own if that makes any sense
    Thank you. That was my thinking on it Just wanted a bit of reassurance from others as I haven't been to a wedding in ages and I'm not really sure what's okay and what's not these days! It seems the rules change.

ReputationRep:
    I have a smart cream coat which I could wear. I doubt I'll be wearing it much as all of the wedding is taking place in one venue so it'll only be to walk in and out with really; we'll be indoors the whole day other than that. Do you think wearing a cream coat will be too much cream though? :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.