The Student Room Group

Long Journey Boredom Busters!

Good evening folks! :wavey:

Now is the time that the lucky ones amongst us may go on holiday and try to catch those rays :mmm: However this often involves a long journey on a plane, in a car, on a boat hitch-hiking or even a train! :eek4:
In order to alleviate some of the boredom that may possibly arise whilst on your journey I thought, why not collate some fun things to do whilst you're on your way in this very thread?

You have the standard ones such as:
- Listening to music
- Watching films (by various means now :indiff: )
- Browsing the interwebs
- Eye-spy :yawn:
- Reading :lolwut:
- Singing really badly to rubbishy radio songs
- Card games
- :bebored:
- staring out the window and falling asleep over time...

But if you're like me and whom get bored of music after a while, hate what is on the radio, don't have a good internet-enabled device and who's siblings get fed up of eye-spy and card games after an hour, here are some alternatives :ahee:

A couple I have come up with just now:
- Yellow car game [obviously if you're on the road]. Every time you see a yellow car either punch the others in the car or you win [a sweet ( I did it with Percy pigs :mmm: ) or something]
- Number plate game. Every time you see a number plate with 2 or more of the same digits repeated adjacent to each other e.g: 99, II, LL, LLL, 888 etc., you win a sweet/punch the others [ :ditto: above ]
- Everlasting story. Go round each saying one word to add to form a story. The story ends when you get bored basically :rofl2:
- Consequences (PICTURE) Get a piece of paper. Take it in turns to draw parts of a person. Split it into head (to the neck), torso (to waist), legs (to ankles) and then feet.
Each person draws one part, folds over the paper so the others can't see it. Then the next person adds their part on and covers it until the drawing is complete. The overall result is hilariously disturbing. Enjoy :h:
- Consequences (WORDS) See this link on how to play :smile: Use the same principle with the paper :wink:
- 20 Questions. Set a theme. Can be anything : famous people, films, film characters, food, novels - anything! One person thinks of something and you've 20 questions to guess what it is they are thinking! The thinker can only answer then with yes or no.

Share yours! What do you like to do to alleviate boredom?

I will add some more as I discover them as posts below :yay:

Happy holidays folks and Bon Voyage if you are travelling! :woo:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The yellow car game used to get messy when we had a yellow car :rofl: The consequences ones sound perfect for journeys though, and 20 questions! Eye spy used to always end in arguing because people in the car would pick something really awkward and not know how it was spelled, making it impossible to guess :grumble:
The best to occupy kids is the motorway classic of see if you can spot a washing line.

Occupies them for hours.

Who lives next to a motorway? Nobody for most of it. And even in built-up areas, you cannot see a washing line.:giggle:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
The yellow car game used to get messy when we had a yellow car :rofl:
Cheese on wheels I believe is the official title.:smug:
:beard: ooh that's a pretty savage game idea :mmm:

Original post by 04MR17
The best to occupy kids is the motorway classic of see if you can spot a washing line.

Occupies them for hours.

Who lives next to a motorway? Nobody for most of it. And even in built-up areas, you cannot see a washing line.:giggle:

There was one game me and my brother were playing which occupied us the whole time. "Spot the Jaguar" (the car :colonhash:).
We were stuck in traffic in Birmingham and determined to spot more than the other.
With a grand total of 3, I beat him (he got 1 :colone: )
Listening to music is my prefered option. I used to read but it makes me sick when travelling.:puke:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
The yellow car game used to get messy when we had a yellow car :rofl: The consequences ones sound perfect for journeys though, and 20 questions! Eye spy used to always end in arguing because people in the car would pick something really awkward and not know how it was spelled, making it impossible to guess :grumble:

The controversy on the journey to Dorset was whether Mustardy yellow/orange counted :colonhash:
or if you saw a yellow lorry :colonhash:
I always lost :facepalm:

xD haha! My Dad is too good at eye spy. Makes no sense either because he is as blind as a bat :sadnod:

Original post by 04MR17
Cheese on wheels I believe is the official title.:smug:

:hide: n0es
Original post by 04MR17
Listening to music is my preferred option. I used to read but it makes me sick when travelling.:puke:

I listen to music or audiobooks until bored.
I can't look at my phone screen or read or write for long, otherwise :s-smilie:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
:beard: ooh that's a pretty savage game idea :mmm:

There was one game me and my brother were playing which occupied us the whole time. "Spot the Jaguar" (the car :colonhash:).
We were stuck in traffic in Birmingham and determined to spot more than the other.
With a grand total of 3, I beat him (he got 1 :colone: )
The other (cheap) and savage way to occupy kids is racing raindrops down the window. Ideal for British weather and particularly effective on the french windows at home.

Spot the jag would be easy for me.:u: I can just look out the window. Next door's got one.
[scroll]:smug:[/scroll]
Original post by 04MR17
The other (cheap) and savage way to occupy kids is racing raindrops down the window. Ideal for British weather and particularly effective on the french windows at home.

Spot the jag would be easy for me.:u: I can just look out the window. Next door's got one.
[scroll]:smug:[/scroll]

ooh that is actually quite good :rofl2:
it's a travel game :colonhash:

It's a travel game :colonhash:

Spoiler

ooh that is actually quite good :rofl2:
it's a travel game :colonhash:

It's a travel game :colonhash:

Spoiler

I know. Get you posting in the Travel forum. Branching out I see.....

:proud:

xD
What's the longest journey you've ever been on? :beard: Did you just listen to music for the whole of it? :erm:
Original post by 04MR17
I know. Get you posting in the Travel forum. Branching out I see.....

:proud:

xD
What's the longest journey you've ever been on? :beard: Did you just listen to music for the whole of it? :erm:
24 hour coach trip.

Nope, there was a lot of films, mostly stand up comedy DVDs
Original post by 04MR17
24 hour coach trip.

Nope, there was a lot of films, mostly stand up comedy DVDs

24 hour :eek4:
Yeah same with Germany. lots of Pringles too :colone:
We watched How to train your dragon :colonhash:
ffs :colonhash:

at least we weren't in the Disney coach :toofunny: xD
24 hour :eek4:
Yeah same with Germany. lots of Pringles too :colone:
We watched How to train your dragon :colonhash:
ffs :colonhash:

at least we weren't in the Disney coach :toofunny: xD
I've done 4, 24 hour trips. Two with a smashed window.

It was when I went skiing in Austria with school (once in year 8, once in year 10)
and there's more :ahee:
-Hangman. If you don't know how to play hangman, you've not done secondary school right :nope:
- Noughts and crosses :ditto:
- 'Stop the bus' (for 2 or more people). Decide on 5 categories e.g: food, animals, countries, girls' names and boys' names and write these down.
One player thinks of a letter of the alphabet and says this aloud.
Everyone then tries to write something beginning with that letter in each of the categories.
The first person to write something for all 5 categories says 'stop the bus' and everyone stops writing.
Add up your score. Each answer is worth 2 points but if anyone has the same as another person they only get 1 point for it. The player who says 'stop the bus' gets 2 bonus points.
Take turns choosing the letter. After 6 rounds, add up the final score. The winner is the person with the most points :smile:
- First to 50. Choose something to count. First to 50 of it wins!
- First to 25. Choose something v obscure. First to 25 wins!
- In my backpack... (for 2 or more people)
Someone begins with 'in my backpack' followed by an object.
The next person repeats this and adds on another object and the game goes on like this.
If someone says the list in the wrong order or forgets something, they're out of the game.
The winner is the last one standing :woo:
- Guess the word - someone writes a word on the palm of someone's hand or their back [whichever is easiest]. The other tries to guess it!
- Would you rather
- Wed, bed or dead.
Someone gives a list of 3 people and then the others have to choose which they'd wed, kill or bed :giggle:
- Pink toads xD
Someone asks a question and the recipent has to answer 'pink toads'.
If you laugh you're out of the game.
The winner is the last one standing!
- Just a second - a rip off of just a minute :mmm:
With scraps of paper, each person writes down a subject to speak about and folds it in 2. The scraps are jumbled together and someone takes one and unfolds it. They have to talk about this for 30 seconds without hesitating, deviating or repeating words :mmm:

Original post by 04MR17
I've done 4, 24 hour trips. Two with a smashed window.

It was when I went skiing in Austria with school (once in year 8, once in year 10)

wow :gasp:
omg you've been skiing!
I can't recall how long the journeys were for school trips in the past :erm:
Germany was particularly long because we were stuck at Dover for ages :indiff: and we had v few breaks.
you should take up knitting cheese :h:
I tried and failed :ashamed2:
got myself in such a pickle that my Auntie just finished my knitting for me :colondollar:
:ashamed:
Original post by the bear
you should take up knitting cheese :h:
I tried and failed :ashamed2:
got myself in such a pickle that my Auntie just finished my knitting for me :colondollar:
:ashamed:

ask kv to show you... i expect she is really good. :yep:
Original post by the bear
ask kv to show you... i expect she is really good. :yep:

@CoolCavy :puppyeyes:

Quick Reply

Latest