Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I need to declare one bad A-Level grade on a CV? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I'm getting my A-Levels results on the 17th of August, and I screwed up really bad because of nerves in my fifth A-Level and I not expecting anything above a D. I am however expecting As at least in the other 4.

I'm a little worried about when I go to apply for internships during my second year at university. Will I be able to just state the four that I get good grades in, or do I have to declare the bad grade?

ReputationRep:
    i think just include the grades for subjects related to your internships

ReputationRep:
    There's no requirement to declare every grade you have, only the ones which are relevant. If the A-levels you did well in are relevant to the internship then even if you did declare the one you did less well in then they should out-shine the others.

ReputationRep:
    1) Whilst it may be seen as a bit weird if you don't, you can do it, so long as the subjects that you're trying to leave out, are not subjects that are needed and/or relevant to the course of your choice.

ReputationRep:
    'Your fifth A level'...?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Forget AS Level grades on your CV if you're applying to an internship at university level tbh. Then just include the relevant A-Level grades, they'll be more concerned with your progress at uni at that stage.

ReputationRep:
    You did 5 A levels?! Which subjects did you do?
    Genuinely curious lel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiernanW)
    Hey!

I'm getting my A-Levels results on the 17th of August, and I screwed up really bad because of nerves in my fifth A-Level and I not expecting anything above a D. I am however expecting As at least in the other 4.

I'm a little worried about when I go to apply for internships during my second year at university. Will I be able to just state the four that I get good grades in, or do I have to declare the bad grade?
    The forms I've seen require all GCSE and A level grades but they will be more interested in your first year uni marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    1) Whilst it may be seen as a bit weird if you don't, you can do it, so long as the subjects that you're trying to leave out, are not subjects that are needed and/or relevant to the course of your choice.
    (Original post by Batgirl98)
    You did 5 A levels?! Which subjects did you do?
    Genuinely curious lel
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology and Software Systems Development.

(Original post by Reality Check)
    'Your fifth A level'...?
    Yes, the fifth was Further Maths and I guess in a way that is relevant to Software Engineering, but the internship descriptions never seem to mention high school or A-Levels. I'm afraid of raising concern because I've had my eyes set on these particular internships (Google, Microsoft, etc) as a goal that I've worked towards. The work went in and I messed up on the day. I know you can't say to an employer "it was nerves" because anyone could say that.

What is the general advice? Should I declare it or not?

ReputationRep:

Yes, the fifth was Further Maths and I guess in a way that is relevant to Software Engineering, but the internship descriptions never seem to mention high school or A-Levels. I'm afraid of raising concern because I've had my eyes set on these particular internships (Google, Microsoft, etc) as a goal that I've worked towards. The work went in and I messed up on the day. I know you can't say to an employer "it was nerves" because anyone could say that.

General advice - it has to be declared. If it's declared, it doesn't trip you up later. Lying by omission is considered to be a serious issue. If they're asking for your A level results, then you need to be complete and mention all of them, not a selection. If, of course, they don't ask for A level results, then you don't need to declare anything. But it's either full disclosure or none at all - not a halfway house, because that is being deceitful.

ReputationRep:

Cool, sounds like pretty intense subjects though - well done for potentially getting As in the others
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Read the job application carefully. Some will explictly ask you to provide all qualifications, some (especially in they are more informal opportunities) may not.

But generally I would declare it - one dodgy grade against four strong ones isn't going to have an impact. Most internships will only care about your best three A-level grades anyway (have to take this approach, as not everyone is fortunate to be able to take 4 or 5!)

ReputationRep:
    I dont know about internships (possibly different criteria) but I have never been told to put grades on a CV. Subject and level is all I have and that includes my recent higher in social science which has all 20 modules listed but none are graded

ReputationRep:
    Applications are typically set out in one of two ways.

First way - they ask you to upload your C.V. I don't believe you are obliged to put every grade you've achieved on your C.V. Its really up to you what you put on there.

Second way - they have you fill in an online application form asking for your complete results which typically would include A-Level results if its a second year internship. In that case, you should submit all results.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.