Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I got a conditional offer from Swansea Trinity St David's I have applied for the STEM course and I have received my offer and they want a grade C in order for me to go on the course I did business in college and I got the grades and I passed the business course. I was wondering what will happen if I don't pass my maths and I get a grade D. this is the information from Swansea GCSE Maths at grade C or above is also required. Our offers are not solely based on academic results. We take your skills, achievements and life experience into consideration. In such cases, they must provide evidence of capacity to pursue the course successfully. We like to give such applicants every opportunity to show that they have the motivation and ability to succeed in their chosen programme.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem. I did an access course and passed it with full distincions, but I had to do my GCSE english and maths along side it. The uni I've applied for ( Leicester ) required 3 distincions from the access, which I have achieved, and also grade C minimum of GCSE English and Maths. I've talked to them about it but they've said wait until I get my results, tottally confused at where I stand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulcompaq)
    I have the same problem. I did an access course and passed it with full distincions, but I had to do my GCSE english and maths along side it. The uni I've applied for ( Leicester ) required 3 distincions from the access, which I have achieved, and also grade C minimum of GCSE English and Maths. I've talked to them about it but they've said wait until I get my results, tottally confused at where I stand
    same i just applied for maths gcse resit again just to be on the safe side but i told
    the uni and they said just phone us up when u get your result and we will look at
    your application.

ReputationRep:
    i will probably do another full time course in college along side my maths GCSE
    resit
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HussAli1996)
    Hi I got a conditional offer from Swansea Trinity St David's I have applied for the STEM course and I have received my offer and they want a grade C in order for me to go on the course I did business in college and I got the grades and I passed the business course. I was wondering what will happen if I don't pass my maths and I get a grade D. this is the information from Swansea GCSE Maths at grade C or above is also required. Our offers are not solely based on academic results. We take your skills, achievements and life experience into consideration. In such cases, they must provide evidence of capacity to pursue the course successfully. We like to give such applicants every opportunity to show that they have the motivation and ability to succeed in their chosen programme.
    GCSE Grades are normally definite, so if you don't get it you won't get in, so look at other options for Clearing just in case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    GCSE Grades are normally definite, so if you don't get it you won't get in, so look at other options for Clearing just in case.
    Shall i take a gap year and do my GCSE maths & Sceince private as the college do it but you have to pay £425 as i got an insurance choice and they just wanted BTEC diploma PASS PASS and i dont want to go to insurance choice as i didnt like the
    uni and plus the staff their wasn't helpful.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Shall i take a gap year and do my GCSE maths & Sceince private as the college do it but you have to pay £425 as i got an insurance choice and they just wanted BTEC diploma PASS PASS and i dont want to go to insurance choice as i didnt like the
    uni and plus the staff their wasn't helpful.
    Why did you pick them as an insurance if you don't like them?, but ask them NOW if you don't want to go to them, so they can release you into clearing ( if you miss the GCSE conditions). That is an alarmingly high cost for GCSE maths and Science, just do them as a private candidate ( my entire 9 GCSE exam fees were £450!!).

ReputationRep:
    Why did you pick them as an insurance if you don't like them?, but ask them NOW if you don't want to go to them, so they can release you into clearing ( if you miss the GCSE conditions). That is an alarmingly high cost for GCSE maths and Science, just do them as a private candidate ( my entire 9 GCSE exam fees were £450!!).
    did you get finance help with the cost as i am looking for a good private candidate
    website as i looked at Cloud Learn and they charge £500 for 2 GCSE and they
    charge £91.00 which they take out every month.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    did you get finance help with the cost as i am looking for a good private candidate
    website as i looked at Cloud Learn and they charge £500 for 2 GCSE and they
    charge £91.00 which they take out every month.
    No, all self-funded at usual time, but if you've already got the resources, why pay twice?. I'm not sure on private candidate stuff though.:sorry:

ReputationRep:
    No, all self-funded at usual time, but if you've already got the resources, why pay twice?. I'm not sure on private candidate stuff though.:sorry:
    i did GCSE maths in college with WJEC exam board and i dont have the resources
    for Science shall i look at other website that do it cheaper.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    i did GCSE maths in college with WJEC exam board and i dont have the resources
    for Science shall i look at other website that do it cheaper.
    Look, or just buy the textbooks, but as I've said, I'm unsure on this stuff, so I'll leave this now.

ReputationRep:
    Look, or just buy the textbooks, but as I've said, I'm unsure on this stuff, so I'll leave this now.
    Thanks for your help i just talk to Careers Wales.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help i just talk to Careers Wales.
    I'll tag in a official rep who might be able to help. National Extension College please read the OP.

ReputationRep:
    I'll tag in a official rep who might be able to help. National Extension College please read the OP.
    Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi HussAli - it's definitely worth checking with Swansea after your results come out to see if they are happy for you to study for your GCSE while you're on your course there. If you don't get the grade you need but let them know you're happy to resit, and that you're actively working on doing so, it's all good information for them to have.

You might be able to get funding from your local authority, or the uni may be able to advise on where else you can get funding from - if you did want to take a course, you would need to pay for that and the exams separately. If you do need to resit and want to work through a GCSE Maths course for a better grade, we are offering the new 9-1 Edexcel specification for GCSE Maths with first exams in summer 2018; I'd advise waiting until you know how you've done on results day, but after that please do get in touch if we can help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by National Extension College)
    Hi HussAli - it's definitely worth checking with Swansea after your results come out to see if they are happy for you to study for your GCSE while you're on your course there. If you don't get the grade you need but let them know you're happy to resit, and that you're actively working on doing so, it's all good information for them to have.

You might be able to get funding from your local authority, or the uni may be able to advise on where else you can get funding from - if you did want to take a course, you would need to pay for that and the exams separately. If you do need to resit and want to work through a GCSE Maths course for a better grade, we are offering the new 9-1 Edexcel specification for GCSE Maths with first exams in summer 2018; I'd advise waiting until you know how you've done on results day, but after that please do get in touch if we can help!
    Thanks for the advice I also have an insurance choice with USW BUT I don't want to go to that uni as I didn't like it and plus the staff weren't that helpful. I emailed Swansea to one of the lectures and they haven't got back to me yet as I think the uni is shut through the summer.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice I also have an insurance choice with USW BUT I don't want to go to that uni as I didn't like it and plus the staff weren't that helpful. I emailed Swansea to one of the lectures and they haven't got back to me yet as I think the uni is shut through the summer.
    University staff don't get the summers off. Individuals might take their annual leave during the summer but they should have an out of office message directing you to someone else if that's the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    University staff don't get the summers off. Individuals might take their annual leave during the summer but they should have an out of office message directing you to someone else if that's the case.
    Okay thanks for your help as I mailed the admissions and one of the course leader they haven't got back to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.