Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

As I see in the uni official website, PhD applications (for engineering in this case) are not open, except the ones with some studentships. I contacted a prof at Oxford and told him about the issue but he told me he can make admission team open the position for me so I can apply without having to wait for the next year. Btw, I do not need any funding scheme or studentship from Oxford as I will be sponsored by some external scheme. So I was wondering if that's possible for a prof to make admission office open the position ? What do you guys think? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heisenmech)
    Hi everyone!

As I see in the uni official website, PhD applications (for engineering in this case) are not open, except the ones with some studentships. I contacted a prof at Oxford and told him about the issue but he told me he can make admission team open the position for me so I can apply without having to wait for the next year. Btw, I do not need any funding scheme or studentship from Oxford as I will be sponsored by some external scheme. So I was wondering if that's possible for a prof to make admission office open the position ? What do you guys think? Cheers.
    If he told you it was possible, then I imagine it is possible.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

It's entirely up to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers. Up to the prof or admission team?
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    It's entirely up to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford doesn't award PhDs - it's a DPhil.

I have no reason to doubt what you were told, but can't confirm it either. Good luck.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers. Up to the prof or admission team?
    It's up to the department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Oxford doesn't award PhDs - it's a DPhil.

I have no reason to doubt what you were told, but can't confirm it either. Good luck.
    oh yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    It's up to the department.
    Alright thanks for the info.

ReputationRep:
    Do I detect a humblebrag?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worldender)
    Do I detect a humblebrag?
    No. Why?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

If a member of the academia finds a researcher who is 1. serious about his studies/ research area and 2. has the requisite funding and the 3. academic requirements which, for Oxford, has to be exceptional, this Prof can approach the admissions team. I am sure you know this anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.