Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,I have a question about the Open university Computing and IT with Design. I am 21 and work in a Bookmakers (Bookies) taking bets I have 8 GCSE including Maths, English, Science, IT, Engineering. I went to college but studied construction and then worked in that industry for a while but when my apprenticeship finished we was all made redundent.- Question 1 is I want to work in IT or Design (Game Design or Virtual Design) but because the Game Design industry is so hard to get into would the other half of my IT get me a job in like computing maintence like a school It Technician.- Question 2 is should i do a Certificates of Higher Education then a Diplomas of Higher Education and so on until i have a degree or go straight for a honours degree. thanks

ReputationRep:
    The course you're looking at, Q67, devotes half of your study to Computing & IT, and half to a second subject, in your case Design. In the straight Computing & IT degree course, Q62, there are many different computer related focuses you can pursue, and you can end up following as many as three of those paths. The diversity you gain with your second subject in Q67 comes at the cost of diversity in Q62: you can only follow a single computing path. As a result, you can take the Computer Science path OR the Software Engineering path OR the Networking path. To be very useful to IT, such as in a school, you'd want the Networking path or other non-path IT modules, but then couldn't take a path which would help with coding games. In short, studying Design means you have to choose between coding or IT in your path.

However, you don't really need to study IT academically at all to get a job in it. A degree through any path might be enough, or you may need to combine it with a certification that's been self-studied, to get your foot in the door on your first job. In IT, experience is what really matters.

As to the certificates and degrees along the way, there's no real benefit to picking them up. If you get a job while still studying, employers are likely to be as impressed with studying for your BSC hons. as would be the dip. or cert. And the OU doesn't like to split it the years like that.

ReputationRep:
    So i should go for the straight computing and IT hounors degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ako123leeds)
    So i should go for the straight computing and IT hounors degree
    Nobody can make your decisions. There are lots of paths. If you want to study design and coding and IT, study two at uni and self study the third. Or at post-graduate level if you can satisfy the prerequisites.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get a job as a school IT technician for example this can be accomplished without a degree. You will still need to sit exams however! You'll need to sit the CompTIA A+ exams then your Microsoft MCSA Windows 10 and Office 365 exams. Once you've done that you'll have a solid foundation to work as a desktop support engineer. You will probably have to get experience either via an apprenticeship like I had to do or work for around 6 months on a service desk before they'll let you loose on your own with users though.

If on the other hand you want to get into coding especially in the games industry i'd highly recommend that you take Computing IT and Maths as your second subject.

As other posters have said though no one can make these decisions for you. An OU degree is no small commitment, your looking at 4 years work minimum (although some crazy people have kamikaze'd it in three).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.