Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Bit of a long post. I'm currently 29 and returned from a lengthy time of globe trotting to study towards a career in Optometry. In 2014 I started from the very bottom by retaking Level 2 Math & English, then GCSE Math, English and Science. I then completed the Access to HE Science Level 3 and applied for Optometry which mainly requested 30x Distinctions and the rest Merits. Anyway, I received 27x Distinctions and the rest Merit and was declined by 2 of the 5 universities who provided me offers. Not deterred I am currently onto the 2nd year of a Foundation Degree in Applied Medical Sciences so I will be applying this year.

What are they chances of being accepted into the 4 choices of Universities a 2nd time around. One of the universities who I originally applied to declined my application for 2018 due to not meeting requirements the 1st time around.... Has any other mature students got a similar story?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by FayeFuzz)
    Hey. Bit of a long post. I'm currently 29 and returned from a lengthy time of globe trotting to study towards a career in Optometry. In 2014 I started from the very bottom by retaking Level 2 Math & English, then GCSE Math, English and Science. I then completed the Access to HE Science Level 3 and applied for Optometry which mainly requested 30x Distinctions and the rest Merits. Anyway, I received 27x Distinctions and the rest Merit and was declined by 2 of the 5 universities who provided me offers. Not deterred I am currently onto the 2nd year of a Foundation Degree in Applied Medical Sciences so I will be applying this year.

What are they chances of being accepted into the 4 choices of Universities a 2nd time around. One of the universities who I originally applied to declined my application for 2018 due to not meeting requirements the 1st time around.... Has any other mature students got a similar story?
    Seems a bit dd as we wouldnt know which universities or their entry requirements.

We also dont know how well you have done on the foundation degree?

If you have already made an application then you should have a good idea whether you meet their entrance requirements? If you do then its down to personal statement plus any interview. It would have made sense to make enquiries before applying to check with them how they regard your unusual position.

Hopefully you have done well on the foundation which should improve your overall application.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

thank you for your reply. I have checked with all universities and that is how I have narrowed down my list who to apply to. I have done well on my foundation so far and have met requirements. Following being declined by a few universities due to the fact of applying before and they don't accept 2nd applications, I was wondering wether this would apply for all? or do universities accept people who haven't met requirements before?

ReputationRep:
    You really need to be more dogged with your applications, you failed to be accepted to any Universities on the initial application? So did I.

Clearing is very easy for mature students, just email all potential Universities about entering clearing and enquiring about places, I managed to get 4 acceptances on clearing after being rejected initially.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.