Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First day at the job and I got attacked Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is the wrong bit but today I started a job after my GSCE's working in retail at Primark. I was chuffed to get the job but after being left on my own on the till one of my early customers swore and was rude at me when I made an error forgetting to give his change but worse later a boy came running in and threw an egg at me which hit me on the chest and he was laughing and worse what looked like his mum was with him encouraging him and laughing as well before running off. My line manager took me upstairs to try calm me down and they did put a description over the radio but I dont know if he was caught I came home crying my parents are saying I need to call the police again I really dont wanna go back is this how it always is working in town.

ReputationRep:
    Is this in London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    Is this in London?
    no bedford

ReputationRep:
    This, unfortunately is what occurs regularly when you work in retail. For some reason people think that just because they are spending a few quid they are entitled to do whatever they want as the customer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apeshit007)
    What size were the eggs? small medium or large?
    does it matter fool

ReputationRep:
    I've worked in retail for a year now and, like you, I hated it to begin with. But, honestly, you'll get used to it. The incident involving the error with the change is the most common thing ever when starting out on tills, so you shouldn't really worry about that. As for the egg guy, honestly the embarrassment is on him and not you because you have to be a real degenerate weirdo to walk into a store and egg someone as your mum eggs (sorry if the pun is inappropriate) you on. Trust me, working in retail will seriously improve your patience and temper with people! Good luck in your job in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illmatics)
    I've worked in retail for a year now and, like you, I hated it to begin with. But, honestly, you'll get used to it. The incident involving the error with the change is the most common thing ever when starting out on tills, so you shouldn't really worry about that. As for the egg guy, honestly the embarrassment is on him and not you because you have to be a real degenerate weirdo to walk into a store and egg someone as your mum eggs (sorry if the pun is inappropriate) you on. Trust me, working in retail will seriously improve your patience and temper with people! Good luck in your job in future.
    he looked no more than 10 or 11 years old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amiee Spear)
    does it matter fool
    JEEZ CALM DOWN, you got egged but I just wanted to know how big the eggs were. You could have kept the eggshells as evidence

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is the wrong bit but today I started a job after my GSCE's working in retail at Primark. I was chuffed to get the job but after being left on my own on the till one of my early customers swore and was rude at me when I made an error forgetting to give his change but worse later a boy came running in and threw an egg at me which hit me on the chest and he was laughing and worse what looked like his mum was with him encouraging him and laughing as well before running off. My line manager took me upstairs to try calm me down and they did put a description over the radio but I dont know if he was caught I came home crying my parents are saying I need to call the police again I really dont wanna go back is this how it always is working in town.

woah! What the hell! That is well out of order. Im so sorry you had to go through that. Jobs these days are really hard to get and finding the perfect job is even harder. I worked for a call centre and i got sworn at literally everyday and people got angry etc. All i can say, form my experience is just forget about work once your shifts are over. I say go back for another day and prove to yourself u can do this and if it does get worse then you might just have to get another job i guess . But i think, once you get used to it youll be fine. Dont let this incident stop u from working. Cant believe they threw an egg tho. Hope they catch the fool and give him a warning.

Whatever happens, i wish you all the best

ReputationRep:
    cuz parents cant control there kids now the schools have broke up i was walking through town earlier and i nearly got ran down by a boy on a scooter who stuck his middle finger up at me
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thread moved to 'Advice on Everyday Issues'

Im sorry this happened to you, especially on your first day!

I'd just ignore the rude customer - had them all the time when i worked in a Train Station cafe. On the kid throwing an egg at you, its horrible but just have to move on. Not everyday will be like this - promise!

ReputationRep:
    really not normal... you get some oddballs and horrible people and it's not uncommon to be yelled at but the egg thing really isn't normal. I had a customer grab me over the counter and try and kiss me once, it was really horrible and shook me up a lot. But it was an isolated incident. Try and stick it out at the job, most shifts won't be like this.

ReputationRep:
    Animals breed animals. Society today. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I worked in retail for two years. The diets incident is common. Theres always going to be rude customers taking out their anger at the staff, that is uncommon but you have to grow a thick skin and get used to it. Real life has lots of mean people. University/College has lots of them.

Now the second is not common, the egg attack, what I call an assault is not at all. You should report that to the police, talk to a lawyer and get compensation from Primark and take extra days of holiday to let you calm down. Honestly things like that should never happens, staff should never be assaulted. Tell the police asap.

Let me be totally honest, retail shops don't really care at all about their staff. Staff are the bottom of the food chain. So they want to keep this egg assault under wraps, don't. Call the police. Who knows how many other poor girls have fallen victim to this.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to find horrible people in all walks of life, I've had 2 jobs in retail and one in the food/beverage industry and met really rude, disrespectful people during my time in all of them

ReputationRep:
    Thats so horrible, people think they can treat people the way they want these days. I hope you're okay though.

ReputationRep:
    There are two ways,,,, 1) wear black spandex and lurk in the dark and try to fix the wrong in society and good luck ~ because you'll need more than nine lives
    2) join the dark side with have cookies ... well pudding for meh ~ xd

// Well dealing with people can be really tough... going back there will eventually grow you a thick skin. Luckily not everyone is like that but it 's true that one feels quite 'vulnerable' doing those types of jobs... Please don't change too much~

ReputationRep:
    As a seasoned retail worker I can say that incidents involving egg throwing or physical violence are relatively rare and you should definitely consider police action as it is legally an assault. Sadly dealing with verbally abusive and rude customers is a more regular occurrence in retail and there isn't a lot you can do about it except realise that is isn't personal, it's just crappy people who don't know how to regulate their emotions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    If I was you I would’ve opened the cash register, taken out the pennies and thrown them at the kid calling his mum and poor ugly b*tch, screw losing your job, If he was brown/Arab i would’ve said as it came towards me I thought the egg was a bomb since he shouted terrorist phrases which meant I had to disable him for public safety. Should’ve jumped over the counter and placed him under citizens arrest!
    stfu man ur just like all of them shi*ts who place a name on arabs and brown ppl as terrorists... i'm f*ucking fed up of this **** man .. only a hating bigot like u have views like that

ReputationRep:
    No that is not supposed to happen... you should report it to the police, they can look on the security camera's and find who did it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.