igot99problems
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm finding it very difficult to differentiate between all the top unis for computer science. If anyone goes to Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol (or other) please could you let me know: how practical the course is, whether it offers international work placements and how good the teaching/department is.

(I'm studying maths, f.maths, physics and econ but I'm planning on giving up f.maths - because 4 a levels just seems too much and I have an AS in f.maths already. My predicted grades are A*A*A*)
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by igot99problems)
I'm finding it very difficult to differentiate between all the top unis for computer science. If anyone goes to Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol (or other) please could you let me know: how practical the course is, whether it offers international work placements and how good the teaching/department is.

(I'm studying maths, f.maths, physics and econ but I'm planning on giving up f.maths - because 4 a levels just seems too much and I have an AS in f.maths already. My predicted grades are A*AA)
It's worth going over each other the unis and looking at what modules they have to offer, they're all going to be slightly different and if anything catches your attention then you should go for it. People can say that X uni was really good but you may not have the same experience as them, so it's really down to what about Computer Science that really interests you.
NecroKamios
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I just graduated Warwick BSc Computer Science and I'd say you learn what you need to learn there but it's a very heavily theory based course. If you are someone who learns better through practice I'd recommend look for a Uni that has higher emphasis on coursework assignments. Warwick was 70% exams for most modules and for the better majority, if you felt like you aced an exam... you got a 60....

Work placements are offered from banks for the best coursework assignments occasionally. International work placements? If you mean what I think you mean then no. Teaching varies from good to mediocre depending on what modules you pick and who teaches them.
Heriot-Watt University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Would you consider studying in Edinburgh, Scotland?

We offer a range of excellent Computer Science degrees at Heriot-Watt University.

https://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/students/cs/

You can choose to do an extra year working in industry and gain an extra qualification, a Diploma in Industrial Training.

We also have a campus in Dubai so you can study the exact same degree there for a semester, a year, or longer.

Our campus is set in acres of beautiful parkland but is just a 30 minute bus ride away from the amazing city of Edinburgh.

Holly
Heriot-Watt University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
P.S. We ask for A-Levels BBB including Mathematics for Year 1 entry. We only charge 3 years of tuition fees if you are from England (it's a 4 year degree in Scotland) and we also give you £1500 towards your living costs in Year 1.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads