The Student Room Group

Coming out as trans?

Not 100% on where to put this but this seems like a solid bet.

I'm a trans guy moving far away from home for Uni, on the plus side it means a new start but on the downside I've got to come out all over again (I'm not on hormones and I only just pass as a cis guy).

Does anyone have any experiences with this or can offer some advice? I'm genuinly considering making a t-shirt with "I'm a guy" on the front just to avoid misgendering and the inevitable awkward correction.
Original post by Henryies

I'm a trans guy moving far away from home for Uni, on the plus side it means a new start but on the downside I've got to come out all over again (I'm not on hormones and I only just pass as a cis guy).

Does anyone have any experiences with this or can offer some advice? I'm genuinly considering making a t-shirt with "I'm a guy" on the front just to avoid misgendering and the inevitable awkward correction.

If you're quite clearly masculine acting, I think a lot of people will clock onto the fact you're trans. Perhaps sign up for the counselling service at your uni so you can get help and advice with dealing with people who aren't perhaps so familiar.

How confident are you currently with your identity? If you were mistaken for another gender, how would it affect you?
Reply 3
Original post by jambojim97
If you're quite clearly masculine acting, I think a lot of people will clock onto the fact you're trans. Perhaps sign up for the counselling service at your uni so you can get help and advice with dealing with people who aren't perhaps so familiar.

I've already got some migration(?) thing going from my college's student services to my chosen Uni's student services so I've got that safety net already, and I'm just really hoping I'm masculine enough

Original post by Reality Check
How confident are you currently with your identity? If you were mistaken for another gender, how would it affect you?

Fairly confident but being mistaken for another gender always hurts a bit honestly.

Fairly confident but being mistaken for another gender always hurts a bit honestly.

I'm sure you're realistic about this. And you know you're not going to pass 100% of the time. Being honest and ready to deal with negative reactions and opinions is, I think, an important strategy.
(I'm also a trans guy planning on being fully out when I go to uni)

I wouldn't make a shirt saying that you're a guy on it, personally. I feel like people will use it as an excuse to ask you awkward questions and stuff. Just act like you're a guy and you expect everyone else to believe it, that's what I do! Eg use the guy's toilets. Also correct everyone if they get your gender wrong, even though it's really scary to do that in my experience.
Reply 6
I don't know if this is at all helpful, but I'm female and do from time to time get mistaken for a bloke. To the extent of being asked to leave female toilets or having two small children arguing openly in front of me which I might be. So, just to say that being mistaken for the "wrong" gender is not just a sign that you have "failed" as a trans person.

Good luck in your new uni!
Reply 7

that could actually be a very good idea! it'd be an ice breaker and would remove any awkwardness people would feel for fear of saying the wrong thing! it would also mean they'd know straight away and you wouldn;t have to deal with how you're going to slip it in the conversation! it depends how comfortable you are talking about things though, because people are naturally curious and we still honestly don't know much about transgender people and they may say the wrong thing unintentionally. you have to prepare yourself for that and try not to let it upset you.

definitely head to the LGBT society, but don't limit yourself to them!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply