The Student Room Group

Should I apply for medicine

Hi!
I'm in grade 12 in a french school and I really want to go to the UK after high school. I'm hesitating between economics and medicine. I like economics less but it increases my chances of being accepted in a university of my choice.
I find medicine, physics and biology a lot more interesting, but the fact that I have to sit the BMAT scares me a little. It would require a lot of preparation and time, which I don't have. Besides I have no idea what British people study in high school, our systems are quite different and I don't know how to prepare. So choosing medicine would very much decrease my chances of going to a British university, especially considering the fact that I'm an international student.Do you think I should take the risk and apply for medicine? If so, can anyone give me advice and tell me what and how I should prepare for the BMAT?
Thanks a lot!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Rita21
Hi!
I'm in grade 12 in a french school and I really want to go to the UK after high school. I'm hesitating between economics and medicine. I like economics less but it increases my chances of being accepted in a university of my choice.
I find medicine, physics and biology a lot more interesting, but the fact that I have to sit the BMAT scares me a little. It would require a lot of preparation and time, which I don't have. Besides I have no idea what British people study in high school, our systems are quite different and I don't know how to prepare. So choosing medicine would very much decrease my chances of going to a British university, especially considering the fact that I'm an international student.Do you think I should take the risk and apply for medicine? If so, can anyone give me advice and tell me what and how I should prepare for the BMAT?
Thanks a lot!

Apply to a university because you like the course, maybe don't prioritise the other way round.

The BMAT isn't too bad with about a month preparation but depends on your own abilities obviously and I would suggest looking at how your qualifications match to the entry requirements at the universities that you want to apply to that offer medicine.

In terms of syllabus to cover for the BMAT, maybe have a read of this? As far as I know, the BMAT covers a little above the UK GCSE syllabus.

If you prepare well enough, it wouldn't be a risk at all :smile:

Have you spoken to your school to see if you can get any advice from students that have done the same and gone to the UK?

Above all though, do some work experience to see if you like medicine. You might find it horrific and not want to study it, in which case, decision for economics made!

Bonne chance !
(edited 6 years ago)
thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending