Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is the best (and easiest) route to get into IT, degree or apprenticeship, and why?

Which one provides a better chance in getting a job and making a lot of money in the future. Also is a Bachlors in Software Engineering better than a Software engineering apprenticeship.

What is the best (and easiest) route to get into IT, degree or apprenticeship, and why?

ReputationRep:
    You could get a job without needing to go for a degree or an apprenticeship as long as you show that you have the skill and knowledge to do your job effectively then your good. All you need is a good portfolio of products. Me though I'm going into a software engineering degree

ReputationRep:
    Programming seems like one of those rare fields these days where you can get a job without any qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabid61)

Which one provides a better chance in getting a job and making a lot of money in the future. Also is a Bachlors in Software Engineering better than a Software engineering apprenticeship.

So you want an easy way to make a lot of money....tbh I don't know if Software Engineering is right for you. It is an incredibly demanding field and requires serious effort. It is also an incredibly frustrating thing to do (coding) and can be pretty stressful.

What I'm saying is if you are wanting to be a software engineer just for money or because you think its a cool job, you are going to end up unhappy, stressed and probably not much better paid than if you worked in Asda full time. You will also likely end up being a poor coder.

People who get well paid and are great coders love tech and coding. Its often a hobby for them. They seek out the most difficult projects because they love the challenge. They often have top marks on their degrees and are involved in a lot of coding projects outside of work.

I work for one of the biggest tech companies in the country. We offer jobs to roughly 2% of the applicants we get. We are looking for people who like a challenge and love tech as much as we do. Maybe I am taking your original post all wrong, but someone looking for an "easy" life won't get far in software engineering.

A better line of work might be an IT helpdesk at a call centre. You will do weird shifts and the money isn't great but its usually hassle free. "Easy", if you will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    So you want an easy way to make a lot of money....tbh I don't know if Software Engineering is right for you. It is an incredibly demanding field and requires serious effort. It is also an incredibly frustrating thing to do (coding) and can be pretty stressful.

What I'm saying is if you are wanting to be a software engineer just for money or because you think its a cool job, you are going to end up unhappy, stressed and probably not much better paid than if you worked in Asda full time. You will also likely end up being a poor coder.

People who get well paid and are great coders love tech and coding. Its often a hobby for them. They seek out the most difficult projects because they love the challenge. They often have top marks on their degrees and are involved in a lot of coding projects outside of work.

I work for one of the biggest tech companies in the country. We offer jobs to roughly 2% of the applicants we get. We are looking for people who like a challenge and love tech as much as we do. Maybe I am taking your original post all wrong, but someone looking for an "easy" life won't get far in software engineering.

A better line of work might be an IT helpdesk at a call centre. You will do weird shifts and the money isn't great but its usually hassle free. "Easy", if yousoftw will.
    Thanks for replying, I rarely get replies. You did take my original post wrong. What I mean was does doing an apprenticeship in Software engineering give you a better route and opportunity into getting a job in Software engineering and rising in the ranks and making big money in the future compared to doing a Bachlors degree in computer science (or software engineering if there is such a degree called that). And when I meant easy, I meant would the apprenticeship be an easier option, or at least 'less harder'.

Also, I am glad you took my answer wrong because you have also answered another one my questions about 'should I do software engineering, would it be right for me', and I realised it is not for me, even if the pay is high.

Speaking of which, what IT field would you recommend for me as I wont be very good at coding or technical stuff, but is not too stressful and difficult. Also the field should preferably be demanding as well and also provide a decent pay in the future. I am thinking of getting into digital marketing as it is not too technical and it is in some sort of demand (at least more than law I think, correct me if I am wrong) and does pay a decent amount in the future once I have the experience. Well I think it is the most in demand IT job which IS NOT TOO TECHNICAL.

Do you have any advice or info for me in regards to anything I said?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying, I rarely get replies. You did take my original post wrong. What I mean was does doing an apprenticeship in Software engineering give you a better route and opportunity into getting a job in Software engineering and rising in the ranks and making big money in the future compared to doing a Bachlors degree in computer science (or software engineering if there is such a degree called that). And when I meant easy, I meant would the apprenticeship be an easier option, or at least 'less harder'.

Also, I am glad you took my answer wrong because you have also answered another one my questions about 'should I do software engineering, would it be right for me', and I realised it is not for me, even if the pay is high.

Speaking of which, what IT field would you recommend for me as I wont be very good at coding or technical stuff, but is not too stressful and difficult. Also the field should preferably be demanding as well and also provide a decent pay in the future. I am thinking of getting into digital marketing as it is not too technical and it is in some sort of demand (at least more than law I think, correct me if I am wrong) and does pay a decent amount in the future once I have the experience. Well I think it is the most in demand IT job which IS NOT TOO TECHNICAL.

Do you have any advice or info for me in regards to anything I said?
    Tech aside, how creative are you? Digital marketing is a good area atm but tbh it's fast getting taken over by data science and machine learning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    Tech aside, how creative are you? Digital marketing is a good area atm but tbh it's fast getting taken over by data science and machine learning.
    It is a good area, but then again like i said before, there must a field in IT which is not too technical. Yes it is being taken over by data science and machine learning, but that stuff if really technical and too hard for me. My brother isn't very smart yet he is doing web development. Is that too technical>

And to answer your question, I am not THAT creative. The thing is, when they say choose something your good at and which you will love, I don't really like or 'love' anything to be honest. In school I've always liked maths and science, but that's cause GCSE was a piece of cake. So I don't really know if I am 'creative'? What can I do, I really want to get into IT because there so much opportunity there, but don't what field is right for me

ReputationRep:
    It is a good area, but then again like i said before, there must a field in IT which is not too technical. Yes it is being taken over by data science and machine learning, but that stuff if really technical and too hard for me. My brother isn't very smart yet he is doing web development. Is that too technical>

And to answer your question, I am not THAT creative. The thing is, when they say choose something your good at and which you will love, I don't really like or 'love' anything to be honest. In school I've always liked maths and science, but that's cause GCSE was a piece of cake. So I don't really know if I am 'creative'? What can I do, I really want to get into IT because there so much opportunity there, but don't what field is right for me
    The reason I ask is because you could look at something like HCI/UX, which is a multidisciplinary area that has varying levels of technical skill involved. Some people doing it aren't very technical but have a background in something like, say, psychology.

Another big emerging area particularly within the field of Cyber Security is Information Assurance. It's about understanding the law, ethics and technology to make sure businesses aren't exposing themselves or customers to risk from poorly managed data. With GDPR coming in, there is a real lack of expertise in this area in industry atm. Case in point as to the severity of GDPR: GDPR comes in in 2018. If it had been in place when TalkTalk had their data breach, TalkTalk coud've had a fine of £70 million. Based on the fact their net income is around £2 million a year, this could've potentially wiped the company out.

Neither area is super technical, or it allows for your to have a low level of technical understanding (more is better, but you can't be great at everything lol!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.