Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it very difficult to differentiate between all the top unis for computer science. If anyone goes to Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol (or other) please could you let me know: how practical the course is, whether it offers international work placements and how good the teaching/department is.

(I'm studying maths, f.maths, physics and econ but I'm planning on giving up f.maths - because 4 a levels just seems too much and I have an AS in f.maths already. My predicted grades are A*AA)
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igot99problems)
    I'm finding it very difficult to differentiate between all the top unis for computer science. If anyone goes to Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol (or other) please could you let me know: how practical the course is, whether it offers international work placements and how good the teaching/department is.

(I'm studying maths, f.maths, physics and econ but I'm planning on giving up f.maths - because 4 a levels just seems too much and I have an AS in f.maths already. My predicted grades are A*AA)
    It's worth going over each other the unis and looking at what modules they have to offer, they're all going to be slightly different and if anything catches your attention then you should go for it. People can say that X uni was really good but you may not have the same experience as them, so it's really down to what about Computer Science that really interests you.

ReputationRep:
    I just graduated Warwick BSc Computer Science and I'd say you learn what you need to learn there but it's a very heavily theory based course. If you are someone who learns better through practice I'd recommend look for a Uni that has higher emphasis on coursework assignments. Warwick was 70% exams for most modules and for the better majority, if you felt like you aced an exam... you got a 60....

Work placements are offered from banks for the best coursework assignments occasionally. International work placements? If you mean what I think you mean then no. Teaching varies from good to mediocre depending on what modules you pick and who teaches them.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Would you consider studying in Edinburgh, Scotland?

We offer a range of excellent Computer Science degrees at Heriot-Watt University.

https://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/students/cs/

You can choose to do an extra year working in industry and gain an extra qualification, a Diploma in Industrial Training.

We also have a campus in Dubai so you can study the exact same degree there for a semester, a year, or longer.

Our campus is set in acres of beautiful parkland but is just a 30 minute bus ride away from the amazing city of Edinburgh.

Holly
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    P.S. We ask for A-Levels BBB including Mathematics for Year 1 entry. We only charge 3 years of tuition fees if you are from England (it's a 4 year degree in Scotland) and we also give you £1500 towards your living costs in Year 1.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.