Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Job vs studying dilemma Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have spent the past four years as an apprentice plumber and I have just finished my time. I am now a qualified level 3 plumber and gas engineer I do enjoy it. While working in this construction industry I have been thinking about doing a part time university course while working my current job but reducing the hours. I am looking to become a quantity surveyor by starting a 5 year long sustainable construction and survaying degree one day a week. I'm just after some advice on what people think I should do.
    My options are :
    Continue as a gas engineer and stay in that line of work and have more money but in 20 years have bard knees and legs.
    Work 4 days a week as a gas engineer and one day a week at uni for 5 years get less money but more in the future and be in a less physical environment.
    Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I think you should go for the second option because you've been considering university and you don't want to regret not going in the next year or so. And staying in the same line of work can be unpredictable, if you go to uni you'll be widening your job opportunities for the future.
    I hope this helps 👍

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.