Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi i'm in year 10 going to 11 on September. I've always wondered this. For example when ever you find out or see medical students ... do you like view them as clever, cool and well respected by others... especially when they wear the white coats? or does every one view each other the same... no matter what the course? thank u

ReputationRep:
    They're probably viewed as geeks ngl.
    At least by the dumb humanity students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackPink24)
    especially when they wear the white coats?
    Medical students and doctors in the UK never wear white coats, that's just for American TV dramas. They wear smart, presentable clothes instead.

ReputationRep:
    Physicians and Surgeons had to stop wearing the white coat for years now, on the grounds of "infection control". If you really want to be a medical doctor and wear a lab coat, be a pathologist

Why anyone would think people will give them extra respect for wearing a lab coat is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    I think 'cliquey' is the main stereotype for medics. Which is, y'know, kinda true.

(Original post by Glassapple)
    Medical students and doctors in the UK never wear white coats, that's just for American TV dramas. They wear smart, presentable clothes instead.
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Physicians and Surgeons had to stop wearing the white coat for years now, on the grounds of "infection control". If you really want to be a medical doctor and wear a lab coat, be a pathologist

Why anyone would think people will give them extra respect for wearing a lab coat is beyond me.
    We were required to buy a white lab coat before first year med school and used them quite extensively.

For labs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I think 'cliquey' is the main stereotype for medics. Which is, y'know, kinda true.

We were required to buy a white lab coat before first year med school and used them quite extensively.

For labs.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear - I meant during the practice of medicine in a clinical environment.

ReputationRep:
    We were required to buy a white lab coat before first year med school and used them quite extensively. For labs.
    Presumably you don't wear them in front of students doing other courses (as you'd be in the lab so nobody else could see them), and you don't wear them in hospitals. That was the point I was making,

ReputationRep:
    Presumably you don't wear them in front of students doing other courses...
    If we're talking about what they wear in front of other students i think the coverage on that "smart, presentable clothing" might be a little patchy too :p:

ReputationRep:
    hi i'm in year 10 going to 11 on September. I've always wondered this. For example when ever you find out or see medical students ... do you like view them as clever, cool and well respected by others... especially when they wear the white coats? or does every one view each other the same... no matter what the course? thank u
    No, when I see medics at uni wearing those lab coats they remind me of those horrible second hand ones we had to wear in GCSE science at school before we proceeded to burn Wotsits on the bunsen burners.

ReputationRep:
    If we're talking about what they wear in front of other students i think the coverage on that "smart, presentable clothing" might be a little patchy too :p:
    Again, obviously I was referring to being in a clinical environment. I'm sure medical students aren't wearing smart clothes 24/7, and I'm sure Mrs. Jones wouldn't take a doctor seriously who showed up to a hospital in a tank top and a mini skirt...

ReputationRep:
    Presumably you don't wear them in front of students doing other courses (as you'd be in the lab so nobody else could see them), and you don't wear them in hospitals. That was the point I was making,
    Usually you have lectures in different buildings, so you might be doing Geography but have lectures in the Chemistry building, so when you go to your lectures you would see students wearing the lab coats walking around the halls while you waited for your lecture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Usually you have lectures in different buildings, so you might be doing Geography but have lectures in the Chemistry building, so when you go to your lectures you would see students wearing the lab coats walking around the halls while you waited for your lecture.
    I mean, i don't think i saw many students wear their coats outside the lab itself. But maybe.

I did not intend to derail this thread so much.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, i don't think i saw many students wear their coats outside the lab itself. But maybe.

I did not intend to derail this thread so much.
    I know that I did in my experience. During my undergrad in first year, I used to think they were doctors/professors doing important work walking down the halls looking all important and that, but then I found out they were undergrads like myself at the time :P

ReputationRep:
    There are stereotypes about every degree - engineering, history of art, maths, medicine etc.

My med school was on a separate campus to the rest of the uni, so I think very few of the non-medics actually ever met us. I'm sure most of them didn't have any specific opinions about us one way or another and even if they did I'm not sure it would have mattered

The only time we ever wore white coats was in the anatomy lab.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.