The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds vs Manchester University?

Which uni is better for Chemical Engineering, and overall? In terms of prestige, graduate prospects, etc.
Reply 1
Can someone answer please??
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
There isn't much difference in prestige once you get below Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL and above the top 30 in my opinion. I would say Leeds and Manchester have the same overall reputation.

I would check out UNISTATS for figures on the percentage of students who are in further study/employment and average salaries. Be warned though - The sample sizes are often extremely low so not necessarily representative.

Both universities are excellent, basically.
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
There isn't much difference in prestige once you get below Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL and above the top 30 in my opinion. I would say Leeds and Manchester have the same overall reputation.

I would check out UNISTATS for figures on the percentage of students who are in further study/employment and average salaries. Be warned though - The sample sizes are often extremely low so not necessarily representative.

Both universities are excellent, basically.

Thanks for your reply. I firmed Leeds but say if I missed my offer, do you think they would consider me for foundation year? I'm also considering applying to Durham, and Bristol.
Original post by Sniper21
Thanks for your reply. I firmed Leeds but say if I missed my offer, do you think they would consider me for foundation year? I'm also considering applying to Durham, and Bristol.

If you think you are going to miss a standard offer from Leeds, check out their access scheme called "Access to Leeds". It's a scheme for people who meet certain criteria and if you are eligible, you can get a much-reduced offer (As much as two grades!)

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/128005/applying/33/alternative_admissions/2

EDIT: I just re-read your reply and see that you have firmed Leeds already (my bad!). I'm not sure if they will let you on the foundation year, as the foundation year for Leeds requires certain entry criteria:

Your permanent address is in a neighbourhood with low progression to higher education.

You attended a school which achieved less than the national average of 5 A*-C passes at GCSE.

You grew up in public care.

Best thing to do is contact admissions tomorrow morning, or do it on the day of results day if you get rejected (Hope you don't).

I didn't apply to Bristol, but I did apply to Durham. Personally, I didn't like Durham all too much - They gave me an offer, but I turned it down because the collegiate system seemed too superficial to me - A poor Oxbridge clone in my opinion. But regardless, Durham has a great reputation and so does Bristol.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
If you think you are going to miss a standard offer from Leeds, check out their access scheme called "Access to Leeds". It's a scheme for people who meet certain criteria and if you are eligible, you can get a much-reduced offer (As much as two grades!)

EDIT: I just re-read your reply and see that you have firmed Leeds already (my bad!). I'm not sure if they will let you on the foundation year, as the foundation year for Leeds requires certain entry criteria:

Your permanent address is in a neighbourhood with low progression to higher education.

You attended a school which achieved less than the national average of 5 A*-C passes at GCSE.

Best thing to do is contact admissions tomorrow morning, or do it on the day of results day if you get rejected (Hope you don't).

I didn't apply to Bristol, but I did apply to Durham. Personally, I didn't like Durham all too much - They gave me an offer, but I turned it down because the collegiate system seemed too superficial to me - A poor Oxbridge clone in my opinion. But regardless, Durham has a great reputation and so does Bristol.

Sorry for late reply. I've contacted them before, and they said that the chances of getting in if you miss your offer is very slim. However, if lots of people miss their offers, then they'll let some AAB people in. If no one misses their offers, then its unlikely. They may be a bit more lenient this year. What did you apply for btw?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6

Thanks for your advice! Did you apply to Leeds or Manchester by any chance?
Original post by Sniper21
Thanks for your advice! Did you apply to Leeds or Manchester by any chance?

I applied to Durham, Nottingham, Sheffield, KCL and Salford. I got offers from all 5 but ended up firming Nottingham. This is for Computer Science :smile:
Manchester
Reply 9
Over the last 15 years or so, Manchester has slowly caught up then overtaken Leeds in ChemEng, and the particular Leeds/Manc engineering rivalry that led to the engineering departments getting a massive % of the half billion pound spend that is currently going on. Renovations started about 18 months ago and will continue for a couple of years. I'm not sure whether they've got to ChemEng yet, but I imagine they would by the end of any degree

Quick Reply