Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys I have got a problem question on Law of Trusts with which I am struggling. Can someone give me some guidelines, please? I would really appreciated it!

Six months ago, while ill in hospital, Charlotte gave Benedict, her godson, the keys to her house, ‘No. 1 Old Buildings’, and said ‘take these, I want you to have my house when I am gone’. Charlotte recovered briefly from her illness but died last week. Her will contains the following provisions:

“To my cousins Stewie and Luke I leave the following

a) £50,000 in the expectation they will support any such of my old friends, who may have fallen on hard times or be in need, as they see fit;

• b) £500,000, to be invested so that a reasonable income can paid to my sister, Meg, for the rest of her life and thereafter the remainder can be be distributed equally between my grandchildren Pippa and Polly when they reach the age of 21

• c) The residue of my estate, which is to be used for the benefit of abandoned animals in Hull.”

Stewie and Luke believe all of Charlotte’s old friends pre-deceased her therefore plan to split the £50,000 between themselves (Stewie wants to buy some shares, Luke wants to buy a car). They do not know how to invest the £500,000 and are worried about their possible liabilities to Meg (currently aged 65) and Charlotte’s grandchildren, Pippa and Polly (currently aged three and five, respectively). Finally, they do not know how to distribute the residue or whether “No 1 Old Buildings” is part of the residue.

Advise Stewie and Luke.

ReputationRep:
    You're being asked about a gift made in contemplation of death (Vallee v Birchwood is a relevant case), and the second part is about the three certainties (too many cases to name, but Langdale MR's speech in Knight v Knight is the foundation).

This is a simple question, and it would be unfair if I said more. If you're struggling with trusts, this wiki article is excellent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    You're being asked about a gift made in contemplation of death (Vallee v Birchwood is a relevant case), and the second part is about the three certainties (too many cases to name, but Langdale MR's speech in Knight v Knight is the foundation).

This is a simple question, and it would be unfair if I said more. If you're struggling with trusts, this wiki article is excellent.
    Thank you for replying me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.