Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm in year 12 at the moment, currently studying History, Eng Lit and Maths A Level (decided not to do an extra AS, I studied Chemistry for a couple of months but really disliked the course and dropped it to focus more on the 3 subjects I really enjoy).

For Uni, I was originally looking at History and Politics, but I'm now considering just doing History, or History and English instead - whilst I enjoy learning about politics, I'm not certain about studying it at degree level in the same way I am about History. English has probably always been my strongest subject, and I do enjoy it (though I find History more interesting), which is why I am considering joint honours in it. To be honest, I think I'd enjoy either of the 3 courses, but that's just a bit of background stuff.

At GCSE, I got 6 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs - there are some extenuating circumstances related to these (younger brother hospitalised for emergency surgery for over a week whilst father out of the country, happened twice during the GCSE period, certainly didn't help stress levels!). I am hoping to get at least AAA prediction, I want A*AA because I feel I am capable but I go to a bit of a crappy school and I know they would be very, very, very reluctant to predict anyone an A* (which is bloody annoying when I know I could do it!).

I live in the South-East, and so far I have looked at Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, Warwick and LSE. Cambridge is possibly a long shot, but I would love to at least have a go if my AS grades and predicted grades are good enough - it just feels like the perfect place whenever I go there, but got to keep hopes in perspective! This cancels out Oxford, which was alright but not my favourite when I visited. LSE is just too bloody expensive, and I'm not that keen on a big city university. Surprisingly, I wasn't really that keen on Durham either, which annoyed me as it was a bloody expensive train ticket(!) and everything I'd seen beforehand made me thought I would really love it, but I just went there and it really didn't click well at all! Warwick, I really loved the campus feel and it's definitely somewhere I can picture enjoying going to!

With all this in mind, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for universities I could apply to for History/HisEng/HisPol, with a similar campus/small city/town vibe to Warwick/Cambridge, a good History department and not too far from the South-East if possible? (I'd prefer around 3-4 hour journey time max, but if there is something great outside of this I don't mind)

tl;dr campus/small area uni, good for History - suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham for sure is a good option for History or History and Politics- good History department and nice city

You could also look at York for a small city feel or Bristol which would only be for straight history.

These are all AAA offer courses, I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyTeaParties)
    Hi there,
    I'm in year 12 at the moment, currently studying History, Eng Lit and Maths A Level (decided not to do an extra AS, I studied Chemistry for a couple of months but really disliked the course and dropped it to focus more on the 3 subjects I really enjoy).

For Uni, I was originally looking at History and Politics, but I'm now considering just doing History, or History and English instead - whilst I enjoy learning about politics, I'm not certain about studying it at degree level in the same way I am about History. English has probably always been my strongest subject, and I do enjoy it (though I find History more interesting), which is why I am considering joint honours in it. To be honest, I think I'd enjoy either of the 3 courses, but that's just a bit of background stuff.

At GCSE, I got 6 A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs - there are some extenuating circumstances related to these (younger brother hospitalised for emergency surgery for over a week whilst father out of the country, happened twice during the GCSE period, certainly didn't help stress levels!). I am hoping to get at least AAA prediction, I want A*AA because I feel I am capable but I go to a bit of a crappy school and I know they would be very, very, very reluctant to predict anyone an A* (which is bloody annoying when I know I could do it!).

I live in the South-East, and so far I have looked at Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, Warwick and LSE. Cambridge is possibly a long shot, but I would love to at least have a go if my AS grades and predicted grades are good enough - it just feels like the perfect place whenever I go there, but got to keep hopes in perspective! This cancels out Oxford, which was alright but not my favourite when I visited. LSE is just too bloody expensive, and I'm not that keen on a big city university. Surprisingly, I wasn't really that keen on Durham either, which annoyed me as it was a bloody expensive train ticket(!) and everything I'd seen beforehand made me thought I would really love it, but I just went there and it really didn't click well at all! Warwick, I really loved the campus feel and it's definitely somewhere I can picture enjoying going to!

With all this in mind, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for universities I could apply to for History/HisEng/HisPol, with a similar campus/small city/town vibe to Warwick/Cambridge, a good History department and not too far from the South-East if possible? (I'd prefer around 3-4 hour journey time max, but if there is something great outside of this I don't mind)

I think you're going about this the wrong way. You need to decide on a subject first (history or history and English?), make a list of university options, research degree content/module options, refine that list and then go to open days. Writing off Durham (or anywhere for that matter) so soon just because it didn't click is, in my opinion, a mistake.

If you don't want to live in a big city then your options are slim. St Andrews and Royal Holloway are very good for history, then there's York, Warwick, UEA, Sussex, Bath and Exeter (which has a very small campus in Penryn, Cornwall).

ReputationRep:
    Have a think about Bristol, Leeds, Sussex (that's in Brighton), Nottingham. Check Exeter too (both history and English are on the Streatham campus which is the main one in Exeter).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyTeaParties)
    Hi there,

Is your school crappy enough for you to receive a contextual offer from unis which offer them, such as Bristol or Exeter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.