Turn on thread page Beta

Barts and the London MBBS in Malta watch

• View Poll Results: So just out of interest, are you accepting your offer?
    Yes
    61.54%
    No
    38.46%

ReputationRep:
    I just got a partial scholarship (somehow it's the amount between £19,000 and £9250). I was wondering if anyone else also received this? If so, are you likely to accept? This is just so last minute and such a rush, I'm not sure what to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demmiie)
    Congratulations, that's amazing! How much will you be paying?
    Thank you! I only got a partial scholarship so il be paying €13,578 which works out at around £12,500 per year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I have accepted my offer and I will be starting in September

I thought I'd make a private facebook group for those of us that have accepted a place for when we need to talk about lectures etc etc amongst each other.

The reason I'd like to make it private is so that it stays amongst us for those purposes/ we avoid having spam posts.

If you want to be added to it then just privately give your email that you use for facebook so the group invite can be sent to your page My previous attempt at this message didn't want to post because it had an email in it... I'm not sure how TSR works but you could either privately send your email to me via tsr chat if that's allowed or the email I set up for this purpose was m.mbbs.group (at outlook).

ReputationRep:
    Aha great it posted! So, those of you that want to may give me your emails at that email address I set up and I'll send you the fb group invite!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H1nmr)
    I also got the €13578 scholarship a few days ago. Don't think I'll be accepting it because of the rush. Person I spoke to with on the phone wasn't that nice as well (perhaps foreshadowing the type of support we'll be receiving in Malta?)
    Hi there! Have you rejected yr offer? I wondered who you spoke too..but thus far, based on my experience, the staff I interacted with were helpful and nice. Especially Dr Cathy in the Dean of Education, Malta.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to everyone going here. I turned my offer down and I'm going to a British private uni. I really hope Malta comes through!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H1nmr)
    I have until Friday to decide, but will probably turn it down. Yes, Dr Cathy from my interview was nice. I spoke to a lady responsible for the hotline provided on the site. Wasn't really keen on providing genuine answers to my concerns and was quite impatient for the call to be finished
    I'm sorry to hear that. What are your concerns? Probably could help you with yr decision (if you're still deciding)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H1nmr)
    Have you accepted your offer? It's just that I only received the scholarship a few days ago, and obviously there are some essential queries I need answered before being able to make a decision. But, they acknowledged my email but haven't provided any answers (in fact, they never replied to any of my emails before this) and I'm worried that this would be a representation of how under prepared they are for the program to start this year, and also a possible reflection of the kind of support we will be receiving in Malta.
    Yes I accepted my offer w scholarship. Did you receive the Q&A attachment with an email? It has some important information regarding the course, accommodation and student support. If not, I can email it to you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, 4th year Medic at Barts and the London here.
    If anyone's still applying for Medicine and is interested in any 1-to-1 support for their application, feel free to contact me. I've been through and understand the process fully and have also helped other prospective students receive offers first time. I can provide assistance with personal statement editing according to what Med schools are looking for, guidance on the Universities best suited for your application, help on getting the right work experiences in a short time if needed, support with formatting your application to maximise your chance of an interview, and anything else you feel you'd want help with. If you're interested or would like more information, PM me to get in touch! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I am a current medical student at this university and I feel like I should warn prospective students that the experience they are expecting will not be as promised. We do not have a "newly built state of the art" university, as is advertised, and most likely won't for another 5 years. We, therefore, don't have a proper library that allows for serious study, or readily available PBL rooms etc, as we are using a few rooms in the Gozo Sixth Form College. The "newly refurbished General Hospital" which is our teaching hospital is only refurbished in the entrance, the actual consultation rooms are anything but refurbished. I suppose this doesn't matter too much, with the few patients the hospital actually sees, which isn't a surprise when you consider that this "state of the art" hospital doesn't even have something as basic as an MRI. The clinical exposure the students can thus get, is below anything you would see in the UK and undoubtedly below the standards necessitated by the GMC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymus696)
    I am a current medical student at this university and I feel like I should warn prospective students that the experience they are expecting will not be as promised. We do not have a "newly built state of the art" university, as is advertised, and most likely won't for another 5 years. We, therefore, don't have a proper library that allows for serious study, or readily available PBL rooms etc, as we are using a few rooms in the Gozo Sixth Form College. The "newly refurbished General Hospital" which is our teaching hospital is only refurbished in the entrance, the actual consultation rooms are anything but refurbished. I suppose this doesn't matter too much, with the few patients the hospital actually sees, which isn't a surprise when you consider that this "state of the art" hospital doesn't even have something as basic as an MRI. The clinical exposure the students can thus get, is below anything you would see in the UK and undoubtedly below the standards necessitated by the GMC.
    how are the lectures delivered? is it the same lecturers as London? I am thinking of applying in Jan but it seems like it is not a good as they advertise....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by check123)
    how are the lectures delivered? is it the same lecturers as London? I am thinking of applying in Jan but it seems like it is not a good as they advertise....
    Some of the lecturers are actually from London and will stay for a week at a time, which means that the quality is good, but they are not easily accessible after they leave. It also means that you have chunks of lectures on the same topic on the same day, which might not give you time to fully process what should be, and is, delivered over a longer period of time, as it is in London. The lectures that aren't delivered by the London lecturers are fine, but the material is quite different to that taught in London, which means that you run the risk of not having been taught material that you will be examined on since the London lecturers write the exam. I would strongly advise you to consider alternative options, as I believe you might be let down.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the lecturers are actually from London and will stay for a week at a time, which means that the quality is good, but they are not easily accessible after they leave. It also means that you have chunks of lectures on the same topic on the same day, which might not give you time to fully process what should be, and is, delivered over a longer period of time, as it is in London. The lectures that aren't delivered by the London lecturers are fine, but the material is quite different to that taught in London, which means that you run the risk of not having been taught material that you will be examined on since the London lecturers write the exam. I would strongly advise you to consider alternative options, as I believe you might be let down.
    wow! so you really don't see the lecturers after they leave :O how many of you guys there actually atm? are there many internationals? because I am coming from the UK but I got Hong Kong passport. I only moved here 3 years ago. are u a British Student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by check123)
    wow! so you really don't see the lecturers after they leave :O how many of you guys there actually atm? are there many internationals? because I am coming from the UK but I got Hong Kong passport. I only moved here 3 years ago. are u a British Student?
    no, you don't see them after they leave. With some leaving the course, there are 42 of us left. It's more or less 50/50 between international and British students.

ReputationRep:
    no, you don't see them after they leave. With some leaving the course, there are 42 of us left. It's more or less 50/50 between international and British students.
    thanks alot for your info.I will rethink about my application because I don't want to waste money if they are not providing proper education. i applied to UK universities but I didn't get any this time. So I am taking an year out. I will have to pay international fees anyway since I dont have british passport yet. that's why I thought this would be a good option for me to get the Barts degree studying in Malta.

Its a shame to see that you guys are not having a proper library paying 35,000 Euros

I hope they will sort it out for you all. if not they should transfer you all to London school.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this information. I hope this helps others but mostly gets the word out there and they return you and the rest of the team to London and shut this program down until they have a proper fully realised plan. Although, I doubt this would be as they still won’t be getting a lot of patient traffic. I had been offered a place on the course and was even being enticed to accept my offer by the school but I declined. I was told by a relative that Gozo was such a small island and through my research was told that the consultants were already oversubscribed due to the number of medical students already at U of Malta and the small population even on the main island of Malta. I think I posted something about that before and talked to one or two students on here. Again I really hope things get fixed. I’m off to a private university in the U.K. which isn’t my first choice after botching my medicine application previously. Let us know how we can help, if we can help.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like the course is not meeting the standards they expected.

Are you going to Buckingham uni? I am going to apply for it this year.

ReputationRep:
    If u don't mind me asking, how is it like to like over there when you compare to London? As in expenses, travelling etc?

ReputationRep:
    I am deeply saddened to read this thread. I am the Barts president here in Gozo and we are very proud of our University and what we have accomplished. The teaching is top rate; we were just visited by Professor Dame Parveen Kumar, who was delighted to see for herself what a very capable, intelligent and astute cohort we are. We are exceptionally fortunate to have Doctor Catherine Molyneux as our anatomy teacher who is one of the top anatomy teachers in the UK. Furthermore, we regularly have visiting lecturers, who are very advanced in their fields and confirm that the teaching and academics that we are receiving here in Gozo are second to none. Our GP placements are on Malta, which is a little bit of a journey, but our small groups mean that we receive ample attention in the pre-clinical setting. Not only is the small number of people in our cohort (42) a blessing in our placements but it is also an advantage academically. I previously attended Newcastle University, where I was one of 40,000, in other words just a number. We are fortunate in that we have personalised attention from each and every one of the academic and administrative staff, who know us by name and personally. We have established our own student association called the Gozo Society, which has strong links to the London BLSA. We have set up sports clubs and events and as a whole our cohort are very enthusiastic to be here. Gozo provides a wonderful setting for our studies; the people are wonderful, the weather is warm and we live right on the sea front. It is very rare that you can go for a quick dip in the sea after a tough day of lectures, and we take full advantage of this. I can spend the same amount of money in 3 months as I would in one month in London, since travel, accommodation and expenses are very reasonable. We are currently situated in a sixth form school with a fantastic anatomy lab and computer suite, with state of the art technology. It is true that library space is slightly on the smaller side but this is something that is being dealt with to accommodate us as we speak. The University are in talks to provide us with gym memberships (for free, something that would not happen in London) and the accommodation itself is clean, brand new and very comfortable (our residences even have a pool). It is my view that this thread does not reflect the feelings of the cohort. It is clear to see how much effort Professor Anthony Warrens, Doctor Catherine Molyneux, and the other wonderful staff, have put into this project. They are all very passionate about the new medical school on Gozo and are determined to make it a success. We were shown plans of the new school that is currently being built (to be ready in approximately September 2018) and we were absolutely blown away, they are fantastic. Our cohort is small, but like one happy family as cliched as it may sound. We are happy and positive and have every faith that we are receiving a world class medical education. I cannot emphasis this enough. The decision to move to Gozo with Barts and the London has by far been the best decision I have ever made. I would fully recommend anyone looking to study medicine in a fun, warm environment to apply for entry in 2018. Please feel free to reply to me on this thread or email me at [email protected] if you have any further questions.

ReputationRep:
    I strongly recommend any prospective students to visit the school and accommodation before making a decision that would greatly impact you. I can’t describe the excellence of the course and facilities, because you have to see them with your own eyes and judge to see if those are what you want.

Good luck to all prospective medical students. (:

For the benefits of prospective students, can I kindly request GozoPresBarts to provide visual aids (i.e. pictures) of the current facilities that the students are using? Such as the fantastic anatomy lab?

Thank you very much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 3, 2018

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.